F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the F type be a collector's car? If so, which model would it most likely be?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 09:22 AM
Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Will the F type be a collector's car? If so, which model would it most likely be?

Not an owner......yet! Hoping to buy when the right deal comes along. Budget has been an issue and I've considered selling my '69 Corvette Stingray to help fund the F type, but I just can't seem to let it go. This had me wondering about the F type's collector car status in 30, 40 years.
The F type is such an amazing car, beautiful, powerful, classic timeless design, and of course that exhaust note. How could it not become a 'classic' collector's car down the road?
I would assume that the SVR would likely be the model most coveted 40 years from now (although I've read that its the most depreciating model today). Actually, the Project 7 would likely be the most sought after but only the 1%'ers would be able to afford that one.
Will my grandkids look at the F type like I do my classic corvette?
Anyone planning on keeping their F type and handing it down some day?

Old 11-04-2019, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

There is no way to predict what a car's worth will or could be in 40 years. You have a better shot at getting struck by lightning. Car's are not investments. Even in the rare case that they do appreciate over their lifetime, it will likely not be within your lifetime. Buy it, drive it, enjoy it with the short time you have on this earth.

The following 5 users liked this post by Mahjik:
catfreak (12-21-2022), HermanWiegman (12-24-2022), OlyFtype (12-23-2022), RickyJay52 (11-04-2019), TR64ever (11-11-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 09:50 AM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by SonofGaladriel
Not an owner......yet! Hoping to buy when the right deal comes along. Budget has been an issue and I've considered selling my '69 Corvette Stingray to help fund the F type, but I just can't seem to let it go. This had me wondering about the F type's collector car status in 30, 40 years.
The F type is such an amazing car, beautiful, powerful, classic timeless design, and of course that exhaust note. How could it not become a 'classic' collector's car down the road?
I would assume that the SVR would likely be the model most coveted 40 years from now (although I've read that its the most depreciating model today). Actually, the Project 7 would likely be the most sought after but only the 1%'ers would be able to afford that one.
Will my grandkids look at the F type like I do my classic corvette?
Anyone planning on keeping their F type and handing it down some day?
I' m planning in keeping mine and handing it to no one. As far as collectibility, that assumes the next generation will value cars and have money. Neither will be true so no.

The following 2 users liked this post by RacerX:
Chawumba (11-04-2019), Pauluucho (12-26-2022)
Old 11-04-2019, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Numerous threads on this exact topic. May I suggest doing a search?

Old 11-04-2019, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

The likely candidates for eventual and very long term appreciation : SVR, V8S, '15 R (RWD), V6S-MT . The P7 will appreciate far more quickly. As Mahjik says. Except in very rare cases, collectible cars are not a good investment. A market index fund will with few exceptions return a much higher yield. With collector cars you have to keep feeding the beast even if you don't drive it: storage, insurance, maintenance, etc. Not so with index funds.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
jcb-memphis (12-21-2022), Terrance39 (02-19-2020)
Old 11-04-2019, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

Every car is a collectible to some small group of folks. Think DB7 -- is it wildly collectible? Nope -- but are there folks willing to pay $50 to $60k, for an example. That being said, I don't exactly see the F-Type as a collector car.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:56 AM
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX
....... As far as collectibility, that assumes the next generation will value cars and have money. Neither will be true so no.
My wife and I had a few conversations over the past years about our cars, and if cars will be as coveted to later generations (i.e. our children) as they are to me; particularity our older cars. However, I saw some hope this summer. On a whim we took two "old" British cars to a euro car show nearby (it's near one of our favorite restaurants). It had to be 95% tuners, VW GTI, Audi, etc. and the average age must have been in the 20s. Hard to say, they all look like kids these days. :-) But there were a few older cars there owned by these "kids". The thing is I spend a good amount of time talking with a bunch of them as many came over to look at our old cars. They asked lots of questions and seem very interested in them. When I, some old guy in a driving cap, talked with them about their cars, you could tell they clearly loved their cars. Think how surprised we were when they asked us to bring our cars up for the presentation of the trophies; not the reason we went for sure and not expected. This was one of those peoples (attendees) choice awards. My point is I think there there still is a strong group of young car enthusiast out there; including appreciation for some old stuff. Perhaps we don't think of the tuner/boy racer generation as car people, but I think at some of them might be. It gave me hope. Although still not sure about my own children. :-)

I found this YouTube video someone posted about the show. Not trying to promote anything, but it gives you an idea of what the future car collector looks like today. The old British cars made video.

The following users liked this post:
Pauluucho (12-26-2022)
Old 11-04-2019, 11:19 AM
Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

Apologies for having brought an already tired subject back to the front page RickJay52.
Thank you to the rest of you for your courteous replies!
Got it! Don't plan on holding onto the F type for your grandkids in 30/40 years. But, I have to think that even then, an 'old' F type will catch many an eye!

Last edited by SonofGaladriel; 11-04-2019 at 11:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SonofGaladriel:
BruceTheQuail (11-04-2019), Pauluucho (12-26-2022)
Old 11-04-2019, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Apologies for having brought an already tired subject back to the front page RickJay52.
Got it! Don't plan on holding onto the F type for your grandkids in 30/40 years. But, I have to think that even then, an 'old' F type will catch many an eye!
No apologies needed whatsoever! I was merely suggesting that you might WANT to do a search on these pages but creating a new thread seeking new thoughts and opinion are always welcomed!

And, for the record, I have a 2015 V6S which I do not plan to ever let go.

P.S. Rumor has it Unhingd plans on being buried in (or with) his!

Pauluucho (12-26-2022)
Old 11-04-2019, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Quite possible in 30-40 years, gasoline engines may be outlawed so the worth of something that can't be used will be less than a paperweight.

Old 11-04-2019, 12:12 PM
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

+1, no apologies required.

Old 11-04-2019, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I have exceptionally good taste in cars, any car I own will be a collectable.

Especially my F-type with its unique lift kit and rolling coal mods. Also lambo doors and hood window with an aggressively orange engine cover.

The following 3 users liked this post by SinF:
Carbuff2 (11-05-2019), NigelW (11-04-2019), scm (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 03:49 PM
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The likely candidates for eventual and very long term appreciation : SVR, V8S, '15 R (RWD), V6S-MT . The P7 will appreciate far more quickly. As Mahjik says. Except in very rare cases, collectible cars are not a good investment. A market index fund will with few exceptions return a much higher yield. With collector cars you have to keep feeding the beast even if you don't drive it: storage, insurance, maintenance, etc. Not so with index funds.
You do get to drive the car whilst your money is invested though, which while adding a little risk probably is offset by the expense of de/recommissioning cars that are long term stored. I wish I could say I did this deliberately but 20+ years ago someone was selling a Porsche 993 for a reasonable price and I thought I'd be silly, borrow the money, have a few months with a neat ride and then sell it probably without losing any money at all. Of course I got a bit attached to the thing so I didn't sell it but had I been sensible and sold 5-10 years ago I'd have had 10 years in a wonderful 911 and earned about $45k at the same time which beats an index fund in my book.

Sad subscript is that I was made storage promises that turn out not to have been kept so it's going to probably wipe out any profit to do a decent recommissioning but it was still a great experience.

I'm not expecting miracles from my F type, but like Unhingd suggested the v8s may be one of the slower depreciators, particularly in the UK where many people think you're nuts if you have big engined vehicles.

Old 11-08-2019, 02:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't know about 'Classic' or future classic, but I don't plan to let mine go. I went to have a look at a V8S Vert and an R8 V8 a few months ago, both part of my previous domiciles overstock problem and at extremely good money, and still decided that they weren't worth the upgrade premium.

Plan to to upgrade my brakes for the Wortec's, do the VAP upgrade(s) and maybe sort out the remainder of my 'Sticky' problems, but that is about it, the rest of the car is absolute mint. There is nothing on the market that seriously floats my boat (apart from a DB11 and I am not there unfortunately) and for the money, I don't think there is a serious challenger. Where I am now in Spain, they are actually holding, and even gaining a bit, so maybe that is an indication, for a laugh I tried one of those crappy 'Buy my Car' websites and they offered me 35K Euros the other day, for a 2014 BASE! (it is in the sexiest colour combo tho....)

Old 11-08-2019, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

In my opinion, the F-Type is already a classic. It's a bit of an anachronism is this age. The loud, shouty exhaust... the raw, supercharged V8...the oh so sexy lines... Then there's the outdated, underwhelming infotainment system.

I bought mine as a 30 year car. I plan on owning it until I have to go to Mexico to buy gas in a back alley and then years past that. From the first moment I saw the car, I fell in love with the lines. The effect seems near universal as the amount of attention it gets is near overwhelming. I have to think that all, along with relatively low production numbers, makes for a recipe for collectability. Honestly, I don't care though. It's a collector for me. I know if I sell this car, years down the road I'll wish I hadn't.

I agree with the assessment that the '15 R will be a collector as a one year make of AWD. The V8 S will probably be, too, and as others have said, the SVR, Project 7 and MT S.

scm (11-08-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

By the time I hand mine down I hope to have devalued it to zero by actually driving it and not making it a garage queen. Sorry daughter, buy your own.

The following 2 users liked this post by stmcknig:
Mbourne (11-09-2019), TR64ever (11-11-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

2015 RWD R will likely be the best collector car our of the bunch, even w/ SVR and Project 7, possible. Maybe.
a 2016-2019 manual 6cyl will be a "value" oriented classic.
I saw this in KMSCM the other day, and will continually update here the auctions I see. It's interesting to track. I am sure BaT has a nice graph charting all the recent exchanges/sales.

nb: I couldn't upload a photo via chrome desktop, firefox desktop, samsung mobile browser, nor chrome mobile browser.
Here's a link to the auction: https://photos.app.goo.gl/5YYQ3FsXpwWYG7TY9

Last edited by Uncle Fishbits; 11-11-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:29 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

I hate to say it, but I wonder if any cars will be collectible in 50 years. Will we all have electric cars and have to special order gasoline? I just wonder if supply will outsize demand and it will all come crashing down. Might be good for us enthusiasts looking to score cheap dream cars, but no idea what the market will really look like. Seems to me like the whole collectible car market is in a crazy bubble right now with boomers and others buying cars. When they are gone will the interest remain?

Old 11-11-2019, 06:45 PM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

The adults with money covet the cars of their youth, it's a rolling cycle. Not much market for 50s Chevy anymore.
Brass cars and steamers are either in museums or being driven by Jay Lenno.
1960s Muscle cars are going strong...when you look at the market it is the original high-spec models that have survived and bring the best value: so I think the F-Type V-8s are going to win this battle, the RWD pre-2016 models probably have my vote for collectible and the Project 7 and SVRs. The more modern versions move away from the classic CX16 prototype that made it into production as the F-Type.
I covet a 1960s Chevy Corvair Convertible for summer use only at the beach only: 50 years on all the survivors are the high-spec Monzas, Yankos, fuel-injected and other limited editions, the basic Corvairs were scrapped long ago.
I feel sorry for the owners of 15+ year old ultra-low-miles cars I see on Bring A Trailer: buy the car to DRIVE IT NOW. Don't buy it as an investment. Don't expect it to hold its value.
I've put 31,000 miles on my F-Type in 4 1/2 years, I hope I can use every drop up and when the car's done, I'll be done too...
I do worry that in 15 years my F-Type will still look great and I'll get in to start it one day and the computers will be dead/fried: JLR will say "sorry, we don't support antiques like that anymore...come in and buy a new one." I think what will kill our cars is electronic obsolescence, some tiny IC will fail and no one will be able to fix it. But now I can take my car out for a good 85 mile drive with bursts of silly speeds and it doesn't matter...I'm here for TODAY with my F-Type.
"Keep it between the hedges with the rubber-side down."

The following 2 users liked this post by TR64ever:
CA Jag (12-25-2022), scm (11-12-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Might be worth putting a fully programmed spare ECU on the shelf. Everything else can be bypassed and resolved with a bit of ingenuity and a machine shop.

The following 3 users liked this post by Unhingd:
jcb-memphis (12-21-2022), TR64ever (11-12-2019), Uncle Fishbits (11-12-2019)

Quick Reply: Will the F type be a collector's car? If so, which model would it most likely be?