F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter wheels and tires for base 2014 F-type

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter wheels and tires for base 2014 F-type

Hello. I’m new here. Glad to find this forum. Thanks in advance for any help.

Just called my dealer’s parts department and asked, “What are your F-type drivers doing to be able to drive their cars this winter?” The answer I received, “Putting their F-types in the garage.” Very helpful. Not.

I contacted JaguarNA and they simply sent me to page 167 of my owner’s manual. I’ve tried to find the recommended tires for my 18” wheels. Not in stock anywhere yet. Told by TireRack they might be by end of Oct. Which would be fine.

But, I’m really hoping to get a set of basic wheels with snow tires mounted so I can do the swap myself in my garage pre and post snow season here in Philly.

My questions to you…

Do you know of any aftermarket 18” wheel (besides the stock Jaguar wheel) that works with the F-Type?

I’m OK to change tires sizes for winter. I know BMW M3 drivers do that. Anyone doing that with their F-type? I’d love to do what BMW M3 drivers do: thinner wheels and Blizzak tires.

I’m looking for any wheel and snow tire recommendations for the base Jaguar F-type.

Thanks for your help.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Tapesonic
Hello. I’m new here. Glad to find this forum. Thanks in advance for any help.

Just called my dealer’s parts department and asked, “What are your F-type drivers doing to be able to drive their cars this winter?” The answer I received, “Putting their F-types in the garage.” Very helpful. Not.

I contacted JaguarNA and they simply sent me to page 167 of my owner’s manual. I’ve tried to find the recommended tires for my 18” wheels. Not in stock anywhere yet. Told by TireRack they might be by end of Oct. Which would be fine.

But, I’m really hoping to get a set of basic wheels with snow tires mounted so I can do the swap myself in my garage pre and post snow season here in Philly.

My questions to you…

Do you know of any aftermarket 18” wheel (besides the stock Jaguar wheel) that works with the F-Type?

I’m OK to change tires sizes for winter. I know BMW M3 drivers do that. Anyone doing that with their F-type? I’d love to do what BMW M3 drivers do: thinner wheels and Blizzak tires.

I’m looking for any wheel and snow tire recommendations for the base Jaguar F-type.

Thanks for your help.
I had an XKR before my F-type R and for the winter I bought 'Coventry' wheels (they make after market wheels that fit Jags.) that are cheaper than factory and Yokohama snow tires. We get a lot of snow here and with Pirelli snows, which are good, I couldn't get the traction in deeper snow, yet with the Yokohama snows I did. I recall that they use a crushed walnut technology in the compound that made them quite good on icy roads as well.
Basically, I was able to drive in soft snow up to a few inches easily, and with dry snow, pretty well right up to the bottom of the car. These tires were bought about 4 years ago, so I'm not sure of any newer technology.
Lawrence.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Tapesonic,

That maybe wasn't the answer you wanted to hear, but it was an accurate answer from the dealer. I would also guess that 90+-something percent of F-Type owners would never consider driving in snow. However, I would, and I did it for years with an M3 in Minnesota on Blizzaks. It performed brilliantly, if you know how to drive in snow. It was great fun motoring around in a foot or so of powder, but these days, I use my Jeep Wrangler.

Don't know which model F that you have or what type of wheels, but the 18" "Velas" on the base car are widely available at cheap prices because those who bought base cars look to upgrade. Google Midwest Wheel and Tire who had a wide selection of those when I was looking for a larger wheel. They were terrific to deal with. EBay Motors also seems to routinely have them as well.

Now on the question of snow tires, the biggest problem may be finding those in 18" sizes. The norm for those seems to be 16-17" being the largest, but I haven't looked in a while.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-02-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I have 20 x 8.5 Nokian Hakkapaliitta R's for my XF SC. Should be available in 18's or smaller. Highly rated and price to match. Not sure about the wheels.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:40 PM
SMc
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 18's on the V-8s for winter?

I bought my F Type in Chicago and the salesman told me he had good luck with winter tires on an F Type. Without a LR dealership they were limited on winter show cars for the sales guys.

Does anyone know if the V-8s has larger brakes and cannot fit the 18" wheels? I'm thinking of a winter set myself...

Old 10-09-2014, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by SMc
I bought my F Type in Chicago and the salesman told me he had good luck with winter tires on an F Type. Without a LR dealership they were limited on winter show cars for the sales guys.

Does anyone know if the V-8s has larger brakes and cannot fit the 18" wheels? I'm thinking of a winter set myself...
When I had my XKR a 19 in. snow wheel/tire was the smallest I could fit over the brakes and I assume my F type R brakes are the same size.
Lawrence.