F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Trim Coming Up

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 09:40 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Window Trim Coming Up

Does anyone have any issues with their window trim coming up?

2015 F-Type R

The chrome window trim that surrounds the quarter window right behind the passenger door is coming up, where it meets the door. It's as if the 2 sided tape holding it has lost grip and released.

I noticed this soon after picking the car up last summer (bought new), however, didn't want to take it to the dealer at the time as fall/winter was approaching and I'd rather be driving the car. So, figured I'd hit the 10,000 mile service this summer and point it out then.

The dealer is saying this is not covered under warranty, and was mostly likely pulled up while washing the car (rag or something caught it and pulled up).

I thought that was a pretty lame argument from the service advisor, and sort of laughed it off. Figured I wasn't going to argue over some trim. But then I started thinking about it more. I've had plenty of cars, and only 1 has ever had a trim issue like this, and that WAS covered under warranty.

The trim was not pulled up at a car wash, or while washing the car. And it's clear as day that the 2 sided tape is just not holding it down.

I'm taking the car in Tuesday to drop it off at the dealer again (they had to order the parts for the speaker rattling TSB, and the follow-up appointment is then).

Thoughts? Is this common? Should I push for them to replace it/fix it?

Attached Thumbnails Window Trim Coming Up-file_000-17-.jpeg  
Old 08-29-2016, 04:46 AM
Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

at the convertible the trim is fixed by two small screws
( see attachment ) . I suppose same at the coupe . So screw might
be loose or trim is broken . Should be no problem to get it fixed by
warranty.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
doortrim.pdf (127.0 KB, 511 views)
Old 08-29-2016, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by 2015Coupe
Does anyone have any issues with their window trim coming up?

2015 F-Type R

The chrome window trim that surrounds the quarter window right behind the passenger door is coming up, where it meets the door. It's as if the 2 sided tape holding it has lost grip and released.

I noticed this soon after picking the car up last summer (bought new), however, didn't want to take it to the dealer at the time as fall/winter was approaching and I'd rather be driving the car. So, figured I'd hit the 10,000 mile service this summer and point it out then.

The dealer is saying this is not covered under warranty, and was mostly likely pulled up while washing the car (rag or something caught it and pulled up).

I thought that was a pretty lame argument from the service advisor, and sort of laughed it off. Figured I wasn't going to argue over some trim. But then I started thinking about it more. I've had plenty of cars, and only 1 has ever had a trim issue like this, and that WAS covered under warranty.

The trim was not pulled up at a car wash, or while washing the car. And it's clear as day that the 2 sided tape is just not holding it down.

I'm taking the car in Tuesday to drop it off at the dealer again (they had to order the parts for the speaker rattling TSB, and the follow-up appointment is then).

Thoughts? Is this common? Should I push for them to replace it/fix it?
There is no way that piece could be lifted as a result of automatic or hand washing unless the door were open (not likely). This is clearly a warranty issue.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

If your dealer doesn't replace that for you FOC, whether they submit it as a warranty claim or not, you need to find a new dealer. You would need a bar to pry it up as far as that. Snagging with a cloth won't do it. Has the car been wrapped before?

The waist seal (bit along the bottom of the window) is a tight friction fit onto a fold on top of the door panel, and secured with a single screw at the rear and the front end located under wing mirror. That is what f-typcal's PDF is showing.

The bit you show is the continuous upper window trim on the coupe, which is attached to the body. It is a £500 replacement part (UK) which suggests it is not just chromed plastic but liklely a composite part of plastic, rubber and aluminium. I have been unable to find the removal instructions in the workshop manual. The closest I can find is pictures of the side panel but it doesn't really help.

I have had a look at the trim on mine and it appears to be held on with friction, not tape, with a visible aluminium strip in much the same way as the waist seal. As the rear quarter glass goes in front-to-back from the inside, it may be that it is used to clamp it in place, or it may just friction fit over a lip all the way around (or just the lower part, with locating clips along the top. It almost certainly will not be taped on - these cars are designed for rapid line assembly with ideally one action/tool to install each component. Tape requires human alignment which is fiddly, requires pressure and takes too much time. The designing engineer's brief for these things is "clip, clip, clip, bang with a mallet".

Old 08-29-2016, 08:02 PM

Thanks for the input folks. Much appreciated.

We'll see what they have to say tomorrow.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:56 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

I had this problem on both my '15 and '16 cars within a month of delivery. Both times it was repaired by the dealer under warranty, no questions asked.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by 2015Coupe
We'll see what they have to say tomorrow.
If you purchased the car from them, escalate this to sales manager by emailing him with "this service behavior is costing you repeat sales" subject.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:38 AM
Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

I also had this problem on a 2015 F Type, seems to be happen on the brushed window trim. If you find a dealership who will replace the trim, insure to tell the dealership to inspect for defects. They installed scratched trim and had to replace twice.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:39 PM

Thanks for chiming in folks. I've brought it to their attention that others have had this same issue...we'll see what they say. Dropper her off this morning to have the speaker fix done and they will bring up the trim issue to the Service Manager again.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:15 PM

Dropped off the R off this morning to have that speaker TSB completed. They had it all day, and not yet finished, stating that there are a lot of pieces to remove and reinstall for the fix, and that they go slow to ensure they put everything back correctly and not create new rattles after trying to fix the speaker rattles...so the R isn't back yet. They informed me of this up front (that it might take a while), so I'm glad they're taking the care to make sure everything goes back together perfectly.

When the Service Advisor called to inform me it wasn't ready yet, he stated that the Service Manager was in and out all day and hadn't had a chance to look at the trim yet, but will call me when he does.

Guess we'll see tomorrow what they have to say about the trim if/when he calls.

Stay tuned folks. Hoping they do the right thing and replace the trim. Seems silly that its even a questionable warranty thing, especially after seeing other folks on here have the same issue (thus Jaguar NA is aware of it being an issue, not some isolated incident where the trim got pulled up in a car wash, as the dealer had stated probably happened).

Old 08-30-2016, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by xdave
If your dealer doesn't replace that for you FOC, whether they submit it as a warranty claim or not, you need to find a new dealer. You would need a bar to pry it up as far as that. Snagging with a cloth won't do it. Has the car been wrapped before?

The waist seal (bit along the bottom of the window) is a tight friction fit onto a fold on top of the door panel, and secured with a single screw at the rear and the front end located under wing mirror. That is what f-typcal's PDF is showing.

The bit you show is the continuous upper window trim on the coupe, which is attached to the body. It is a £500 replacement part (UK) which suggests it is not just chromed plastic but liklely a composite part of plastic, rubber and aluminium. I have been unable to find the removal instructions in the workshop manual. The closest I can find is pictures of the side panel but it doesn't really help.

I have had a look at the trim on mine and it appears to be held on with friction, not tape, with a visible aluminium strip in much the same way as the waist seal. As the rear quarter glass goes in front-to-back from the inside, it may be that it is used to clamp it in place, or it may just friction fit over a lip all the way around (or just the lower part, with locating clips along the top. It almost certainly will not be taped on - these cars are designed for rapid line assembly with ideally one action/tool to install each component. Tape requires human alignment which is fiddly, requires pressure and takes too much time. The designing engineer's brief for these things is "clip, clip, clip, bang with a mallet".
Thanks for the info.

And to answer your question, no, the car has never been wrapped.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I don't care what caused it , it is a defect and should be fixed. Jag is weird about manager having to approve. I had "chipped" paint issue back 2 years ago, known problem, and service adviser still had to have manager approve!

Old 08-31-2016, 06:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 2015 F-type R that is having the same window trim issue on both sides of the car. My trim is gloss black.

I took it to the dealer to get fixed and they told me it was not a warranty issue and would cost $3200 to fix. They said that the trim is physically bent from some outside force, and this is not covered under warranty.

So let me get this straight. Through some freak happenstance, an outside force was applied to the trim, so hard that it bent upwards. It did this without leaving any marks or scratches of any kind. Crazy things happen. This could happen.... sure. But then you're telling me that it happened twice to the same car, on both sides? Really!? That is the story you are going to go with? I then mentioned that I have read about it happening to other 2015 F-type R's, so it is REALLY going to be a tough sell to tell me that this is not a warranty issue. I asked to speak with the service manager and was told that they would call me back.

When they got back to me, I was told it would be covered under warranty and I will have my car back tomorrow. I'm very happy that they have agreed to do the right thing and fix this. Most of my service experiences with Jaguar have actually been very positive.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:35 AM

Update: Dealer called back first thing this morning to say that the speaker TSB is complete, and that they will cover the window trim under warranty.

I informed them that others have received damaged/scuffed trim when the replacement parts were ordered, and asked them to please double check the condition of the trim when it comes in. They stated they have seen this on other cars, where they received trim and it was damaged in shipping, so they will double check it when it comes in.

Thanks for all the help and reassurance folks.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Just adding for the record books that this is happening to my passenger side black pack trim. So it's not just the chrome. I have a V6S 2017 model built in Feb 2016.

The following users liked this post:
James Tootle (09-14-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

I'm beginning t think JLR should make every service manager monitor this forum!

Old 09-01-2016, 07:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

@RawwR, thanks for posting about the scratched replacement trim. I ended up asking my service rep to check the new replacement trim for damage before installing it. Sure enough, it was scratched. I did not get to pick up my car today because they have to order more trim. Hopefully what comes in tomorrow can be installed and I will have my car for the weekend. I'm 6 days without an F-Type and withdrawal is setting in...

I'm much happier to have them catch the problem and delay my car though, than me driving out to the dealership only to find that the work needs to be re-done. It sounds like Jaguar needs to change the way they pack/ship this stuff.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:09 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This exact same trim issue is happening to me at the exact same place. I'm making a list of the things (minor at this point ) that I expect to be covered under warranty on my 2015 R and hopefully the dealer can address at once..

Old 09-18-2016, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member

Ugh. I asked to have mine replaced and instead they "fixed" it, stating that the trim piece was on back order with no estimated date of availability. Picked the car up 7 days ago. Today I went out to the garage to go to work at 6am and the entire "fix" adhesive tape had failed and the thing was sprung off the car 7-8 inches. I couldn't drive it because I was worried the wind force would break it off. Had to take my wife's car to work. Back to the shop unhappy tomorrow.

Old 10-16-2016, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member

One month later, part was finally sourced and replaced. Waited forever.

Quick Reply: Window Trim Coming Up