F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Indexing

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 12:52 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Window Indexing

So my new to me svr convertible has a window that appears to rub the convertible top and this makes is slightly difficult to close. I just noticed the passenger side indexes (window slightly opens when opening or closing the door) and the drivers side does not. Comming from GM, there are dozens of posts on indexing the windows on Camaros' Corvettes etc, but I cant find anything on the f-type. A.Is the window supposed to index? (maybe jaguar calls it something different and that is why I can't find it? ) B. If so, is there a way to reset it?

Old 02-07-2022, 01:14 PM
Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

As far as I know, all frameless door glass in the modern era does that.
Does your auto up work?
You can lower the glass all the way down and then raise it all the way up, holding the up button a couple three seconds after it tops out to reset the winder’s pea size brain.

Old 02-07-2022, 01:15 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Yeah, the instructions should be in your handbook, look under "windows reset". Mine says: close the window fully and release the switch. Lift the switch to the close position and hold for 2 seconds. Repeat this process a total of five times.

Old 02-07-2022, 01:39 PM

Thanks all, found in the manual and yup it says "Lift the switch to the close position and hold for 2 seconds. Repeat this process a total of five times." I did that and no door indexing. I then went to passenger side and it indexes perfectly. So, something must be wrong with drivers side circuit responsible for indexing the window. .

Old 02-07-2022, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbadorange
Thanks all, found in the manual and yup it says "Lift the switch to the close position and hold for 2 seconds. Repeat this process a total of five times." I did that and no door indexing. I then went to passenger side and it indexes perfectly. So, something must be wrong with drivers side circuit responsible for indexing the window. .
Yes. You have an issue with the micro switch in the door handle most likely (or at least a loose wire). When the door handle is opened, it is sensed by a micro switch, that drops the door slightly for a moment (as you call it indexing), and then raises it again when the door is securely closed. Sounds like one of yours may not be functioning properly. I will see if I have any info on that and post here if I do.

DC

Edit: More Info for you:

The passenger and driver door windows operate when the ignition is in accessory mode or the ignition is on. The windows will operate for 5 minutes after the ignition is switched off, as long as none of the doors are opened.
To open or close the door window when a door opens or closes, the CJB uses inputs from the door window drop switches in the interior and exterior door handles and the ajar switch in the door latch. The CJB then signals the related door module on the Medium Speed (MS) Controller Area Network (CAN)body systems bus to operate the door window as required.
The signals to open or close the door window when the folding top opens or closes are provided by the master FTCM (Folding Top Control Module) on the HS (High Speed) CAN chassis systems bus. The signals are transmitted to both door modules on the MS CAN body systems bus via the GWM (Gateway Module).

DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION

When a window open or close selection is made on a door switch pack, the related door module supplies power to the window motor to drive it in the appropriate direction. In the inch mode, the motor stops when the switch is released or the window reaches the end of its travel. In the one-shot mode, the motor stops if the switch is operated again (either up or down) or the window reaches the end of its travel.
One-shot up operation causes a door window to fully close unless an object is detected (anti-trap) or the glass is within 12 mm (0.47 in) of the top of the travel when the door is open. If the
anti-trap algorithm detects an object, the glass will drop fully open or to 200 mm (7.87 in) below the obstruction.
When the passenger door switch pack is used, it produces an open or close request by completing a hardwired circuit with the PDM (Passenger Door Module).
When the driver door switch pack is used, it outputs a request message to the DDM (Driver Door Module) on the LIN (Local Interconnect Network) bus. If the message is for the passenger door window, the DDM relays the message to the PDM on the MS CAN body systems bus. If the passenger door window has opposing up and down requests from the passenger door switch pack and the driver door switch pack, operation of the door window will cease until one of the switches is released.

ANTI-TRAP PROTECTION
The anti-trap feature is incorporated for the door window in both the inching and one-shot modes. If the anti-trap function is activated while a window is closing, the window will reverse by approximately 200mm (7.87 in).
Each window motor has two Hall effect sensors to enable the related door module to monitor the motor speed. If the motor speed decreases below a set threshold, indicating an obstruction, the power feed to the motor is reversed so the window goes back down.
If it is still necessary to raise the window, the anti-trap protection can be overridden by attempting to close the window at intervals of less than 10 seconds. On the third attempt the window will move up with
anti-trap protection disabled to overcome the obstruction.

Last edited by Therock88; 02-08-2022 at 05:34 AM.
Old 02-07-2022, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Thanks gents, this clears up one thing for me - resetting the one touch up/down.
Every time in the past that I have needed to reset this it ONLY worked while the car was in motion.
BUT I thought you only had to do it once not five times so I have never tried five times, maybe next time I will.
Thing is, if you are lazy and can't be bothered doing it five times then you can try my method - do it while driving - as that way only takes one go!

Old 02-07-2022, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Try some silicon spray on the rubber seals, the dealer did this on mine years ago and it worked.

Old 02-07-2022, 07:19 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Pretty clearly the window drop switch, as TheRock said. Someone else had this same complaint, though I don’t remember if they posted a resolution. If the window auto up/down works, then resetting the window indexing worked too.

Old 02-28-2022, 03:50 PM

UPDATE. It was a switch in the door latch. The switch was not telling computer that door was opening so computer did not fire the command to lower(then raise) the window slightly. Under warranty but was a $600 two piece part and an hour of labor.

Old 03-01-2022, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbadorange
UPDATE. It was a switch in the door latch. The switch was not telling computer that door was opening so computer did not fire the command to lower(then raise) the window slightly. Under warranty but was a $600 two piece part and an hour of labor.
Internet Diagnosis successful. You are welcome.

DC

Old 03-01-2022, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Therock88
Internet Diagnosis successful. You are welcome.

DC

The following users liked this post:
Therock88 (03-01-2022)