F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Wrap question

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 03:39 PM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Windshield Wrap question

Hi everyone, a quick question to the collective.
Has anyone had a windshield wrap installed on their cars yet ?
I saw something on YouTube about a clear exterior wrap that adds UV protection but is not tinted, of course now I can’t find the video
If anyone has this or knows about it I would love to hear about your experience.
Thanks
MM

Old 05-11-2020, 04:02 PM
Received 199 Likes on 106 Posts

try Crystaline clear. it installs on the inside of the windscreen, has a very light blue tint to it. it also scratches quite easily.
Happy Motoring...

Old 05-11-2020, 04:29 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I have ClearPlex on mine for over 2 years now. Can't comment about UV protection but it has eaten about 4 big rocks that could have chipped or cracked the windshield.
I don't notice it being easy to scratch. The only downside is that there was a very subtle distortion effect when you look through. Was told that by the installer that lifespans range from 2 years for a daily up to 5 years for a weekend car.
I found it to be worth the cost.

Old 05-11-2020, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Twitchf00t
I have ClearPlex on mine for over 2 years now. Can't comment about UV protection but it has eaten about 4 big rocks that could have chipped or cracked the windshield.
I don't notice it being easy to scratch. The only downside is that there was a very subtle distortion effect when you look through. Was told that by the installer that lifespans range from 2 years for a daily up to 5 years for a weekend car.
I found it to be worth the cost.
This sounds like the stuff I saw on YouTube but their website doesn’t list any North American dealers.
I will keep searching for it, thanks.

Originally Posted by vettegood
try Crystaline clear. it installs on the inside of the windscreen, has a very light blue tint to it. it also scratches quite easily.
Happy Motoring...
I think this would be good for UV but not for protecting the glass. Looks like a quality 3M product though.
Thanks for the feedback

The recent cracked windshield posts reminded me to look into this. Will keep searching and post if find anything else.

Old 05-12-2020, 07:35 AM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi I have been looking into this for my MY16 since the windshield has a lot of very minute pitting all over which can be annoying when the sun hits a certain way
I was going to replace the windshield and then cover it with a product called Exoshield.
Tint World sells it here in Ontario.
There are a few products similar to this for the windshield. I think Ziebart also has one.
It is about $500 in Canada to do this. Not sure how much a windshield is for our F Type since I just got it 2 weeks ago
The rest of the car is chip free because it has the entire front and part of the sides covered in a film.

Old 05-12-2020, 08:14 AM

Talked to two local tint guys yesterday, both had heard of similar products but neither had installed any.
Further searches found a couple of DYI videos but they look to require a lot of skill, not something I would feel comfortable doing myself.
The search continues 👍

Old 05-12-2020, 11:01 AM
Received 258 Likes on 148 Posts

I have a clearplex film on my windshield. Found out after the fact that here in Alberta it is illegal to have any film on your windshield. So check local laws to make sure it's legal.

also this is what they are telling us now.

WINDSHIELD PROTECTION FILM
No longer recommended by Calgary PPF

Calgary PPF is no longer recommending the use of Windshield Protection Films as a viable method of protecting windshields for Calgary consumers.

Reason #1 - You will still get rock chips even if overall volume is diminished.

Reason #2 - The film prevents glass shops from being able to fix these before they spider.

Reason #3 - The process of removing the film to fix these chips often forces the chip to spider out, ruining the windshield.

Reason #4 - These films constantly de-laminate and become scuffed and scratched within less than a year of driving, obstructing vision and marring the appearance of the vehicle.

Reason #5 - These films are prohibitively expensive both for the end consumer and installation shops.

Reason #6 - It is impossible to install these films to a high degree of aesthetic perfection. Burn marks and creases are common.

Reason #7 - These films are not legal within the province of Alberta.

These reasons apply to all current windshield protection film brands on the market today. All other coating or protection products are placebo products with zero provable efficacy.

The only viable protection for windshields currently on the market is windshield insurance. Get your chips fixed ASAP, before they spider.

The following 2 users liked this post by zach05855:
DPelletier (05-13-2020), madmax1911 (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Reason #7 is widely applicable throughout the US as well. Optical distortion is the primary reason.

Old 05-12-2020, 07:10 PM

Yup..... the more I research the less this seems like a good fit for me. Thanks for the feedback, but I think I will drop this to the back burner for now. The car goes in the the shop on Friday to have the side skirts and front canards wrapped in gloss black.