F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the Brexit vote to leave the EU affect the cost of Jaguars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Bret_T
+1, there's way more involved in the issue than just free trade. If it was just about free trade, I think it would have been a no-brainer for them to stay in. I'm happy for Great Britain.

In the long run I think that Great Britain will be stronger economically due to not having to support other EU countries that are weaker economically. This of course assumes that they're able to negotiate good free trade deals with those left in the EU.
That is a very flawed assumption. The EU has already indicated they will take a tough stance against the UK and will impose the maximum penalties for the withdrawal. The U.K. economy was shaky before entry into the EU. As investment in the UK comes to a complete standstill, their economy is doomed. Hopefully, the initiative (already with 3 million signatures) to reopen the referendum, after people are educated on what the EU actually is and what it's loss will cost, is successful.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:54 AM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Wow . . .

This group has done a good job of keeping silly political commentary out of the F-Type forum. I hope it stays that way.

This thread sought to solicit views with regard to the effect of the UK election on the cost of Jaguars, and to some extent the UK auto industry in general.
Oh for heavens sake lighten up.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:25 PM
Received 2,632 Likes on 1,813 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
That is a very flawed assumption. The EU has already indicated they will take a tough stance against the UK and will impose the maximum penalties for the withdrawal. The U.K. economy was shaky before entry into the EU. As investment in the UK comes to a complete standstill, their economy is doomed. Hopefully, the initiative (already with 3 million signatures) to reopen the referendum, after people are educated on what the EU actually is and what it's loss will cost, is successful.
We must wait and see what 'exit deal' a future British Government can negotiate with the EU. There does not appear to be any plan for a second referendum as the choice has already been made.

David Cameron is to step down as PM in October and the Tories must then choose a new leader. If anything is more likely, it is a general election before the end of the year as Labour is in disarray as well with Corbyn facing a no-confidence vote within his own party after many members of the shadow cabinet resigned.

Whatever is the future for the UK, the majority of voters, rightly or wrongly, have chosen the way and now it is up to the next government to move down that path. Along the way are Scotland's desire to remain in the EU and the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic, just to name some of the challenges ahead.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:30 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

This group has done a good job of keeping silly political commentary out of the F-Type forum. I hope it stays that way.
Me too. Look back to the first page where the British voters and US voters were called stupid. My point at least is that they were smart for doing what they did.[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by Unhingd
That is a very flawed assumption. The EU has already indicated they will take a tough stance against the UK and will impose the maximum penalties for the withdrawal.
When they threaten that if you don't allow those far away to govern you, they will destroy you with punitive economic sanctions, it's all the more time to leave as it's obvious they're not your friends and they don't really care about your quality of life.

The U.K. economy was shaky before entry into the EU. As investment in the UK comes to a complete standstill, their economy is doomed.
Why is the UK economy shaky? Why is the US economy and the economies of many other countries shaky? Well, it's not lack of free trade (which I'm all for) as there's more free trade now than ever. These economies are shaky because governments are draining the fruits of their citizens labor. No amount of free trade will offset this problem. A more centralized larger government will not offset this problem. Governments have to get smaller, take less and operate more on a local level in order for their citizens to prosper economically.

Hopefully, the initiative (already with 3 million signatures) to reopen the referendum, after people are educated on what the EU actually is and what it's loss will cost, is successful.
It's funny how the ruling class just can't accept the will of the people they govern. Will they respect the vote? No way! They'll do whatever they have to in order to keep and grow their power. Had the measure failed, that would be the end of it and the idea of a revote would not even be discussed. Now they're wanting a do over so they can have another opportunity to pour out more doom & gloom propaganda and threats.

The following users liked this post:
SoCalJagS (06-27-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

I think you have things a little backwards there, chief. According to the accounts I've been reading yesterday and today, it's the people who voted to leave signing petitions asking for a new referendum because many are only now understanding what it really means. Many thought it was just a way to control immigration.

The soon to be outgoing PM and "ruling class" are now saying "no new referendum, it's a done deal, the people have spoken."

Back to cars, I also just saw the UK credit rating was just downgraded making it more expensive to borrow money.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-27-2016 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:55 PM

I think you have things a little backwards there, chief. According to the accounts I've been reading yesterday and today, it's the people who voted to leave signing petitions asking for a new referendum because many are only now understanding what it really means. Many thought it was just a way to control immigration.
No need to get testy, just sharing my view. You don't really think they'd just admit that the vote didn't go the way they wanted, so they want to keep voting until it does? Of course they're going to play it off that they're trying to do the will of the people. If it had gone the other way and people were signing a petition for another vote, you wouldn't hear a word about it.

The soon to be outgoing PM and "ruling class" are now saying "no new referendum, it's a done deal, the people have spoken."
The fact that some have to say that the results must be respected speaks volumes about the mentality of most of those who govern (not just in the UK, but most everywhere). Some things should just go without saying.

BTW, we're awarding semiannual materials contracts for my business and we'll be buying more from the UK in the second half of this year than we ever have. Perhaps a vendor inspection in the UK will be on my agenda? I'd love to stop off at the F-Type factory to see the assembly process.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member

Testy? . . . relax, that was light-hearted, but you sound a little wound-up. :-)

Old 06-27-2016, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bret_T
BTW, we're awarding semiannual materials contracts for my business and we'll be buying more from the UK in the second half of this year than we ever have. Perhaps a vendor inspection in the UK will be on my agenda? I'd love to stop off at the F-Type factory to see the assembly process.
That would be great. Swing by Aston Martin too, I believe they and Jaguar are neighbors. Love to see the pictures!

Old 06-27-2016, 04:36 PM
Received 2,632 Likes on 1,813 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalJagS
That would be great. Swing by Aston Martin too, I believe they and Jaguar are neighbors. Love to see the pictures!
Well, not quite neighbours as it is a bit of a drive on the M42 and M40 between Castle Bromwich and Gaydon.

Could be an interesting visit to both locations.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by NBCat
Well, not quite neighbours as it is a bit of a drive on the M42 and M40 between Castle Bromwich and Gaydon.

Could be an interesting visit to both locations.
Thanks, I didn't know, but yes it would be nice to visit both.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:43 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I find it quite amusing that your side of the pond is getting as worked up about this as our side is

Old 06-27-2016, 05:01 PM

That occurred to me, but many of the issues are the same.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I do find it amazing that the vote took place, no economic plan to be communicated has come about and the rest of the world is watching, i.e. Putin to Obama to CEO's and beyond. A frenzy is underway.

I wouldn't venture the price of anything going forward until a plan is put in place. As was stated earlier, I think the people voted, had a reason for the vote (one way or another), and as always a lot of questions remain to be answered. For Cameron to resign, Putin to weigh in, and Obama to state the people have spoken but I don't agree......., that is the tip of the iceberg.

The future is in question one way or another, and I wish not only our brothers and sisters in the UK a great and rewarding outcome, but also the emotion of the rest of the economically connected world a bit of patience and calm. Hell, 1,000 point drop in the DOW.....it's a sale :-)!

Jaguar prices for the future....."who the hell knows"!? I didn't cancel my order (a Jersey Guy showing how he wings it) :-)

Last edited by slojotaa; 06-27-2016 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

My favorite observation is that the #1 Google search in the UK over the weekend was "what does it mean to leave the EU?"

Balance that with the polls that show most Hillary supporters are more voting against Trump than for her, while most Trump supporters are voting against Hillary than for him.

Is there any doubt where we came from?

Old 06-28-2016, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member

Very good point . . . :-)

Old 01-05-2017, 08:26 PM

Now that the hysteria has finally calmed down, it doesn't seem the UK economy has suffered.
Britain has world?s top economy | News | The Times & The Sunday Times

Old 01-06-2017, 12:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Brexit hasn't actually taken place, may take 2 years to exit and cost to be paid to EU yet to be negotiated.