F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Damage...Am I The Only One?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 11:00 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default I hear you.

Already replaced ours once and it has enough dings that we need to do it again.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:18 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Me too. Was that $1,400 windshield the kind with the heating wires? Have to do mine soon. Tiny rock chip immediately ran into a long crack. Grrrr.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:31 PM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

No, I do not have the heated windshield. Luckily, my insurance comprehensive for the windshield replacement only cost me $100. I highly recommend Safelite for replacement. They ordered the windshield from a Jaguar dealer. The installer took about an hour and replaced the windshield without hardly even touching my car. I hope I am not going to set the record for the number of windshield repairs and replacement in an F-Type. This is a photo of the windshield before replacement and a few photos during.

Attached Thumbnails Windshield Damage...Am I The Only One?-img_4287.jpg   Windshield Damage...Am I The Only One?-img_4296.jpg   Windshield Damage...Am I The Only One?-img_4298.jpg   Windshield Damage...Am I The Only One?-img_4304.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by jmfan:
SinF (04-18-2016), Unhingd (03-17-2015)
Old 03-17-2015, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by jmfan
No, I do not have the heated windshield. Luckily, my insurance comprehensive for the windshield replacement only cost me $100. I highly recommend Safelite for replacement. They ordered the windshield from a Jaguar dealer. The installer took about an hour and replaced the windshield without hardly even touching my car. I hope I am not going to set the record for the number of windshield repairs and replacement in an F-Type. This is a photo of the windshield before replacement and a few photos during.
+1. Safelite is generally excellent, and they dominate the replacement market pretty much nationwide. They have state-of-the art alignment technology, and most of their techs have developed a high degree of proficiency. All insurance companies know them, and it's usually a quick and seamless process with usually no more than a $100 deductible for glass replacement.

They've done perhaps a half-dozen replacements for me other the years, and they've all been perfect. As long as you use factory glass, you won't know the difference, and I doubt that an after-market windshield is available for the F-Type.

Glass replacement is the last type of damage I'd worry about.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:01 AM
Received 258 Likes on 148 Posts

Over on the GT forum there are many people who have used Clearplex successfully.

here is the link to the discussion and you will see the most critical point is the install.

ClearPlex Windshield Film Review

Old 03-17-2015, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by zach05855
Over on the GT forum there are many people who have used Clearplex successfully.
Yes. I know several people who have had good success with it. I'm considering it as I've only driving my F-Type for two weeks and I already have little nicks in the windshield (and these rocks came from other lanes).

Old 03-17-2015, 01:05 PM
Received 258 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
+1. Safelite is generally excellent, and they dominate the replacement market pretty much nationwide. They have state-of-the art alignment technology, and most of their techs have developed a high degree of proficiency. All insurance companies know them, and it's usually a quick and seamless process with usually no more than a $100 deductible for glass replacement.

They've done perhaps a half-dozen replacements for me other the years, and they've all been perfect. As long as you use factory glass, you won't know the difference, and I doubt that an after-market windshield is available for the F-Type.

Glass replacement is the last type of damage I'd worry about.
agreed, I would rather replace my windshield than have to repair a dent and repaint.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:23 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Old 03-18-2015, 09:41 PM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I agree. This windshield picks up a lot of stone damage. I think that the airflow over the hood is not diverting enough airflow off over the windshield.

If you guys recall, the 2012 refresh of the XF included a steeper hood lip toward the base of the windshield. There's no such lip on the F type, and I think that it causes the airflow to directly flow into the glass. As such, stones find their way onto the glass instead of flowing over it. That's probably why the car has an enormous amount of wind noise, as well.

I have less than 5000 miles on the car and I have a few pits in the windshield....annoying....

Old 03-18-2015, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by XFactoR
I agree. This windshield picks up a lot of stone damage. I think that the airflow over the hood is not diverting enough airflow off over the windshield.

If you guys recall, the 2012 refresh of the XF included a steeper hood lip toward the base of the windshield. There's no such lip on the F type, and I think that it causes the airflow to directly flow into the glass. As such, stones find their way onto the glass instead of flowing over it. That's probably why the car has an enormous amount of wind noise, as well.

I have less than 5000 miles on the car and I have a few pits in the windshield....annoying....

Same here...a few pits at less than 2k.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Got hit by a rock on highway, formed a star size of a nickel on my windshield. Big rock was thrown by a car quite a distance away from me. Probably new windshield time...

Q1: Any luck getting such dings repaired? I am not looking for a perfect fix, just something you can't see at 5 feet. The crack is on passenger side.

Q2: I had bad experiences replacing windshields on a convertible in the past, where one car developed a slight cowl shake. That would be a deal-breaker for me, any chance/reports of this happening with F-type?

Old 04-18-2016, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Got hit by a rock on highway, formed a star size of a nickel. Was thrown by a car quite a distance away from me. Probably new windshield time...

Q1: Any luck getting such dings repaired? I am not looking for a perfect fix, just something you can't see at 5 feet. The crack is on passenger side.

Q2: I had bad experiences replacing windshields on a convertible in the past, where one car developed a slight cowl shake. That would be a deal-breaker for me, any chance/reports of this happening with F-type?
Do Not replace windshield for the reasons you cited. They can easily repair a star or cracks that you can hide under a dollar bill if its not in your immediate line of site ahead of you. Do it tomorrow. Otherwise the cracks could spread. Most insurance will cover at no cost to you and they will help you arrange to have a Safelite repair technician come out to your site. They would rather pay the full cost of a repair than the remaining balance after you cover the deductible on a new windshield.

Last edited by Unhingd; 04-18-2016 at 09:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SinF (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I actually stopped by windshield place on my way home. They spoke about some kind of treatment, but when I directly asked if it would reduce how noticeable this damage is their answer was - no.

Should I try different place? There is no Safelite out here.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

You will still be able to see it with any resin repair. The purpose of the repair is to keep it from getting bigger.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
You will still be able to see it with any resin repair. The purpose of the repair is to keep it from getting bigger.
+1. At the size of a quarter, you'll need to look for it to see it. Besides, another few months you'll get another one. Windshield shouldn't be replaced until the damage is within your straight ahead line of site. All my cars have multiple repairs except the Jag , and that will happen anytime now. It's been hit twice now which resulted in a couple of small divots , but fortunately no cracks yet.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:09 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The resin will fill in the cracks, but its not as noticeable unless its directly in your line of sight.

Is that $1,400 the same as the dealership? Reason why I ask is because I also have 3M Crystaline tint 70% on my front windshield as well, which was pretty pricey as far as normal tint prices are, and replacing the windshield will eat into the cost of getting that redone as well.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by zach05855
agreed, I would rather replace my windshield than have to repair a dent and repaint.

+2

way better than body damage though still annoying......I do what I can; no tailgating; passing "with authority".....and I don't insure the car until the cleaning crews have cleared off the winter "gravel".

Dave

Old 04-19-2016, 12:43 AM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

After a year my windshield is completely peppered with tiny rock nicks. The worst though was from a couple weekends ago during a spirited group drive. A lot of rocks and sand being kicked up. Only this time my panoramic roof got chipped in multiple places. When I wash it, it is a perfect black mirror. Now I see white specs and I can feel the little divots.

It is hard to photograph but this is after a wash. Next time I get a car with a glass roof, I'm putting xpel on it as well.

Name:  LVQVSgY.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  522.2 KB

Old 04-19-2016, 06:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

I had my second windscreen fitted at 11k miles when a chip in the driver zone was too large to be repaired. It is full of chips again at 14k miles, but nothing yet that warrants replacement (we have strict size and position rules for chips here - as soon as one fails the test it either needs repairing (if possible) or replacement). From the outside it looks just like Lynx's photo above, like salt has been sprinkled over the windscreen. Fortunately nothing on the glass roof yet! On my other cars they typically get 40-50k highways miles before I need to think about repairing or replacement, and my X Type has done 200k miles now with just one chip repair.

Annoyingly the F Type glass seems to pick up fine scratches from dirt dragged by the wiper very easily. Has anyone else found that? I know the glass on my XJL is extra laminated and has a hydrophobic coating on it but I can't see the symbols on the F Type. Maybe it has a coating too which is easily scratched.

In my case the chips are not from tailgating - I leave double the distance with the F Type to avoid picking up too much road dirt. The biggest 'wacks' I've heard have been stones coming over from the opposite carriageway or from lane 1 into 3 on a highway. In a few cases I've actually seen the projectile moving sideways across the windscreen.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Got hit by a rock on highway, formed a star size of a nickel on my windshield. Big rock was thrown by a car quite a distance away from me. Probably new windshield time...

I've never heard a verified report of cowl shake on a convertible caused by a replaced windshield. If done properly, there's no difference between the aftermarket replacement process and what's done at the factory.

Quick Reply: Windshield Damage...Am I The Only One?