Sponsored by:

Window auto drop not working correctly RHS

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window auto drop not working correctly RHS

Hi all,

I have a 2013 f-type and here is the problem

From outside I go to the car and unlock it either with the fob or the door handle. When you pull the door handle the window does not drop to pass the seal.

So, now the car has been in the garage for 3 weeks, it’s had a new battery, a new RHS door handle, all updates done and they cannot find the fault.

I took the car back and I have noticed the following:
when you unlock the door from outside I noticed the (locked) led is lit up on the internal lock button???
so from inside I pressed the unlock button and you can hear it unlock but the orange led stays lit on the locked button.

passenger side is fine as the led turns off when unlocked.

now, sometimes if I play about with the lock, unlock buttons the led will go off and the door/window drop works every single time until I’ve locked the car up again and same problem occurs.

also if I press unlock from outside wait a few seconds then press unlock again the led goes off and I can get in again no problem until I’ve locked the car up.

Any suggestions? (Door latch, central locking ecu module, central locking actuator) ???

Old 12-07-2020, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Galvin
Hi all,

I have a 2013 f-type and here is the problem

From outside I go to the car and unlock it either with the fob or the door handle. When you pull the door handle the window does not drop to pass the seal.

So, now the car has been in the garage for 3 weeks, it’s had a new battery, a new RHS door handle, all updates done and they cannot find the fault.

I took the car back and I have noticed the following:
when you unlock the door from outside I noticed the (locked) led is lit up on the internal lock button???
so from inside I pressed the unlock button and you can hear it unlock but the orange led stays lit on the locked button.

passenger side is fine as the led turns off when unlocked.

now, sometimes if I play about with the lock, unlock buttons the led will go off and the door/window drop works every single time until I’ve locked the car up again and same problem occurs.

also if I press unlock from outside wait a few seconds then press unlock again the led goes off and I can get in again no problem until I’ve locked the car up.

Any suggestions? (Door latch, central locking ecu module, central locking actuator) ???
Hi there...

I have lots more experience with Porsches, but recall this happened a lot on the 911 Turbo and Boxster S forums. I do believe it will be a similar mechanism on the F-Types. It is not horrible to do, but unfortunately (unless you have a warranty) requires getting into the door.

Usually, the reason the door glass won't drop is due to a micro-switch in the door handle. Have to pull the door apart and check the contacts, or the micro-switch itself may be bad.

Good luck,
DC

Old 12-07-2020, 02:20 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Could try the window reset procedure in your manual.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member

Here is a little additional info for you on the operations and functioning.

Operation :
The passenger and driver door windows operate when the ignition is in accessory mode or the ignition is on. The windows will operate for 5 minutes after the ignition is switched off, as long as none of the doors are opened.
To open or close the door window when a door opens or closes, the CJB uses inputs from the door window drop switches in the interior and exterior door handles and the ajar switch in the door latch. TheCJB then signals the related door module on the Medium Speed (MS) Controller Area Network (CAN)body systems bus to operate the door window as required.

I put a document on my Shared Drive as well for you that breaks down the door handle parts and function: CLICK HERE Note Item#7 in the diagram is the glass drop mechanism.

DC

Old 12-07-2020, 04:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There’s a couple of us on Ftypeforums who have had this problem. Mine was at the dealers for 5 weeks with no fix and I gave up and rejected the car.
The other owner managed to get theirs fixed - it needed a new door catch, and something else as I recall.

Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
Paul Galvin (12-08-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Therock88
Hi there...

I have lots more experience with Porsches, but recall this happened a lot on the 911 Turbo and Boxster S forums. I do believe it will be a similar mechanism on the F-Types. It is not horrible to do, but unfortunately (unless you have a warranty) requires getting into the door.

Usually, the reason the door glass won't drop is due to a micro-switch in the door handle. Have to pull the door apart and check the contacts, or the micro-switch itself may be bad.

Good luck,
DC
thanks but they have already fitted a brand new door handle (external)

Old 12-07-2020, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Paul Galvin
thanks but they have already fitted a brand new door handle (external)
The Glass Drop Mechanism is not the external handle, it is #7 in the diagram of the PDF I posted. It is inside the door...and sends signals to other modules...But whatever works for you. Good luck with resolving your issue.

DC

Old 12-07-2020, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Therock88
Here is a little additional info for you on the operations and functioning.

Operation :
The passenger and driver door windows operate when the ignition is in accessory mode or the ignition is on. The windows will operate for 5 minutes after the ignition is switched off, as long as none of the doors are opened.
To open or close the door window when a door opens or closes, the CJB uses inputs from the door window drop switches in the interior and exterior door handles and the ajar switch in the door latch. TheCJB then signals the related door module on the Medium Speed (MS) Controller Area Network (CAN)body systems bus to operate the door window as required.

I put a document on my Shared Drive as well for you that breaks down the door handle parts and function: CLICK HERE Note Item#7 in the diagram is the glass drop mechanism.

DC
thanks man, The led that I’m talking about is on the internal lock button as shown in image. As soon as you unlock the door from outside the led on the internal (locked) button comes on. Why?? See image attached

Old 12-15-2020, 05:33 PM
Received 82 Likes on 38 Posts

My 2014 does this when the window needs to be reset. It usually also stops doing one-touch-auto-up, as well. And the reset procedure fixes both. If you have a convertible, you have to do the window reset with the top up and the door closed, btw, so it can re-learn the full up location.

Old 08-04-2023, 10:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DC, The PDF is great thank you - Would you know the part number to order for the #7 switch part?.

I had a quick google for Jaguar F Type Door window drop switch which didn't return anything...thank you.

Old 08-04-2023, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

I recall that when I had my windows tinted, the installer used a setting to control the window drop function.
He needed to enable full window exposure to allow for full tint coverage.
I forget the details but might be worth some research?.