F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the F type be a collector's car? If so, which model would it most likely be?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

If any!

Old 02-14-2020, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

The Project 7 (250 production units) is already a collector’s car. The RWD V8 versions (MY14 and 15s) will take a while (a couple decades) to reach that status, if ever (as mentioned).

Old 02-14-2020, 03:20 PM
Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
Housing is fascinating. Boomers are trying to sell, but they think their McMansions are worth more than they are worth, namely because attitudes shifted and people like me (Gen-X) realize "bigger house, mo stuff, mo crap, mo problems", and now the millennials don't even want the approx 1100sq ft we have. So the housing market crisis will be another thing.... just like I've warned friends with classic car collection of non-marquee, domestic US cars.... SELL NOW. Because values will fall in the next 10 or so.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/reale...0d8_story.html
https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-growi...es-11553181782
https://www.businessinsider.com/mill...roblems-2019-3
https://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/...s-millennials/

It's a microcosm of what's going to be a big shift. What's more, our population is cratering, and 1st world populations are massively declining, as well as China. I think the only net population gain in the next 20 years is Africa. So expect a lot of our cars to end up over there. The fact is that a) people don't want 1920-1970 classic USA autos, b) car enthusiasm in general is lessening, c) boomers dying/selling off, d) and regulatory/insurance/driving issues cloud the investment to begin with.

It's going to be unreal. Now I am really thinking of just buying random land in the middle of nowhere for people to just drive around. LOL
Don’t believe everything you read. Just sold a 3400 sq ft “McMansion” in 60 days at almost full asking price. Young couple with two small children bought it. Developers are pumping them out in local housing plans and they are selling...fast. I’m an investor so I’m speaking from personal experience. Just sayin.

Old 07-10-2021, 01:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SonofGaladriel
Not an owner......yet! Hoping to buy when the right deal comes along. Budget has been an issue and I've considered selling my '69 Corvette Stingray to help fund the F type, but I just can't seem to let it go. This had me wondering about the F type's collector car status in 30, 40 years.
The F type is such an amazing car, beautiful, powerful, classic timeless design, and of course that exhaust note. How could it not become a 'classic' collector's car down the road?
I would assume that the SVR would likely be the model most coveted 40 years from now (although I've read that its the most depreciating model today). Actually, the Project 7 would likely be the most sought after but only the 1%'ers would be able to afford that one.
Will my grandkids look at the F type like I do my classic corvette?
Anyone planning on keeping their F type and handing it down some day?
Yea - i have a 2017 RWD S model, although not the big V8, it still is a great car and I think will be collectible especially as Jaguar will no longer make gasoline engines post 2025. I'm going to hang onto mine for a while to see what happens. have 24k miles and not planning on putting too many more. i'm owner #2 after a lease agreement.

Old 07-11-2021, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

I figure that JLR has worked out that offering a 60K miles 60 month warranty is a low financial risk to them.
Seems like less than 50% of the F-Types even make it to the year 2 (32K miles) service during the 60 month period.
I am doing my best to correct this anomaly!!

Old 03-10-2022, 06:52 AM
Default F type manual V6

just like any other car... the manual will become most valuable. Also the top line SVR specials will also be collectable

Old 03-10-2022, 09:06 AM
Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes to a manual transmission vehicle only if they actually know how to use the clutch and row thru the gears LOL. How many 20-40 year olds you know drive a manual, check the oil, air pressure and just know what maintenance they should do. There are many stories of driving their cars without oil. One reason manual cars don’t get carjacked or stolen it’s a anti theft safety feature. With gas prices high and some great cars using high test filling your car cost $80+. My motto when I owned a 63 e type coupe was drive it like you stole it and enjoy iit and let the next person worry about me driving it 50k miles in rain or shine. Same motto with my f type. Just my 2 cents.
Frank

The following 2 users liked this post by frank barone:
scm (03-10-2022), Therock88 (03-11-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

There is a BRG XJ6 that was parked on the roadside curb for the last 2 weeks we were in Turks & Caicos.
I guess nobody knows how to repair or there are no parts to get it moving again, and it was likely the only one on the island.
It is a collectible probably for anybody who wants to go get it!!

Old 03-10-2022, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by frank barone
Yes to a manual transmission vehicle only if they actually know how to use the clutch and row thru the gears LOL. How many 20-40 year olds you know drive a manual, check the oil, air pressure and just know what maintenance they should do. There are many stories of driving their cars without oil. One reason manual cars don’t get carjacked or stolen it’s a anti theft safety feature. With gas prices high and some great cars using high test filling your car cost $80+. My motto when I owned a 63 e type coupe was drive it like you stole it and enjoy iit and let the next person worry about me driving it 50k miles in rain or shine. Same motto with my f type. Just my 2 cents.
Frank

Old 03-10-2022, 03:22 PM
Received 89 Likes on 51 Posts

Add me to the list of MT advocates. The S MT6 will always appeal to real gearheads, and the supply will be low. I expect mine to work out a lot like my BMW E30 MT Cabrio. I bought it used, drove it a lot for 25 years, and sold it for more than I paid for it. 25 years of fun for less than the cost of maintenance.

That said, replacement electronics, as mentioned above, could be a problem depending on how well JLR supports the F long term.

My 2 cents.
As far as generations peaking and passing, like boomers and muscle cars, I see the F as outside of all that. The F is a timeless beauty. In my experience with who comments on mine, all ages and generations love it. And I'm confident that gas will remain available. By the time that EVs are so dominant that anyone even thinks about ending gas production the ICEs left will not be creating enough emissions to worry about. Gas may get expensive, but our Fs will be fun day cars, not daily drivers. Of course, I'm an eco-terrorist already, at least according to my mother in law.

Old 03-11-2022, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
There's so much to talk about with Gallo regarding film, but that is one of the most classic clips in all film history. Such a great go-to.

However, as far as an anti-theft device, I have read a couple articles of people just being shot because thieves were angry they couldn't drive the car and took it out on the driver. No bueno.

Old 03-11-2022, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
There's so much to talk about with Gallo regarding film, but that is one of the most classic clips in all film history. Such a great go-to.
🙏

Thankfully I am not the only one—including my wife—who believes that!

Old 03-11-2022, 01:39 PM
Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

I would imagine that 98% of current owners wont have theirs in 20 years and those that do will either never part with them or sell for what the market bares when they need something new or have to make space for a new love. That said, I think most older cars that are well kept will be eventually increase in value over max depreciation, but what is the real criteria for being "collectible" - value, price in 20 years, desirability, rarity etc.? I used to frequent auctions and still keep an eye on BAT, ebay etc. - I always see cars that I wouldn't even bother to take a second look at get bids and have people who are excited to own them. Basically if one person thinks it is worth collecting, it is collectible. just like if two people really want something, you can have a bidding war that escalates the price much higher than expected. Just like there is a market for turbo 4 cylinders, v6's, V8's, and special edition cars (P7), there will be "collectors" with various budgets; making some models more attainable for an entry level collector. I have seen numerous threads here about the manual transmission being the most collectible etc. - again, maybe and maybe not. I know, purist love manuals - I do too, but for the driving I do, I don't feel like shifting gears, and in 20-25 years, fewer people will even know how to. I wouldn't trade my Auto F-type for a MT and I would be willing to bet the difference in future prices that in 15-20-25 years, the MT F-type might be worth more than a comparable auto, but not so much that it would be more than an F-type R with lots of options. Good news is that most of us will be dead or driving spaceships by the time its known (see first sentence) so does it really matter?

Last edited by gg2684; 03-11-2022 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-21-2022, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by SonofGaladriel
Not an owner......yet! Hoping to buy when the right deal comes along. Budget has been an issue and I've considered selling my '69 Corvette Stingray to help fund the F type, but I just can't seem to let it go. This had me wondering about the F type's collector car status in 30, 40 years.
The F type is such an amazing car, beautiful, powerful, classic timeless design, and of course that exhaust note. How could it not become a 'classic' collector's car down the road?
I would assume that the SVR would likely be the model most coveted 40 years from now (although I've read that its the most depreciating model today). Actually, the Project 7 would likely be the most sought after but only the 1%'ers would be able to afford that one.
Will my grandkids look at the F type like I do my classic corvette?
Anyone planning on keeping their F type and handing it down some day?
My bet for collectability outside of the F type SVR is the 2017 F type S MANUAL

The following users liked this post:
Michael211 (12-21-2022)
Old 12-22-2022, 03:49 PM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

That is a great question and a pivotal point in history IMO. Depending on your age, I'm 50's, think of the 60's and 70's that stood out and became icons of their day. Add the addition of combustion engines headed towards old technology just adds another crazy variable. Whoever guesses this one could do their kids and grandkids proud with how much they will get in inheritance. Locally someone has a 70 Cuda with a semi and matching numbers with only 37k and asking is $375,000. I think that car was around sub $4k new.

Old 12-22-2022, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member

I think the market for any collectible car is going to be severely impacted within some finite period (35 years?) when gasoline and fill-up stations no longer exist for the average driver.
Whether we like it or not, ICE's are going the way of the dinosaurs and their feedstock is going with them.
Perhaps there is an opportunity to convert ICE cars to battery power, otherwise they will become ornaments or museum pieces.
Fortunately, I am old enough that it will likely not happen while I am still able to drive!!

Old 12-22-2022, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernie1234
My bet for collectability outside of the F type SVR is the 2017 F type S MANUAL
Why 2017?

I think the likelihood that my F-Type (2016 manual) will be worth anything when I'm done with it is far better than that for any of my organs. I take better care of the car.

theEIger (12-23-2022)
Old 12-22-2022, 08:25 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Why 2017?

I think the likelihood that my F-Type (2016 manual) will be worth anything when I'm done with it is far better than that for any of my organs. I take better care of the car.
I had assumed it was because that’s what he owns.

Mine already has 80,000 miles on it. Couldn’t care less what it’s worth.

The following 2 users liked this post by DJS:
scm (12-23-2022), theEIger (12-23-2022)
Old 12-22-2022, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
I had assumed it was because that’s what he owns.

Mine already has 80,000 miles on it. Couldn’t care less what it’s worth.
My assumption too, but I had to ask

Mine is worth the pleasure I get from driving it and I don't expect that to diminish anytime soon. Value to someone else? Don't care.

scm (12-23-2022)
Old 12-23-2022, 10:41 AM
Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

I have to assume that by the time I'm willing to part with my F-Type, it - and others like it - will be banned from public roadways as road hazards because they're not EV's, not self-driving, and not 5G/6G compliant.

If such is true, there will be so many similar discarded vehicles, of multiple manufacturers, that they'll fill up junkyards and will each have so little value that they'll likely be sold by the pound. So much for 'collectibles'.

Nevertheless, since it can't be driven normally, whomever buys it will have to have a ton of money to afford the parts, diagnostic and testing tools and computers, a 3D printer, a personal mechanic/technician or two, a shop/storage warehouse, and - if they want to actually use it - a truck and trailer rig to tow it and their other toys to a private parkland and/or track.

Until then, I'm going to keep mine, fondle it, drive it, and take pleasure in the admiring looks and kudos I get.

Actually, not much else matters.

Quick Reply: Will the F type be a collector's car? If so, which model would it most likely be?