F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter storage recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 02:24 PM
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Kitesurfer
I am by no means an expert BUT I can tell you my first hand experience storing boats over the years as this issue seems to come up for debate all the time. I am more of a fan of adding stabil or other gas preservative to a tank with less gas than a full tank. I often run it down to about 1/10 a tank and add the correct amount then.
Yes, this issue comes up for debate all the time BUT car and boats are similar to apples an oranges. Boats have open fuel systems where air semi-freely circulates from the fuel tanks to atmosphere as compared to modern cars where the entire fuel system is as air tight as a sealed can. There's no mystery as to why boats may have problems.

No air, no significant spoilage. Let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Just come back from a very nice 3 weeks Holiday in Cabo San Lucas (Mexico - fishing), White Stallion Ranch (Arizona - horseback riding) and a nice drive from there via Grand Canyon, Las Vegas and Yosemite to San Francisco.

Before we left I prepared the Jag for winter storage, just in case the winter should come early, but I did hope for some more drives this year. This is the second winter with the Jag, and since I did not experienced any problems after last winter, I did the same this year - washed and dried of the car, overinflated the tyres, put a sock filled with cat sand in the cabin (to soak up moisture) and covered the car with a good quality indoor car cover (car sits in a non heated garage) - that's it. And I will trickle charge the battery once a month with a Cteck charger.

Very glad I did this before we went on Holiday as winter did come early, and we have allready gotten the first snow this weekend. Just had time enough to put winter tires on our everyday car this friday

Old 11-26-2016, 08:35 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Car goes into winter storage today, after another fun year with it - it has around 33,000 miles on it.

On the plus side, it's sunny and in the mid 40s, so the top will be down on the way to its winter home.

The following users liked this post:
Mahjik (11-26-2016)
Old 12-31-2016, 09:21 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

At this point I've now stored my 2017 F Type S Jessica for the winter and will do the one year service in the spring. I don't often name my cars but a co-worker came up with the name and it seems to fit. In college I dated a Jessica and she had an un satiable sexual appetite. (cue the word nympho maniac). You couple this with a personality that went from calm to unpredictable and you have described the Jaguar F Type S diving experience.
I do have a storage question for you regarding long term storage. I've done the usual stuff. Battery tender, wash and wax, full tank of gas and car cover along with mouse traps set around the perimeter like a moat protecting its castle. The question is the tires. I've over inflated them by 10 pounds intentionally to avoid flat spots on the tires. I've also read about storage ramps that are curved to nestle the tire for its long winters nap.
Are they effective and don't flat spots on modern tires go away after the tire has warmed up? Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks
Johnny Rotten
PS My wife Janet is ok with the name Jessica.......I just have to figure out why she calls her Toyota Corolla Big Bill..................

Old 01-01-2017, 05:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Johnny,
yes to all. I think you are all set for the winter. Now you need to concern yourself with Janet and Big Bill.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just garaged my 2016 base for the winter. Filled the tank, filled the tires to 45 psi (37 is recommended inside the door) and covered it. Opted not to use the battery tender, but I only plan to store it until March when the weather is consistently warmer, so I'm not too concerned about two months. Wasn't able to get it as clean as I would have liked; the weather yesterday was rainy here and I could only spot-wash it, but the inside of the cover is very soft so hopefully I don't find anything unfortunate when I uncover it.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:31 PM
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Don't be surprised if your battery is dead flat in March..

Old 01-03-2017, 04:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Don't be surprised if your battery is dead flat in March..
You really think so? I've stored other cars, granted with less on-board computing power, for longer than that and not had any issues.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

If the energy control module is working properly, it will put the car into complete stasis after a period of time. Based on my own experience, it will certainly hold a charge for close to a month without throwing the battery low alarm. If your car is in a secure location, just leave the hood unlatched in case you need to power the car up easily.