F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winterizing

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 01:19 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My cover arrives on Thursday and I'm considering renting a garage for the winter. I have a 3 car garage, but have always used the extra "car" for stuff like the riding mower, my CBR600RR and the snow blower. Right now my DD gets parked outside, but that's going to get old really quick scraping the windows at 6am every morning. It's too late in the season to pour a pad and buy a shed, so a rental garage is the only option if I want to park my DD in the garage this winter.

Anyway, what's the best way to hook up the battery tender? From reading, everyone says to use a spot on the power distribution block and the ground post. My convertible doesn't appear to have the ground post. I can follow the ground wire from the battery to under some trim, but it looks like I'd have to tear half the trunk apart to see where it goes.

Is there another way to hook up the tender on a convertible?

Old 11-02-2021, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

My CTEK is hooked to the positive terminal blade under he hood (RHS) and to a threaded stud adjacent to it .
The cable feeds nicely down through the ftont wheel well and allows the hood to close normally.
I did post photos on this forum but have not been able to find the posting.
This is on a 2021 convertible V6.

Also, before you rent a garage, I went through the same challenge.
I found that by parking the 3 cars (Audi A7, Jeep Grand Cherokee, F-Type) closer to the automatic garage doors, there was space at the end of the garage to accomodate all my tools including a large snow blower, a lawn mower, a pressure washer and a work bench.
We also have 2 kayaks and a couple of garden carts.
I have put hanging plastic soda bottles that just touch the windshields when the cars are far enough in to miss the garage doors.
So, you might be pleasantly surprised how much room you can find - after all the F-Type is not a big car..

The following users liked this post:
tzoid9 (11-02-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member

I forgot that I even had a large Triumph motorcycle in there as well for the first 6 months.

Old 11-02-2021, 01:39 PM

Is this how you did it?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...3/#post1710314

I have some other crap sitting in the garage that has to go first. My two trash cans need to get moved outside and I have a pinball machine sitting there that I'm selling. Once that stuff is gone, I stand a chance, but winter is closing fast.....

EDIT -> It looks like that guy had to hack up his battery terminal under the hood to get it to work. I'm not planning on going at my car with a hack saw and a drill.

Old 11-02-2021, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, same way.
One thing to pay attention to is when drilling the positive blade terminal.
It is copper and releases fine copper particles when you drill.
Wrap around the terminal with duct tape and a rag to capture the bits to avoid them going anywhere near other components.
It is very easy - no hacking!!

Old 11-02-2021, 01:50 PM

Thanks. I think I might go this route though since it appears as though we don't have what I'm seeing labeled as the ECO battery. I'm reading that electrically it's no different if hooked up directly to the battery posts or if you use a ground stud. Also, no drilling or cutting required.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...6/#post2279451

I just need to pull mine apart when I get home and see if the battery setup is the same as it is in the 2018MY in the pictures.

Old 11-02-2021, 04:16 PM
Received 441 Likes on 236 Posts

I have my tender pigtail permanently hooked up to the battery terminals in the back, with the pigtail plug sticking out from under the cover of the batter compartment. Very easy to plug in, and the trunk can close on the convertible even with the cable dangling out (just don't get it in the path of the "feet" of the trunk lid. Takes less than 20 seconds to connect and disconnect.

Old 11-02-2021, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyderturbo007
Is this how you did it?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...3/#post1710314

I have some other crap sitting in the garage that has to go first. My two trash cans need to get moved outside and I have a pinball machine sitting there that I'm selling. Once that stuff is gone, I stand a chance, but winter is closing fast.....

EDIT -> It looks like that guy had to hack up his battery terminal under the hood to get it to work. I'm not planning on going at my car with a hack saw and a drill.
That guy is me!
No hacking was required, I drilled a small hole through the positive charging terminal and I cut a small slot in the red plastic cover.
Once the cover is closed all you can see are the two wires and the end of the pigtail lead.
I forgot to add, although I did post it somewhere else, I found that the pigtail end of the lead can be tucked up under the outside edge of the hood/bonnet in the plastic lining (directly above the front wheel) where it sits reasonably firmly so it doesn't fall out when driving. Then, to connect your battery tender, it's dead easy to flip out with one finger and plug in, and that way I can hook up the tender without having to open anything let alone the hood and with the car still fully locked.