F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window trim lifting up and out - seems to be somewhat common?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2024 | 10:37 PM
|
Default Window trim lifting up and out - seems to be somewhat common?

There are a few threads going back several years about this and I am curious if there's been any updated part designed to address it.
Basically, the trim that starts behind the mirror and wraps around the door and rear side window seems to lift on the bottom edge, under the window, closest to the door. From what I've been able to find here and on the UK forum, dealers either replace the part or or try to tamp it down with tape or epoxy. I have a MY20 coupe and it's starting to lift and bow slightly out on the driver's side (passenger side is fine.)

I don't want to mess with it because the car is still under warranty, and it also seems the piece is delicate and can bend easily and permanently deform. When looking at this part on eBay, it appears there are small plastic tabs that insert into something near the vehicle body or rubber weatherstripping. Do we know if this part fails because the double-sided tape fails? Or does the piece bow because of heat/sun and movements of the chassis cause those tabs or the entire piece to deform?

The removal and replacement of this trim seems quite involved but I haven't been able to find any workshop doc to get a better idea of the process. For those that have been here before me, what was the remedy?

The trim piece I am talking about is the 'roof drip moulding' and it's not cheap: https://www.jaguarparts.com/oem-part...lding-t2r66547
The eBay photos showing the little tabs can be referenced here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/124518275117

Thanks for any assistance!

Old 02-12-2024 | 12:09 AM
Veteran Member

Can you press the trim piece back in to place easily?
I mean can you easily - not much pressure - push/press it back to where it should sit even though I know it will just spring back out/up again once you let go, or will it simply not "go"?
If it does "go" then you can fix it the same way I fixed the same problem on my F-Type many years ago.
When I collected my car I noticed that the end/tip of this same trim piece (although on the other side, driver's/RHS on my RHD car) was sticking up from the fender, much more/worse than in your pic, it was about 2 mm up in the air.
I got some gel superglue, carefully applied a medium large drop under the tip of the piece using a toothpick, then pressed it firmly down into place and held it down for around 60 seconds. It has never budged a micron since and that was over seven years ago now.
You will need to lift and hold the offending end/tip of the trim piece just a little to get the drop of superglue in on the underside of it, and be extra careful when applying the drop as you don't want to get any on the outside of the trim piece! Also don't use too big a drop as then you risk it squishing out and making a mess and that is why you want gel superglue so it doesn't run/drip out, and aim to get the drop at the back of the trim piece i.e. near the glass.

The following users liked this post:
cloverfield (02-13-2024)
Old 02-12-2024 | 06:24 AM

My trim piece lifted near the passenger door. I put a dab of JB Weld on it (epoxy) from Lowes and it has been in place for a couple year and I was it every 2-3 weeks.

Old 02-12-2024 | 09:26 AM
Default Gel super glue thanks Oz!

The rear left corner window trim on my 2017 coupe was lifting. I used that green painters tape to mask all around the work area, and a piece of thin , flexible cardboard along the lower edge in case the gel happened to flow out. I also put the tape on the trim area that I would be pressing on, so as not to accidentally get any gel from a finger on that trim. Regular super glue is too runny to use. My choice was the Loctite gel. Practice using it on something else beforehand, so you are comfortable with its properties (flow, adhesion speed). You only need to press firmly for a count of 60. Worked perfectly!

The following 2 users liked this post by Valerie Stabenow:
cloverfield (02-13-2024), OzXFR (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024 | 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by cloverfield
There are a few threads going back several years about this and I am curious if there's been any updated part designed to address it.
Basically, the trim that starts behind the mirror and wraps around the door and rear side window seems to lift on the bottom edge, under the window, closest to the door. From what I've been able to find here and on the UK forum, dealers either replace the part or or try to tamp it down with tape or epoxy. I have a MY20 coupe and it's starting to lift and bow slightly out on the driver's side (passenger side is fine.)

I don't want to mess with it because the car is still under warranty, and it also seems the piece is delicate and can bend easily and permanently deform. When looking at this part on eBay, it appears there are small plastic tabs that insert into something near the vehicle body or rubber weatherstripping. Do we know if this part fails because the double-sided tape fails? Or does the piece bow because of heat/sun and movements of the chassis cause those tabs or the entire piece to deform?

The removal and replacement of this trim seems quite involved but I haven't been able to find any workshop doc to get a better idea of the process. For those that have been here before me, what was the remedy?

The trim piece I am talking about is the 'roof drip moulding' and it's not cheap: https://www.jaguarparts.com/oem-part...lding-t2r66547
The eBay photos showing the little tabs can be referenced here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/124518275117

Thanks for any assistance!
The same area lifted on my coupe but on the right side. The dealer replaced with a new piece while car was still under warranty. Removal and install requires the rear quarter window be removed first (window unit held to body by bolts, not glued), which first needed removal of a few interior trim pieces. Because the dealer was unfamiliar with the F Type, several more visits were needed to fix misaligned interior panels, gaskets, weatherstripping, and clips and other parts they broke during the R&R. Had I come across this thread, I would've glued the corner back myself.

The following users liked this post:
cloverfield (02-13-2024)
Old 02-12-2024 | 02:43 PM

My brand new 2023 F-Type I picked up in August had this on both sides. I tried to glue it down but nothing worked so I dropped it off at the dealer to have the parts replaced. It took them about a month to get it done (most of the time was them waiting for parts) they also brought it to a body shop to get the glue residue off that was on the body with the old pieces. The rubber trim around the plastic trim isn't even at all (some sections show more of the rubber than other parts etc) but I'm not going to go crazy with it again unless it ends up lifting again.

Old 02-13-2024 | 07:31 AM
|

I appreciate the replies with your experiences. I will mention it at the next service to see if my local dealer has dealt with this before. I would rather not have them removing the rear side window and all the other steps if a dab of glue will solve the issue.

Old 02-19-2024 | 06:06 PM

The Jaguar dealer just applied some sort of glue to the front of the trim that was lifting up and that fixed it for me.