Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Wheels & Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2023, 12:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Wheels & Tires

Hi All,

I'm brand new to the forum and this is my first post!

I just made the jump to a 2020 F-Type R V8 AWD Coupe with 20" staggered wheels. I want to put new wheels and tires on it to drive it through the Michigan winter. I'm a few hours into reading forum threads and various articles and have reached an impasse (and could use your advice).

What I'd like to do is:

- Buy a new set of wheels, 9x20 fronts and 10.5x20 rears for a reasonable price ($1,200 or so / set)
- Buy a matching set of Nokian Hakkapelitta R5 tires to go with the wheels

This doesn't seem to be possible since I can't find a good place that offers these wheel sizes and Jaguar bolt patterns (and don't cost full Jaguar OEM prices), and Nokian doesn't make a 295 width tire (but does make a 255). Sigh. Am I missing the location of the secret source of good Jaguar wheel and tire options on the internet?

Now it seems that my best option is to buy four 9x20 wheels (from where I still don't know), four Nokian 255 tires, and add 1-1/2" spacers to the rear wheels. Any better ideas?

I've read about the idea of going down to 19" wheels with taller tires but I'd rather not. I like the look of the 20"s and understand there are potential clearance concerns with the brakes. Speaking of which, how do I know what brakes I have? I'm assuming the Super Performance = 380 mm front and 376 mm rear? I attached a couple of pictures if that helps.

Much appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails Winter Wheels & Tires-front-brakes.jpg   Winter Wheels & Tires-rear-brakes.jpg  
Old 12-15-2023, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

Are you planning to drive in really bad weather - snow and ice?
If just thinking about driving in cold / wet, then you might check your options with "all season" tires.
I fit Michelin PS4 A/S that work great here in MA but then I never take the Jag out in bad weather - that's what the Jeep is for!!

Old 12-15-2023, 07:00 AM
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by southernfool
Hi All,

I'm brand new to the forum and this is my first post!

I just made the jump to a 2020 F-Type R V8 AWD Coupe with 20" staggered wheels. I want to put new wheels and tires on it to drive it through the Michigan winter. I'm a few hours into reading forum threads and various articles and have reached an impasse (and could use your advice).

What I'd like to do is:

- Buy a new set of wheels, 9x20 fronts and 10.5x20 rears for a reasonable price ($1,200 or so / set)
- Buy a matching set of Nokian Hakkapelitta R5 tires to go with the wheels

This doesn't seem to be possible since I can't find a good place that offers these wheel sizes and Jaguar bolt patterns (and don't cost full Jaguar OEM prices), and Nokian doesn't make a 295 width tire (but does make a 255). Sigh. Am I missing the location of the secret source of good Jaguar wheel and tire options on the internet?

Now it seems that my best option is to buy four 9x20 wheels (from where I still don't know), four Nokian 255 tires, and add 1-1/2" spacers to the rear wheels. Any better ideas?

I've read about the idea of going down to 19" wheels with taller tires but I'd rather not. I like the look of the 20"s and understand there are potential clearance concerns with the brakes. Speaking of which, how do I know what brakes I have? I'm assuming the Super Performance = 380 mm front and 376 mm rear? I attached a couple of pictures if that helps.

Much appreciated!
I have the same brakes and 19" wheels clear them (at least the Centrifuge wheels do). I would step down in size for winter tires and try to run the narrowest set you can if you will really be driving in snow a lot. I think the extra clearance to the wheel wells would be welcome. Or spend the $3500 it will cost for wheels and tires on a winter beater and keep the F-type in the garage.

Old 12-15-2023, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member

One more thought...
I would never drive in snow unless you are prepared to get the low clearance front damaged.
Snow plows leave large chunks of ice/snow that will ruin your nice new R

The following 3 users liked this post by CJSJAG:
Carbuff2 (12-16-2023), Ichi Ban (12-18-2023), PaulBarrrera (12-15-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
Are you planning to drive in really bad weather - snow and ice?
If just thinking about driving in cold / wet, then you might check your options with "all season" tires.
I fit Michelin PS4 A/S that work great here in MA but then I never take the Jag out in bad weather - that's what the Jeep is for!!
Yes, I plan to drive it 90% of the time, which covers the 3-4 months where the average temps are freezing and conditions are slippery. The roads are typically plowed well enough and if it’s just and inch or two of snow then I still want to drive the Jag. On the occasional day where multiple inches are forecast I’ll switch to a secondary vehicle.

Old 12-15-2023, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by southernfool
Yes, I plan to drive it 90% of the time, which covers the 3-4 months where the average temps are freezing and conditions are slippery. The roads are typically plowed well enough and if it’s just and inch or two of snow then I still want to drive the Jag. On the occasional day where multiple inches are forecast I’ll switch to a secondary vehicle.
To which I say, “Bravo!”

Old 12-15-2023, 09:17 AM
Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Good call to get winter wheels. I never quite got the point of running all season tyres with a car like the F-Type. I'd also consider going down to 19". I run 20" carbon blades for the summer and 19" propellers in the winter. Those brakes do look like the super high performance brakes which I also have and 19" wheels, at least OEM, fit fine.

I guess you have a proper garage for the car and won't park it outdoors. These cars are not ideal to park outdoors in the winter because the door handles, lock mechanisms and windows tend to freeze up.

Old 12-15-2023, 10:14 AM
Received 126 Likes on 106 Posts

I did it backwards. I wanted another set of wheels for the summer and it took all winter to acquire a set of Gyrodynes in tech grey/diamond turned. All came from the UK via eBay. Meanwhile I ran a set of re980’s during the winter (don’t need full on snows in STL). If it snows a bunch, we drive the F Pace.

Old 12-15-2023, 10:49 AM
Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Been waiting for the snow before sharing but since you asked, here it is, it’s probably the best winter set up and it doesn’t cost you an arm or a leg!

Perfect stance with spacer

Deep deep real snow grooves, stud ready

Around $200 mounted and balanced.

fronts is a simple bolt on, get some cheap used oem wheels and slap the tires on, spacer optional.

get 2 more front wheels for the rear, add a pair of 50mm bonos spacer(listed as Ford Bronco), this is necessary if you don’t want it looking funny.

Haven’t snowed here yet but served me well in the dry and wet, and I’m confident they are nights and days better than 295 sottozeros i had when it actually snows.

Old 12-15-2023, 01:49 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a similar dilemma as you (2018 R, looking for winter wheels/tires) - ended up that another member had 19's with Michelin Pilot Alpin's on them that I purchased. Have worked out well and no problem with clearance

If you're looking to drive a bunch in the winter, I'd definitely see if you can spray some Fluid Film or similar on the underbody to help with the salt/etc.

Old 12-15-2023, 07:28 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I would second the recommendation to go with smaller sized wheels, you want thinner rubber to cut through the snow.

I opted for Motegi Mar153 19" x 4 and used a rear spacer to bring the rear tires flush (1.25"). Original option for tires were the Hakkapeliitta but I was offered a screaming deal on the P-zeros 3s (245/45/19) and they have served me well.

more fun in the snow - snow tires make all the difference

..dB

Old 12-16-2023, 11:49 AM

Interested to see what people are doing for winter.

I am on the hunt for a set of winter wheels and tires as well. Where I live we don’t generally get loads of snow, but we get sub 40° temperatures for extended periods of time and dustings of snow/light ice. Like the OP I intend to drive this daily unless there’s enough snow/ice on the ground to make it impossible.

on all my other vehicles, I’ve just been able to grab a cheap-ish set of aftermarket wheels and throw decent snow tires on it to use for the winter, but I was also kind of surprised (in hindsight it’s pretty obvious why) to find few manufactures have 20 inch snow tires in wide widths.

The other complication I have is that the carbon ceramic brakes make it difficult to use other OEM f-type wheels because of caliper clearance.

Old 12-16-2023, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member

Cameflage: Just go with decent A/S tires.
Perfect for those conditions and probably quieter and better handling than snows.
As previous, I am very satisfied with the Michelin PS4 A/S I fitted to my P380.
Decent enough in light snow, especially with AWD, though I do not drive the F-Type in snow.

The following users liked this post:
Camelflage (12-16-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 07:24 AM
Received 424 Likes on 174 Posts

What is this "winter" of which people speak?

Old 12-17-2023, 07:39 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Been asking myself that same question lately, half way through December and no snow in sight...

Old 12-17-2023, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member

Seems to me we should really be asking what type of tire is best in heavy rain.
I am guessing that A/S tires are perhaps best against aquaplaning.
Whether it is rain or slush, these cars do not do well in more than 4 inches!!

Old 12-17-2023, 09:52 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I’ll be interested in hearing how your car handles the lake effect winters we have in West Michigan. Although, this winter has been pretty mild so far. Mine gets tucked away in the winter. From what I have read here, keep an eye out for rust on the rear brace under the car. Good to see another R owner in the area…they are as rare as unicorn tears around here

Old 12-17-2023, 11:07 AM
Received 121 Likes on 51 Posts

FWIW, we lived in the Portland, Or area for 7 years. We got an occasional snow, but more frequently freezing rain, or frozen fog which was as slippery as a hoe handle with owl **** on it. As well, we drove or Acura MDX to Southern California several times per year in the winter through the snowy Shasta Mountains, I put Bridgestone Blizzaks on it in the winter…and man…they took on all the worstbo& winter like as if the roads were cleared. The last trip, before we moved south, there was heavy snow from Grants Pass, OR to Redding, Ca. It was mandatory chain up for all but AWD with winter tires…which we had. And we had no trouble cruising through 8” of snow…except I had to stop a few times to clear out the radiator.

Also, having lived in Rochester, NY for 7 years and had 2 cars totaled from rust. I’d be concerned that anything that can rust or oxidize on your Jag…will. I heard of all the hardware rusting on Corvettes in Rochester. It was common for people to have a beater winter car.

Old 12-17-2023, 10:49 PM

I went with 19s on my 2023 R. They clear the brakes just fine.

Old 12-17-2023, 11:35 PM

I love it!

Quick Reply: Winter Wheels & Tires