F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worst sounding stereo ever

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worst sounding stereo ever

So I just leased a 17' F-Type R and the Meridian system is horrendous. The bass is muffled/distorted and rattles like crazy, especially at lower volumes. I took it back to the dealership today and they said it sounds great!!!!!!! Although they did "update" something with the amplifier software. If you turn the sub all the way down it sounds clear but obviously no bass. Any advice??? I have read through and see this is not an isolated issue. We have other vehicles with a separate sub from the factory and the bass hits crisp and clear. Thanks for the help

Old 01-25-2018, 07:48 PM
Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts

Search. See the thread titled: "Wow Jaguar....Stereo all fixed finally!!". There was a post in it just 18 hours ago. You need the update. Night and day difference.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:50 PM
Received 317 Likes on 243 Posts

There is a tech bulletin, but is only applicable to systems rated at 700 watt systems on coupes. It has to do with buzzing sound from tweeter, reconfigure Amplifier Module.

Have you checked your stereo settings, these may have been changed when module was reconfigured.

It may be possible that the previous issue you had may have caused damage to the sub?

If any of the above has proven not to solve the issue then best port of call would be to contact the dealer back and say that the issue is not resolved. Ask to compare to another F-Type with same system and try to point out the difference. At this point they should file a TA ( technical assistance ) and get the engineers involved.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by 15FTypeR
Search. See the thread titled: "Wow Jaguar....Stereo all fixed finally!!". There was a post in it just 18 hours ago. You need the update. Night and day difference.
Yes I read this thread and the dealership did the update today but there was zero change.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:43 PM
Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts

Well it's not an amazing system, to be honest. I have a $700 (total) aftermarket system in my hyundai that sounds better. there should not be "no difference" though, so perhaps they didn't do something right?

Old 01-25-2018, 08:53 PM

I just looked at the work order from the dealer today and they did:
Part # T2R12664
Configure amplifier module

Maybe the sub is blown.

On another note, is there just a dynamic mode or a sport mode also?

Thanks

Old 01-25-2018, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

They probably didn't apply the TSB fix. Just did something else that didn't work. Take the TSB notice with you for the exact procedure.

The following users liked this post:
slojotaa (01-25-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Nati
They probably didn't apply the TSB fix. Just did something else that didn't work. Take the TSB notice with you for the exact procedure.
Ok, I am definitely going to bring it in
Thanks

Old 01-25-2018, 09:20 PM
Received 317 Likes on 243 Posts

It's either the update didn't go through correctly, or there is damage to the sub. There's many things that can affect software updates, if the battery support unit fails, or power outage while programming, etc.

I had one last year where the server in the UK went down while programming as it was trying to access the files. Caused the touch screen in a Range Rover Evoque with InControl Touch Pro to lock up, and module had to be replaced.

Sometimes things happen that are out of our control.... But since your radio is still working, as I stated, contact the dealer and tell them it isn't resolved. Otherwise they will think it is until you call them.

The following users liked this post:
slojotaa (01-25-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
+1. All they did was replace the antenna amplifier (T2R12664) above the headliner near the antenna.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by JBzXJ40
There is a tech bulletin, but is only applicable to systems rated at 700 watt systems on coupes. It has to do with buzzing sound from tweeter, reconfigure Amplifier Module.

Have you checked your stereo settings, these may have been changed when module was reconfigured.

It may be possible that the previous issue you had may have caused damage to the sub?

If any of the above has proven not to solve the issue then best port of call would be to contact the dealer back and say that the issue is not resolved. Ask to compare to another F-Type with same system and try to point out the difference. At this point they should file a TA ( technical assistance ) and get the engineers involved.
Hi JB:
Just to clarify, I started this thread a longggggg time ago, and it is applicable to Convertibles also. Mine is a R/Convertible, and it did the trick so well that I had to say...."Wow........". Good Luck, and just want to set the record straight.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by brian18332
Yes I read this thread and the dealership did the update today but there was zero change.
Hey Brian, if this is the case.....the "Screwed it up". I would check with another dealer as the fix is proven to be excellent vs. the prior state....! Seriously, something is grossly wrong if they say they did this and it still sounds like crap. Not possible if done right.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:33 PM
Received 199 Likes on 106 Posts

It's not the setting to the system, it's just a crap Meridian System! i have never heard something so bad, mash together highs and lows becomes un-hearable (did i discover a new word?) mashed potatoes vs. baked potato!

Just don't know why Jaguar does not get a good system in their cars, even descent would be better than what is there! I agree it is terrible quality!

i am as i type this, having a upgraded system installed in my f type Jag.

granted i like quality sound and am willing to spend for it. am going with two Jl HD amps, 6 channel 750 watt for 3 way audio frog audiophile front speakers with audio frog crossovers for mid and tweeters and mono 750 watt for 2 woofers behind seats, cannot go any bigger for woofers, Mo bridge factory pre amp with processor and sound equalizer, custom install, also adding front rear and side mirror cameras with rear blind spot detectors, laser jammers, the whole shebang, even heated seats (mine did not come with) taking a month to get done.

install will look better than factory, no rattling also adding sound deadening material throughout doors and trunk space all metal covered. not a inch of trunk space is being used for sound system.

i will follow up with pictures of install when finished. will be great. all audiophile quality equipment! expensive yes, worth it, most definitely!! :-)
This all being said, i LOVE my Jaguar F-Type, but i will LOVE even more!!!

Kind regards, remember drive safe,
Mitchell

Last edited by vettegood; 01-26-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:30 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

look forward to the pics. Some of the mods and upgrades your doing I am planning on doing also

Old 01-26-2018, 09:11 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,111 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Originally Posted by brian18332
On another note, is there just a dynamic mode or a sport mode also?
Dynamic: move the switch to Dynamic
Sport: Move the shifter to the left to enable sport mode
D+S: Do both

I have my paddles set so they only shift in sport mode. I normally drive in dynamic, and when I want manual mode, I throw it in D+S. Never seen the point of Sport on its own.