F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield replaced - Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 12:39 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Windshield replaced - Is this normal?

Hi, my F-Type just got a new windshield. I noticed the bottom sealing strip is not glued/aligned properly. Is this normal?

Old 10-26-2016, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

No. They stretched the molding when they pulled it off to replace the glass. Should be fixed right so that you don't experience water leakage and damage.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Burt Gummer (10-26-2016), ress (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,000 Likes on 747 Posts

I guess I need to watch for that. I'm getting my windshield replaced next week, provided there is on in stock locally.

Old 10-27-2016, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
No. They stretched the molding when they pulled it off to replace the glass. Should be fixed right so that you don't experience water leakage and damage.
Thanks Unhingd. Dealer/service has confirmed it is wrong and they will be fixing it. A new molding will be used.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 362 Posts

I'm not sure which body type you have, but whenever you get the windscreen/windshield replaced on an F-Type coupe ensure that the upper edge of the glass is exactly level or slightly lower than the roof panel, and not even a fraction of a mm higher, or you will get vibrations resonating through the car at speeds above 80-90mph.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by xdave
I'm not sure which body type you have, but whenever you get the windscreen/windshield replaced on an F-Type coupe ensure that the upper edge of the glass is exactly level or slightly lower than the roof panel, and not even a fraction of a mm higher, or you will get vibrations resonating through the car at speeds above 80-90mph.
Thanks for your hint. Checked, the windshield is actually fitted perfectly, they just f*up the bottom molding.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 362 Posts

The seal in your photos is cosmetic, and is not part of the weathersealing. It friction clips into a channel that is bonded to the windscreen, which drains at either end above the front fenders and down through the undertray to the ground. As Unhingd says it looks to have been stretched during the removal, but it will only look worse if it is removed again and refitted, and a new part has just as much chance of looking the same. It will require the wiper arms to be pulled again and other bits that you don't want to remove and refit unnecessarily. If it bothers you sufficiently a heat gun on a low setting and gently massaging it will likely get it to sit straight again. Personally I wouldn't give it a second look, but as the dealer has agreed to replace it I would ask them to keep the offer on retainer for as long as I had the car.

The following users liked this post:
Nati (10-27-2016)