F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worst Car Ive ever owned

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 09:46 AM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Build quality on my F Type is not all that great. I've had more rattles and squeaks than I should, and they've been fixed under warranty - if they were fixable, they should not have been there in the first place.

The build quality on my 2015 XJ seems much better.

The following users liked this post:
mawheele (06-29-2015)
Old 06-29-2015, 11:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At last
Someone who believes me,I do appreciate my first post wasn't good>Im nearly seventy and still working because I enjoy it.This car was meant to give me a last bit of motoring fun before I changed it for a Honda Jazz (joke)
It has been a real let down and so have Jaguar as a company in as much as I don't feel that they supported their dealer as they should have.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:38 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

I have experienced the rattling exhaust in an F-type loaner car. It sounded like a heat shield had worked loose, came from vicinity of the passenger side (LHD) catalytic converter.

Have also heard of shifter failure related to engaging gears while on high idle.

Personally experienced a failure in my convertible top mechanism, sounded like change rattling and sliding across the header. Eventually two spacers fell out. Quick fix at the dealer.

Also had a number of fake codes related to the battery. Dash was lighting up like a Christmas tree. Has resolved itself. Did buy a Ctek charger but have not installed it yet.

Also spent last summer waiting on repair parts hearing one made up excuse after another from corporate. Got comped a couple of payments after the fact. That car ended up an insurance write-off after three months of incredible bullshizzola from corporate and the "certified" facility. All in all, a miserable customer service experience.

The OP's credibility is not in doubt from my perspective. Having said that, I would rather hear about his problems and solutions than responding to one parting mega dump. No doubt we would all emphasize if a well- known member went through the OP's travails.

FWIW my F-Type V8s is 10x better than my prior Mercedes in terms of rattles, repeat mechanical issues, crappy interior plastics, oil leaks, body shell corrosion, poor stereo quality etc.; the F-type is far from the worst car I've ever owned.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by vaughan1948
At last
Someone who believes me,I do appreciate my first post wasn't good>Im nearly seventy and still working because I enjoy it.This car was meant to give me a last bit of motoring fun before I changed it for a Honda Jazz (joke)
It has been a real let down and so have Jaguar as a company in as much as I don't feel that they supported their dealer as they should have.
Hi, how are you. Awesome that you enjoy this the way that you do. I give you a lot of credit as this will be me as well in 10 years.

At times, there is a lot of directness on forums. I learned this over time, and as some say the directness has no personality sometimes. Social networking is nothing but words, which have meaning, however interpretations are multi-dimensional and not always correct, accurate or conveyed well.

I have always felt and proven that the "right dealer" is the secret sauce, and marrying this dealership with JLR is the optimal blend for solving issues. I read closely what you wrote at first, thought....hmmm???, then patiently read your re-post and was more understanding of what you were trying to convey.

Don't let the responses ever deter you from posting what you believe, or worst yet to feel taken back. I did, and still feel that at times the posts miss the mark with "guesses", Hypothetical ones at that, represented as factual. We need to stand diligent with the words...."in my opinion", or else source reference the statements for accuracy. This isn't always bad, but when a person has a problem and another doesn't, it serves no purpose but to state that "my car doesn't appear to have that issue", vs. "I don't believe that my car has that issue, and what you state is wrong, or should not be an issue for you". That is where I draw the line between nice/friendly posting as a Forum, and somebody taunting for effect and nothing better to do.

On balance, keep the posts coming, change your dealer and work with home office. I have found that ultimately JLR does care, despite original perception and postings. I have seen it first hand myself. Nobody should have their new toy have such issues, and you, like me, treated ourselves to an exotic, and JLR is responsible for giving one such a machine at the price we paid.

Good Luck, hope this helps and thanks for the clarifying 2nd post, it really helped.

All the best!

The following 3 users liked this post by slojotaa:
DPK (06-29-2015), mawheele (06-29-2015), vaughan1948 (06-30-2015)
Old 06-29-2015, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

The OP's credibility is no longer in doubt. He was only challenged after his first poorly worded, cryptic first post and because he just arrived here. Once he elaborated, he was no longer challenged.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

If you come and your first post is "this car sucks!!!" you will be red flagged as a troll. Imagine your first day at your new job...and you tell everybody there the company sucks! You won't be making many friends. Now, if after you've worked there for a while and have criticism, then people will listen.

This forum is generally very helpful/understanding. There was a recent member who bought a lemon. Jaguar ended up buying the car back and he ended up going to BMW (or maybe Porsche). We wished him well and fully understand why he would not buy another Jaguar.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:09 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Yes but...

Originally Posted by vaughan1948
At last
In forums like this you generally collect folks who love the related product and for a new car are focused on sharing problems and solutions. An endemic problem like the stereo gets a bit more attention but in any of these forums if you simply post that the beloved car sucks you're likely to be considered a troll because that is what they do. They enjoy pissing people off and many of us think they are sickness that needs to be eliminated.

By now you realize that your collective problems are unusual, though individually not so much. You effectively won (or lost) the problem lottery and, were I you, I'd contact Jaguar directly for resolution. There is a Jaguar troubleshooter who monitors this forum and you can find him in the Stereo thread among others (in fact I'm kind of surprised he hasn't sent you a personal message before now). He goes by Ryan@Jaguar on this forum and you should be able to PM him.

Here is that thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...estion-106935/

Good luck and sorry we thought you were a Troll.

vaughan1948 (06-30-2015)
Old 06-29-2015, 02:11 PM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by slojotaa
Hi, how are you. Awesome that you enjoy this the way that you do. I give you a lot of credit as this will be me as well in 10 years.

At times, there is a lot of directness on forums. I learned this over time, and as some say the directness has no personality sometimes. Social networking is nothing but words, which have meaning, however interpretations are multi-dimensional and not always correct, accurate or conveyed well.

I have always felt and proven that the "right dealer" is the secret sauce, and marrying this dealership with JLR is the optimal blend for solving issues. I read closely what you wrote at first, thought....hmmm???, then patiently read your re-post and was more understanding of what you were trying to convey.

Don't let the responses ever deter you from posting what you believe, or worst yet to feel taken back. I did, and still feel that at times the posts miss the mark with "guesses", Hypothetical ones at that, represented as factual. We need to stand diligent with the words...."in my opinion", or else source reference the statements for accuracy. This isn't always bad, but when a person has a problem and another doesn't, it serves no purpose but to state that "my car doesn't appear to have that issue", vs. "I don't believe that my car has that issue, and what you state is wrong, or should not be an issue for you". That is where I draw the line between nice/friendly posting as a Forum, and somebody taunting for effect and nothing better to do.

On balance, keep the posts coming, change your dealer and work with home office. I have found that ultimately JLR does care, despite original perception and postings. I have seen it first hand myself. Nobody should have their new toy have such issues, and you, like me, treated ourselves to an exotic, and JLR is responsible for giving one such a machine at the price we paid.

Good Luck, hope this helps and thanks for the clarifying 2nd post, it really helped.

All the best!
Whilst I do agree the right dealer can make a lot of difference, I would just caution walking away from the supplying retailer. In my own case, where I suffered numerous issues that remain ongoing, actually switching dealers hurt my case. Had I taken my car back on all 8 occasions to the supplying dealer for the same fault, then I would have had a much stronger case. I personally felt strongly enough to try a second dealer after a consistent track record of damage that was done to my car. The second dealer as it turned out were no better, but it really damaged my ability to formally reject the car.

In the end, I have reached a compromise with both the supplying dealer and Jaguar, but it was a hard war and in some respects nobody won.

slojotaa (06-30-2015)
Old 06-29-2015, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

My 13 year old E46 330ci has no rattles after 165k miles, despite indifferent servicing for half that mileage over a 10 year period.

There are kiddy footprints in the backs of both front seats, booster seat marks on the rear seat leather, stiletto heel-holes in the carpet of the centre tunnel, and badly worn doorcards and other interior trim.

The radio-cassette and cd autochanger both work as intended, but the sound quality even with about 10 speakers is not great. Which - frankly - is what I would expect in a car...

vaughan1948 (06-30-2015)
Old 06-29-2015, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by mawheele
In the end, I have reached a compromise with both the supplying dealer and Jaguar, but it was a hard war and in some respects nobody won.
I may be mistaken, but over the past few months I've gotten the impression that customer satisfaction with Jags and/dealers is more problematic in the UK than the U.S.

vaughan1948 (06-30-2015)
Old 06-29-2015, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member

I think that's pretty clear. 9 out of 10 US dealers seem to bend over backwards to keep F-Type owners happy. I know mine did when I showed the GM at my dealer the 4 holes they drilled in my front bumper bar for a license plate bracket when only 2 were necessary. He didn't even hesitate offering to fix it free of charge.

vaughan1948 (06-30-2015)
Old 06-30-2015, 08:10 AM
Default Its a no go

Well,I spoke yet again to Jaguar UK and they have agreed to increase the warranty to four years.
As for changing the car they refuse saying that if I have problems again it will be repaired by a dealer.
Yes its a great car to drive and yes its looks fantastic but unfortunately it can't be relied on not to give me trouble again.Its a lemon or a Friday car as we call it but Jaguar are not prepared to put their hands in their pockets and replace it despite the low mileage and continuing problems.If the car had been reliable I would be raving about it as I did my Audi as I appreciate good quality and service.
I won't bore you all anymore and probably won't come on here again as am considering exchanging for an Audi R8

Old 06-30-2015, 07:48 PM

R8 is a decent car, it was my second choice. Issue for me is it is too much of an exotic. I'd be afraid to park it anyplace, easy to ding, really hard to fix. But I love driving them and they new twin clutch auto is sooo much better than the old single clutch piece of ****. I think it is due for a refresh so you should be able to get a good deal as they sell down inventory, but it's Audi so "good deal" is relative. Good luck!

Old 06-30-2015, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

oops, wrong page - ignore this

Old 06-30-2015, 08:49 PM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I myself have had problems with my jag, but not going overboard with trying to get things done fast, and today I recieved a new jag(2015) 500 miles, for my old jag (2014) 20000, yes that is 20 thousand miles, they about traded me out, except I recieved about a fully loaded one for my not so loaded.
I can understand frustration, but I'm still in shock, Jag, the dealer, and his manager has gone the ultimate distance for a customer and I'm here to tell the story.
You can look at my posts the last 6-9 months, but today was a gift.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying you received a fully-loaded 15 with 500 or so miles for a base 14 with 20K miles for no extra money?

I'd say that would be one hell of a gift.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:12 AM

Wow, now that's a story.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:35 PM

I can't find to message Ryan@Jaguar...... can anyone help?
Lovely day here in UK temps at 90f plus, drove to the coast, parked car and when ready to drive home car took ages to start.... because I'm not giving in on this I took the trouble to get two witnesses names etc because I'm even starting to doubt myself as can't believe I've had so many problems.... car did start in the end and was fine after that. I love it but embarrassing when things like that happen. Maybe Ryan can put a word in to Jaguar UK although their attitude here, I think , is different to Jaguar USA

Old 07-01-2015, 07:05 PM

You're right he is US (and his actual name is Mike). But if you go to the thread I showcased on the Sound System you'll find him on page two and you can click on the Ryan name and you'll get a pop up that let's you send a PM. Give it a shot, but I do know that Jag US and Jag UK are different groups but he may be able to help.