F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Wheels & Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2024, 08:27 PM
Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by southernfool
Second, I learned that the 20mm spacer for the front wheel isn't thick enough to cover up the original stud bolts. Even though the OEM wheels have a small cavity to allow for some stud protrusion, I would have had to grind off somewhere between 1/4" and 1/2" of the stud, removing almost all of the non-threaded lead-in to the bolt. Though I had the tools I just wasn't willing to do that and risk some irreversible damage to the car. So I left the 20mm spacers off and just installed the new wheels/tires normally, and they looked very similar to the summer tire setup.

Third, I learned that the 50mm spacer for the rear wheel is much thicker/beefier than I imagined, and after installing it, the rear wheels/tires stuck out noticeably further than the front wheels/tires without the spacers. Noticeable to me, anyway. I guess that was to be expected, but my brain just didn't put it all together until I was standing there looking at it. After some thought and walking around the car a bunch of times I decided that I didn't care and would live with it. Maybe there is some solution to the front stud grinding issue that I don't know about, but I'm not going to buy another set of 35mm spacers to replace the 50mm spacers to make it perfect. In hindsight I should have just bought 35mm spacers to begin with.

do not buy 35mm for the front, you will rub one way or another.

It’s weird your wheels do not fit over the studs with spacer, did you measure the depth of the recessed area?

Old 01-21-2024, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Ray Ray,

My 35mm spacer comment was only regarding the rear wheels, meaning that in hindsight I should have bought 35mm spacers just for the rear wheels and no spacers for the front wheels. Now I have 50mm spacers on the rear wheels and unused 20mm spacers originally intended (but not installed) for the front wheels, and there is a noticeable difference, maybe just to F-Type owners though!

The recess for stud bolts on my 20" summer wheels is much deeper than my 19" winter wheels. The 20" stud recess is around 1/2" to 9/16", and the 19" stud recess is 1/4" or less. So I would have to grind more than 1/4" off the studs. I don't know why that is... maybe all 19" recesses are shallow like that? Maybe it's just the Volution style? For whatever the reason, it's still what I've got, and like I mentioned, it's not the end of the world and I can live with it.

Old 01-21-2024, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Hi Ray Ray,

My 35mm spacer comment was only regarding the rear wheels, meaning that in hindsight I should have bought 35mm spacers just for the rear wheels and no spacers for the front wheels. Now I have 50mm spacers on the rear wheels and unused 20mm spacers originally intended (but not installed) for the front wheels, and there is a noticeable difference, maybe just to F-Type owners though!

The recess for stud bolts on my 20" summer wheels is much deeper than my 19" winter wheels. The 20" stud recess is around 1/2" to 9/16", and the 19" stud recess is 1/4" or less. So I would have to grind more than 1/4" off the studs. I don't know why that is... maybe all 19" recesses are shallow like that? Maybe it's just the Volution style? For whatever the reason, it's still what I've got, and like I mentioned, it's not the end of the world and I can live with it.
Many here have cut or ground 3 or 4 mm off the studs to accommodate spacers with no problems and from all reports it's reasonably quick and easy to do.
You only need to cut off the unthreaded bit on the end of each stud so it makes zero difference to how the wheel nuts go on (if you remove the spacers).

Old 01-22-2024, 02:30 PM
Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Hi Ray Ray,

Didn’t read properly, all good then!

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Many here have cut or ground 3 or 4 mm off the studs to accommodate spacers with no problems and from all reports it's reasonably quick and easy to do.
You only need to cut off the unthreaded bit on the end of each stud so it makes zero difference to how the wheel nuts go on (if you remove the spacers).
he would have to cut into the threads with that much less depth in the recess with the 19s.

Old 01-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

In case you were unaware, it's not just a lack of traction in low temps. Ultra High-performance summer tires can be permanently damaged by driving in low temps.

There are two different issues. The first is losing traction when cold, ~40°F (5°C).

And then there is the matter of actually damaging the tire when it is colder, ~20°F (-7°C).
Here from Michelin:

Michelin Ultra-High Performance (UHP) Sport Summer tires use tread compounds that are optimized for maximum dry and damp grip in temperate conditions. As the temperature of the compound nears freezing, the grip level of the tire begins to degrade. Michelin does not recommend using UHP Sport Summer tires when tire temperatures drop below 40°F (5°C) or on snow and ice.

At tire temperatures below 20°F (-7°C) Michelin UHP Sport Summer tires may develop surface cracks in the upper sidewall and tread area if flexed. Do not use, roll, or drop MICHELIN UHP Sport Summer tires with temperatures below 20°F (-7°C). If the tires have been cooled to 20°F (-7°C) or less, let them warm up in a heated space to at least 40°F (5°C) before being installed or moving a vehicle on which they are installed. Do not apply heat or blow heated air directly on the tires. Always inspect tires before use. Never use a tire with freeze cracks, breaks, or damage to the sidewall or tread.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (01-23-2024)