Sponsored by:

Worst Car Ive ever owned

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 07:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Worst Car Ive ever owned

New F Type standard 3 litre.
Absolute rubbish.
Gearbox problems,rear spoiler problems,Needed geometry and steering wheel not straight,rubbish radio that wouldn't eve n balance left to right which after much complaining they changed,new roof motor as kept getting stuck down...great in rainy uk,poor fitting body panels,noise from seats that they can't cure.Last but not least a replacement exhaust and all within the first 3000 miles.
Jaguar need to totally re think their replacement car policy as I can't trust mine to go on a long journey as may let me down

Old 06-28-2015, 08:22 AM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

What year is your car? Did you buy it new?
Would be very interested in the build month, and some more history here. We've had some used pups turn up here (including at least one flood victim).
I have a 2015, left the factory January 14th 2015, so far 2,600 miles no problems. A lot of the earlier cars have some "known issues" -- check the forum sticky post...

Old 06-28-2015, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

I tend not to take short little blurbs like we see here too seriously. Usually there are background factors going on that influence the customer or the vehicle that we aren't seeing. And based on the fact that I've never heard of anyone else having most of the issues, i'd be surprised if it was all that serious. Generally people go into a much longer and more detailed story when they have real problems.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

I think I'll go over to the Porsche forums now and tell them all the problems I have on my (imaginary) 911 GT3 RS... Absolutely Rubbish!

The following users liked this post:
Masher02 (06-29-2015)
Old 06-28-2015, 10:18 AM
Default Not a problem if think I am lying

I own several garages so am aware that people sometime exaggerate problems.
My gearbox problem which went on for ten weeks meant that a gearbox fault shown on dash and couldn't get car in to gear and I have videos to prove the point.Despite me telling dealer and Jaguar it was a wiring problem but only happened once or twice a week they could nt detect.In the end I got the service manager from the dealership come to my premises to see the problem I was experiencing...turned out to be a wiring fault.My company corrected the geometry at no charge to Jaguar.The roof would not close occasionally and had to keep pressing switch on and off till it did.The exhaust started to rattle badly.The last two items were rectified while I was on holiday meaning replacement roof motor and replacement exhaust.I have no grudges against the dealer and they have been extremely helpful and embarrassed at the faults that kept happening.
It is well known that Jaguars build on this model is poor and this is confirmed even by another Jag dealer.I am not a young guy and am most probably more experienced with cars than most people on this forum so believe me or not in my case Im fed up with the car.It was new and took delivery on the 1st of Feb this year and has done 3500 miles

Old 06-28-2015, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

When one joins a car forum and the 2nd post is one like yours, it does strain the credulity of most members, and looks like someone just trying to stir the pot. Your second attempt was better, and you at least offered a few details, which were more credible.

Nonetheless and speaking of worst cars ever owned, mine was a 2002 BMW 740i, which was haunted by electronic demons and burned about a quart of oil every 500 miles since new. The demons required about a dozen trips to the dealer and were never completely resolved.

I was told that the oil burn was "in spec", and it would probably get better. It didn't, and the engine failed completely at 10K miles. I lemon-lawed the car, and did not purchase another.

Every make and model has a small fraction "lemons." With regard to my base F-Type convertible, it has been completely flawless in 6K miles, requiring no dealer visits other than it's recent 1-year complimentary annual service. As far as I'm concerned, the build quality is as good or better than any of the 4 dozen or more vehicles I've owned.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:14 PM
Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by vaughan1948
I own several garages so am aware that people sometime exaggerate problems.
My gearbox problem which went on for ten weeks meant that a gearbox fault shown on dash and couldn't get car in to gear and I have videos to prove the point.Despite me telling dealer and Jaguar it was a wiring problem but only happened once or twice a week they could nt detect.In the end I got the service manager from the dealership come to my premises to see the problem I was experiencing...turned out to be a wiring fault.My company corrected the geometry at no charge to Jaguar.The roof would not close occasionally and had to keep pressing switch on and off till it did.The exhaust started to rattle badly.The last two items were rectified while I was on holiday meaning replacement roof motor and replacement exhaust.I have no grudges against the dealer and they have been extremely helpful and embarrassed at the faults that kept happening.
It is well known that Jaguars build on this model is poor and this is confirmed even by another Jag dealer.I am not a young guy and am most probably more experienced with cars than most people on this forum so believe me or not in my case Im fed up with the car.It was new and took delivery on the 1st of Feb this year and has done 3500 miles
You are the first person I've heard of with all these problems. I've nearly had my F-Type for 2 years (10,000 miles+) and the only problem I've had is the buzzing speaker problem has occurred (which is a common problem). Your issues seem very unique so whether a dealer says 'its a bad build' or whatever seems disingenuous. It is possible to get unlucky. There are a lot of hand-finished/built parts on the car. I had an Aston Martin Vantage that had a litany of problems and I hardly drove it. I had a Ferrari 355 that was in the shop every 4months. I have friends with Ferraris and Maseratis that are spending tens of thousands on their cars with issues. Maybe Porsche and the Germans don't have such issues with their military precision and efficient assembly line practices but then for me their cars lack that 'attitude' / 'personality' / 'imperfection'/ 'raw' character, whatever you want to call it. It appeals to us F-Type owners.
As a modern sports car goes the F-Type is generally a superb experience. You got unlucky. Whats most important is how the dealer deals with it. You should just get a new F-Type because you are the exception to the rule here, do not think your situation is normal.

Old 06-28-2015, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

If you were so experienced with cars, you'd know that the F Type actually has relatively good initial reliability. This month, in fact, it scored 11th out of all cars sold in the U.S. in initial quality in J.D. Power's yearly report. And while I think J.D. Power is a terrible judge for long term reliability, it does accurately display where we currently are with the model and where you had your alleged failures. You may have had some problems, but don't blame the whole brand for one cars failure unless you have additional similar failures to back it up.

For example, we cannot say Jaguar made a low quality car with the F Type... But we can say Jaguar customer service is crap.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:24 PM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
For example, we cannot say Jaguar made a low quality car with the F Type... But we can say Jaguar customer service is crap.
While Jaguar customer service may be crap I have found that the dealer customer service is exceptional- at least in my case.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by alexg
You are the first person I've heard of with all these problems.
Collectively , maybe yes. Individually no. All of the problems as more adequately described by the OP are known issues: transmission light plus getting stuck in a gear, rattling valves on the active exhaust,...

Now.. since the title of the thread isn't F-Type specific, my worst car ever was a '74 Mustang II, handily outshined by 1964 Ford Anglia and 1960 Renault, both running in second place but nowhere in the same league of crappy.

The following users liked this post:
Jdwoody17 (03-27-2022)
Old 06-28-2015, 06:19 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Sounds like he got a bad one, or this is BS

It's funny I was just reading the head to head on the F-Type S and new Stingray road trip (Automobile Upshift). The Stingray broke down a lot and the F-Type had no issues. They ended up preferring the Jag because they could trust it.

Given my V8S was one of the first cars off the line (something I wasn't aware of till later) it has been relatively problem free and, other than a flat (which ran out of air in my garage) it has never left me high and dry. Much more reliable than any other Jag I've owned and in line with my second Audi TT. (The first one had issues).

Currently the club I belong to is trying to have their Viper taken back under the Lemon law (without much luck). And a friend of mine just returned his BMW because it was in the shop more than it was on the road. So you can always have a bad car.

My worst car was a 1964 Jaguar XKE, it had been abused and raced and not well maintained. Damn near broke me, actually had to go to work at the Jaguar shop (I was in my early 20s) just to keep it running. Horrid car but more because of the abuse than the design. I had a well maintained 1967 XKE and it was nearly bulletproof (well except for consuming fuses like they were dog treats, damn Lucas Electrics...).

Strange thing is the car I hated the most was a late 70s Toyota Celica, it actually was like a tank, nothing broke. I just hated the way it drove. Slow and wallowed through the corners.

Last edited by enderle; 06-28-2015 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Added reference
Old 06-28-2015, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

We probably need to differentiate between dealer and Jaguar. This is the same for my Maserati, dealer good, manufacturer slow!

Old 06-28-2015, 09:47 PM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

My worst car was a 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster. After spending tons of time at the dealer in 5 months - BMW Canada bought it back and replaced it with a 2006 Z4M Coupe that's doors did not align but was otherwise okay.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

while I understand the frustration, bottom line is lemons occur with every make/model. sounds like you have a lemon. knock on wood, so far no issues for me. just passed the 1 year mark last week, about 9000 miles (mostly long distance freeway miles).

Old 06-28-2015, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Another 287 wonderful miles this weekend on top of the 324 we did two weekends prior and now only need 95 to reach the 3,000 mark...I must say I love driving this car,especially long distances.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Just hit 2 months with the R. 4500 daily driven miles through this springs Texas floods. Only problem was a bubble in my tire sidewall replaced for free with the tire and wheel warranty I purchased. Next month I have a 3500 mile cross country road trip planned.

Should be over 8000 miles in the first three months of ownership. Loving every mile!

Old 06-29-2015, 01:45 AM
Default Pleased you are all happy with F Type in USA

To get it straight, my dealer is great and couldn't do more.
All the problems I've had are not figments of my imagination as implied by a senior member but genuine problems that occurred within the first 3000 miles of owning the vehicle from new. I love driving the car and it is definitely a beautiful design however in my case and hopefully it is a one off the problems I've experienced are unacceptable. Yes other cars may also give problems and I'm not interested in hearing about them particularly as this is a Jaguar forum although I do accept my heading says worst car I've ever owned but I do not mention brands. Maybe cars that are exported undergo more thorough quality control as I have heard of a fair few problems with the F Type in the UK. I do accept that other model for example the XF are reliable and loved in the country.
I would add that I thought that this was a product forum and not one that discusses whether people are truthful or not!!

Old 06-29-2015, 04:15 AM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

Sorry to hear you got a lemon, it can happen, I have had a couple over the years, but I think the evidence is against you on there being widespread reliability problems with this car.

Most of us here are very happy and only minor niggles.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

T
I would add that I thought that this was a product forum and not one that discusses whether people are truthful or not!!
It was the wording and tone of your first post, and the fact you just arrived here that caused doubts. Moreover, as I'm sure you know, the internet, including all car forums, are infested with less than credible people.

I think most everyone believes you now. As in the face-to-face world, it takes time to gain credibility.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts
Default Worst Car Ive ever owned

2001 Hyundai Elantra.

Check.

Mate.

Quick Reply: Worst Car Ive ever owned