F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the F type be a collector's car? If so, which model would it most likely be?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 07:13 AM
Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

Collectible yes, investment no not really. Not many attainable cars are investments after you net out all ALL the costs of ownership and even then you have to wait half a lifetime.

The f type is a classic shape that still draws attention 6 or so years into production and has the muscle to back it up.

Anything with a V8 will always be more desirable as history has shown so my guess is the original RWD as it’s the purest and most rare.

As as I ordered my 20 R just the way I like it I do plan on keeping it for no other reason than it makes me giggle every time I drive it and of course it is beautiful to look at. I thoroughly enjoyed my 2015 S but I find torque intoxicating and love the look of of the quad pipes.

Like everyone on here I've already “collected” mine so mission accomplished!

The following users liked this post:
scm (11-12-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 08:01 AM
Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by TR64ever
The adults with money covet the cars of their youth, it's a rolling cycle. Not much market for 50s Chevy anymore.
Brass cars and steamers are either in museums or being driven by Jay Lenno.
1960s Muscle cars are going strong...when you look at the market it is the original high-spec models that have survived and bring the best value: so I think the F-Type V-8s are going to win this battle, the RWD pre-2016 models probably have my vote for collectible and the Project 7 and SVRs. The more modern versions move away from the classic CX16 prototype that made it into production as the F-Type.
I covet a 1960s Chevy Corvair Convertible for summer use only at the beach only: 50 years on all the survivors are the high-spec Monzas, Yankos, fuel-injected and other limited editions, the basic Corvairs were scrapped long ago.
I feel sorry for the owners of 15+ year old ultra-low-miles cars I see on Bring A Trailer: buy the car to DRIVE IT NOW. Don't buy it as an investment. Don't expect it to hold its value.
I've put 31,000 miles on my F-Type in 4 1/2 years, I hope I can use every drop up and when the car's done, I'll be done too...
I do worry that in 15 years my F-Type will still look great and I'll get in to start it one day and the computers will be dead/fried: JLR will say "sorry, we don't support antiques like that anymore...come in and buy a new one." I think what will kill our cars is electronic obsolescence, some tiny IC will fail and no one will be able to fix it. But now I can take my car out for a good 85 mile drive with bursts of silly speeds and it doesn't matter...I'm here for TODAY with my F-Type.
"Keep it between the hedges with the rubber-side down."
Well said!

Old 11-12-2019, 08:42 AM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Thats a good question - will modern cars run in 50 years? The answer is probably not.

Definitely not, for anything dependent on a Li-On battery to run, those are iffy in 10 years. The original 2008-13 Tesla Roadster is already unsupported and was forced to be re-batteried once already "at Tesla's cost" (at the bargain price of $29,000) for early Li-On failure bricking too many cars.

Barn finds are joys of the past.

Uncle Fishbits (11-12-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 09:23 AM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

Not sure batteries will be the problem -- Jay Leno is driving around in a 1909 Baker Electric car
The trend in batteries is higher-and-higher power densities: more power/storage in smaller spaces, and I don't think we're close to the physical limits of what a chemical battery can store, maybe in 50 years people will re-power their Tesla's with a small suit-case sized electric power plant. Their problem will be getting the battery management computers and software to talk to the new batteries.
Jaguar E-Types have fared surprisingly well and all flavors (6 cyl, 12 cyl, coupe, convertible) have fared well in terms of keeping their value and having excellent support and parts availability. The E-Type design is timeless. If you're buying automotive art and are not into modern performance than I can see the appeal of a vintage E-Type -- and today you can buy a JLR approved electric conversion for the E-Type power train and JLR support is better-than-ever for the E-Type.
More and more of today's cars come standard with vision systems, collision avoidance systems, automatic braking, lane keeping, self-driving features. I think our F-Types are part of the last generation of "Drivers Cars" where some degree of skill is required to keep them on the road, so I think the F-Type will be a classic. The traction control and stability control systems are excellent (and can be turned off). In terms of handling, the F-Type is a fantastic value compared to the super-cars of just 20 years ago. Plus, they are safe, reliable, serviceable, not temperamental and the convertibles don't leak at the first sign of rain. They are also built to last unlike the British cars of 50 years ago which were notorious for rusting on the boat when on the way over from England as new cars. I hope their will always be niche experts (perhaps even sanctioned by JLR) who will be committed to helping us (or our children) keep these cars on the road in 50 years.
I retired a Jaguar X-Type Sport Wagon after 150,000 miles: the X-Type engine and power-train was unique, low-volume and can't be economically re-built, the only source of parts or motors is a wrecked X-Type. JLR didn't want to have anything to do with the cars 5-years after production ended. I don't think the X-Type will ever be called a "classic" (the dog liked it). I hope/think JLR will support the F-Type for a long time to come.

Old 11-12-2019, 10:51 AM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Not batteries, Li-On batteries. See Table 3:
https://batteryuniversity.com/index....ased_batteries

Lithium chemistries are both time bound, as well as use bound. Of the two, the time-bound losses are probably the more problematic for use in autos.

Anecdotally, Rich Rebuilds got his salvage Tesla's maintenance records from the original owner. Tesla won't release records so its rare to get a glimpse of longevity. His 125,000 mile 2012 Model S was on its third battery pack and third drive train.

The Leaf provides a better view, since as has a large user base with history, and the Li-On pack is easily replaced for the "small" sum of $6000-$7000. Still, it has the lowest resale retention of any car in history.

So its not "EV" thats a long term killer, its Lithium chemistry. To the contrary, Porsche had the first all electric line-up in 1909. EVs have been the future of the automobile for a long, long time.

Last edited by RacerX; 11-12-2019 at 11:02 AM.
SinF (11-12-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by caviarjag
I hate to say it, but I wonder if any cars will be collectible in 50 years. Will we all have electric cars and have to special order gasoline? I just wonder if supply will outsize demand and it will all come crashing down. Might be good for us enthusiasts looking to score cheap dream cars, but no idea what the market will really look like. Seems to me like the whole collectible car market is in a crazy bubble right now with boomers and others buying cars. When they are gone will the interest remain?
I am consumed with this. Regulations on gas cars on autonomous roadways, or mostly electric grids.... insurance will become prohibitive, especially as most cars won't crash, but just have insurance for a fallen branch. Where are the gas stations, and how expensive are they? Classics or race cars.... are they even allowed outside closed tracks? Following car evaluations, Monterey was a **** SHOW this year, and evaluations are TANKING. Especially on american classics, as the surging markets are Japanese imports and 4WD. The cars people want now are the maturing millennial markets who had miami vice posters in their rooms, and don't care about the mechanization of the assembly line era of autos. I wrote about this a bit, here... the overall, overarching issues are insane.
Guys. GUYS. It's really happening - Driverless Cars are happening in our lifetimes. - Hraba Hospitality Consulting

I think the best case is anyone who wants to pick up any car they want, basically, can do so if they want to watch it fall apart in front of their eyes.

Someone should make a small utopia where car enthusiasts can live like a city state, and trade emissions caps somehow. =(

Old 11-12-2019, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
Monterey was a **** SHOW this year, and evaluations are TANKING. Especially on american classics
Everyone seen this coming. There is only so much aging boomers would be able to consume. The market is fully saturated.

Anecdote - I recently went shopping for a second home in the countryside. Most of these are currently held by retired and aging-out boomers. Most of the houses I seen had a classic muscle car in the garage. These people are now downsizing and entering assisted living. In a couple years their cars will be nearly worthless. In 2025 I might pick up a nice 69 Mustang for 1-2K and enter into demolition derby with it. Millennials are not anti-car, but are anti-Boomer and that includes disliking Boomer's classic cars.

Last edited by SinF; 11-12-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:18 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

I am consumed with this. Regulations on gas cars on autonomous roadways, or mostly electric grids.... insurance will become prohibitive, especially as most cars won't crash, but just have insurance for a fallen branch. Where are the gas stations, and how expensive are they? Classics or race cars.... are they even allowed outside closed tracks? Following car evaluations, Monterey was a **** SHOW this year, and evaluations are TANKING. Especially on american classics, as the surging markets are Japanese imports and 4WD. The cars people want now are the maturing millennial markets who had miami vice posters in their rooms, and don't care about the mechanization of the assembly line era of autos. I wrote about this a bit, here... the overall, overarching issues are insane.
Guys. GUYS. It's really happening - Driverless Cars are happening in our lifetimes. - Hraba Hospitality Consulting

I think the best case is anyone who wants to pick up any car they want, basically, can do so if they want to watch it fall apart in front of their eyes.

Someone should make a small utopia where car enthusiasts can live like a city state, and trade emissions caps somehow. =(
Exactly my thoughts. Will be even be allowed to drive the classics in 2050? Granted it’s a long way off, but something to think about. As an aside, last time we went house shopping we considered putting an offer in on a beautiful waterfront house outside nyc—but it was 7 feet above the high tide line. The house ultimately sold for half of what it was probably worth 10 years ago before Sandy and sea level rise got so much attention. My wife and I had the debate of whether the short term enjoyment was worth losing a large amount of money on what might be a worthless house in 30 years. We decided to pass (in combination with the short term flood risks). Might the current crop of cars and classics suffer the same fate? My thought is enjoy them now while we can, but I can’t see going long on any of them.

Old 11-13-2019, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by caviarjag
Might the current crop of cars and classics suffer the same fate? My thought is enjoy them now while we can, but I can’t see going long on any of them.
Housing is fascinating. Boomers are trying to sell, but they think their McMansions are worth more than they are worth, namely because attitudes shifted and people like me (Gen-X) realize "bigger house, mo stuff, mo crap, mo problems", and now the millennials don't even want the approx 1100sq ft we have. So the housing market crisis will be another thing.... just like I've warned friends with classic car collection of non-marquee, domestic US cars.... SELL NOW. Because values will fall in the next 10 or so.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/reale...0d8_story.html
https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-growi...es-11553181782
https://www.businessinsider.com/mill...roblems-2019-3
https://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/...s-millennials/

It's a microcosm of what's going to be a big shift. What's more, our population is cratering, and 1st world populations are massively declining, as well as China. I think the only net population gain in the next 20 years is Africa. So expect a lot of our cars to end up over there. The fact is that a) people don't want 1920-1970 classic USA autos, b) car enthusiasm in general is lessening, c) boomers dying/selling off, d) and regulatory/insurance/driving issues cloud the investment to begin with.

It's going to be unreal. Now I am really thinking of just buying random land in the middle of nowhere for people to just drive around. LOL

Old 11-13-2019, 12:21 PM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

1100 sq ft!
How many residents, including children under 26 (the current age of emancipation)?
The reason I'm curious is: my son and his wife owned a McMansion just outside Richmond, but when they moved back to the Low Country they decided to downsize to something in the 1800 sq ft range. Now that they are expecting their second child they are in the market for more space.
Things can get might cozy and cluttered with two adults and two children in too small a space.

Old 11-13-2019, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

Housing is fascinating. Boomers are trying to sell, but they think their McMansions are worth more than they are worth, namely because attitudes shifted and people like me (Gen-X) realize "bigger house, mo stuff, mo crap, mo problems", and now the millennials don't even want the approx 1100sq ft we have. So the housing market crisis will be another thing.... just like I've warned friends with classic car collection of non-marquee, domestic US cars.... SELL NOW. Because values will fall in the next 10 or so.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/reale...0d8_story.html
https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-growi...es-11553181782
https://www.businessinsider.com/mill...roblems-2019-3
https://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/...s-millennials/

It's a microcosm of what's going to be a big shift. What's more, our population is cratering, and 1st world populations are massively declining, as well as China. I think the only net population gain in the next 20 years is Africa. So expect a lot of our cars to end up over there. The fact is that a) people don't want 1920-1970 classic USA autos, b) car enthusiasm in general is lessening, c) boomers dying/selling off, d) and regulatory/insurance/driving issues cloud the investment to begin with.

It's going to be unreal. Now I am really thinking of just buying random land in the middle of nowhere for people to just drive around. LOL
That may apply in the cities, where people are moving to walkable lifestyles and trade off with smaller spaces; however, people who choose to move into the suburbs or country do so to get space. Land, garages, house sizes, etc. I don't see that trend changing. Downtown, people typically have street parking and some will pay a premium for a parking spot. Many will not have a car at all, or one car shared by two people, used on weekends. Ride Sharing and Car Sharing make not having a car more manageable.

People who want to live in the cities will continue doing so with small residents. People who choose not to live in the city will go for space.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

As with my F-Type, I'm not concerned about resale value on our home. Won't have a need for either, or any $$$, wherever I'm headed.

jcb-memphis (12-21-2022)
Old 11-13-2019, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
As with my F-Type, I'm not concerned about resale value on our home. Won't have a need for either, or any $$$, wherever I'm headed.
The nursing home or the cemetery I guess!

Old 11-13-2019, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

I differentiate between "collectible" and "classic" cars. For me, "collectible" implies an increasing value in the long run with no depreciation. Nowadays, few cars outside of extremely limited production hypercars enjoy that classification. A fairly modern domestic example would be the 2005-2006 Ford GT. They never depreciated, and are now worth more than double what the original cost was. "Classic," however, covers a lot more territory. There are many cars from the past 50-60 years that haven't appreciated but because of the genre like '60's musclecars or such cars as X100 Jags that evoke memories of the E-type that appear classic in their looks but which won't appreciate and will be quite affordable, are still highly desirable. Today and yesterday, for the first time in a long time, I took my nearly mint 2002 XKR convertible out on my daily errands and to work, top down, basking in the warm autumn sun in Los Angeles, and although I hate how it drives compared to my 2010 XKR, it was still so enjoyable and so beautiful. My Pantera which over the years has appreciated quite a bit (but not more than I have in it) is still a "classic" car that may one day become a collectible, but it doesn't matter to me as it represents a "collectible" to me. I am hopeful that when I pass my collection of cars down to my kids someday, they will appreciate them, drive them, and cherish them, but I don't believe it will happen. There's always a new I phone or a Macbook Pro that will compete for their attention. But there may be glimmers of hope. Next month, I get my favorite car of all time and certainly of my high school/college years, a 1968 Pontiac GTO, back from restoration, and my youngest son (29) whose interest in cars is less than zero keeps asking me if he can drive it when it comes home.

I think the F-type's beauty and prowess will keep it desirable for decades if kept in excellent condition, but I don't believe it will appreciate as a collectible except for some very rare models. But buy a car because you love it and want to enjoy it, not for what the next owner or next of kin think about it. There are better investments.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Value is what people will pay. If you think your car is worth 2 million dollars, but no one will buy it, it's not worth 2 million dollars. As people grow up, they want things they idolized as kids. For baby boomers, it was a lot of the 60's cars. As that generation ages out of buying/driving cars, those cars are not worth as much as the next generation doesn't want them. Value is supply and demand. If no one is demanding them, there is no value.

The 1st Gen Ford GT is still desired, highly (rightly so). Therefore the value increases. No way to predict if the 8-10 year olds today will want an F-Type in 20 years.

Old 11-14-2019, 02:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
The nursing home or the cemetery I guess!
I was thinking some destination more post-cemetery. If I could take the F-Type with me, my destination options would be cut in half (noise level restrictions).

Last edited by Unhingd; 11-14-2019 at 02:36 AM.
Mbourne (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 04:17 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I was thinking some destination more post-cemetery. If I could take the F-Type with me, my destination options would be cut in half (noise level restrictions).
And don't forget that fireproof suit!

Old 11-14-2019, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scm
And don't forget that fireproof suit!
Yes, I still have mine for just that purpose.

scm (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
1100 sq ft!
How many residents, including children under 26 (the current age of emancipation)?
The reason I'm curious is: my son and his wife owned a McMansion just outside Richmond, but when they moved back to the Low Country they decided to downsize to something in the 1800 sq ft range. Now that they are expecting their second child they are in the market for more space.

Things can get might cozy and cluttered with two adults and two children in too small a space.
I know this is a dumb simplicity... but I sorta think at least 750sq ft a person in a family is fair. 500 sq ft for 2 adults who don't collect/store/have stuff, but kids have stuff... so yeah, i could see wanting 3000sq ft for two kiddos.

How we do this size:
No kids. One smallish dog. Two bedrooms, two levels, top level a tall a-frame that stares out on SF Bay, Bay Bridge/Alcatraz, Angel Island, SF Skyline, all the way to Headlands and Golden Gate Bridge. If I was in some strip mall HOA that stared at a dark alley in Fairfax, VA, yes... this size could get small. But what you stare at helps, and the expanse keeps the demons at bay.

The 25+ft ceilings help A LOT, and it's an open floor plan kitchen through dining room. Not included is a balcony off the first level, and a smaller balcony downstairs off the (small) master bedroom. 1 luxury hotel renovated style bathroom, and 1/3 (tiny) bathroom And just because we have a 2nd bedroom doesn't mean we would ever want a visitor staying in it. My wife and I are very happy together, but a 3rd body in this space is a no no. It's just too small, even for a few day stay.

Also, we're outside 95% of the year, and live in/above/on 1000+ acres of open space along a ridge that has a 360 view of the bay area. Not doing humblebrag ****, just defensively explaining just how methodical our process is, and how we have chosen to live small, while carving out the fact we did it in a way that is manageable. We're not uppity, but we like nice things. We were VERY VERY compelled to be part of the "let's live as simple as possible" philosophy 10 years ago, and we made a plan of what we *MUST* have to be able to do it.

It's not too hot in the summer, not too cold in the winter, we don't need snow tires stored, winter gear, etc. Sure, there's no garage which is probably my saddest fact. I don't think we're ever wont for more space, especially considering the liability of higher mortgage and bigger everything.. prop taxes, landscaping bills, etc.

At any rate, I get the support of having a tiny village in a bigger house. It's sorta awesome. We can't find a reliable dog watcher.

I was just doing some sales and marketing plans for future hotel biz.... 35% of millennials still live at home, as of August 2019, and almost 40% live at home, in California.

15 years ago, after a divorce, I lived with my folks for about 6 months in a pool house, and at the age of 28 for just 6 months, the ribald and insulting ribbing I endured from just about everyone was almost unbearable, and now it's de riguer, in the states. It's AMAZING how quickly attitudes change.

I've made my own way since 18yrs, and I was always jealous of people who had no rent, and no grocery expenses, etc. I mean, why wouldn't you take advantage of that if you could? But the "freedom" is something worthwhile.

It's funny tho, in the USA, the notion of "freedom" is really "get in a position where you constantly buy stuff as a consumer to help the economy". So that freedom is really "now I need to buy a couch, a TV, etc" and you're just part of the machine.

While in other cultures like Japan, Philippines, Central and South America, Italy... generations can live together and that's the norm. It takes a village, as it is said. I guess our consumer economy didn't line the streets with gold, and getting lots of stuff isn't making us very happy.... so maybe we're just catching up with what the rest of the world has known for a long time? LOL

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Fishbits:
Paul_59 (02-15-2020), scm (11-14-2019)
Old 02-13-2020, 10:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

2015 V8S (rwd) Convertible is going to be the collectible version if any.

Quick Reply: Will the F type be a collector's car? If so, which model would it most likely be?