F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worst time of year to sell, but...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2023, 11:09 AM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Worst time of year to sell, but...

I've spotted a Vantage I'm interested in. Has anyone done an actual analysis of how big a price difference there is in cars like this between the middle of winter and spring/summer? There does seem to be one, at least here in the northeast.

Since I don't want to keep both cars, that likely means I'll have to trade in the F-Type, which means that CPO warranty goes poof. Unless there's someone in the NYC area actively looking for a 2018 Metallic Black F-Type R (all options except CC Brakes) with 16,000 miles. You would not only get a really good car, you would have the satisfaction of knowing you pushed me over the edge to spending even more money on a car.

Old 01-14-2023, 11:37 AM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

It's the best time of year to sell in South Florida! Maybe advertise there, and offer transport.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (02-05-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 12:49 PM

True. I see all sorts of cars popping up for sale in Florida, but I'm really worried about how many of those cars got caught in the floods. So if I was in Florida I'd be looking for a car from elsewhere.

Old 01-14-2023, 01:31 PM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
True. I see all sorts of cars popping up for sale in Florida, but I'm really worried about how many of those cars got caught in the floods. So if I was in Florida I'd be looking for a car from elsewhere.
Not too many flood cars around, as a great many are sold for parts. People tend to flee hurricanes. Salt water hurricane flood cars are often scrap (physical and flood damage) The inland flooding was due to rain, and easy to escape by simply getting on the highway and driving a few miles. Anyway, your perfect car from a non flood situation is a selling point!!

Last edited by cujet; 01-14-2023 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-14-2023, 02:27 PM
Received 190 Likes on 120 Posts

Spring makes a lot more sense for all kinds of reasons [especially this year]. If the FED bails and starts lowering interest rates, the stock/bond markets should rip again which [in theory] will be good for the value of/market for our cars. Right now, the market for most things is not so wonderful.

Having said that, you only need to find one person who wants an F Type just like yours [and they might be out there now]. Price it fairly, advertise it nationally, then hope for the best.

Old 01-14-2023, 03:30 PM
Received 440 Likes on 236 Posts

I've spotted a Vantage I'm interested in. Has anyone done an actual analysis of how big a price difference there is in cars like this between the middle of winter and spring/summer? There does seem to be one, at least here in the northeast.

Since I don't want to keep both cars, that likely means I'll have to trade in the F-Type, which means that CPO warranty goes poof. Unless there's someone in the NYC area actively looking for a 2018 Metallic Black F-Type R (all options except CC Brakes) with 16,000 miles. You would not only get a really good car, you would have the satisfaction of knowing you pushed me over the edge to spending even more money on a car.
I just traded in my '18 F-Type CPO convertible this past November and did just fine on the trade, even though winter is supposed to be the worst time to sell a convertible. The car lasted 12 days on the dealer lot before it was sold again. Plus, if yours is a CPO warranty it is transferable, which dealers will be more interested in because they can resell the car with the balance of the CPO warranty but they don't have to pay for the whole CPO process through JLR. So the CPO will add some value to the vehicle now.

Old 01-15-2023, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Thunder Dump
I just traded in my '18 F-Type CPO convertible this past November and did just fine on the trade, even though winter is supposed to be the worst time to sell a convertible. The car lasted 12 days on the dealer lot before it was sold again. Plus, if yours is a CPO warranty it is transferable, which dealers will be more interested in because they can resell the car with the balance of the CPO warranty but they don't have to pay for the whole CPO process through JLR. So the CPO will add some value to the vehicle now.
I thought if the car goes back to a dealer the CPO disappeared and that it could only get transferred if I sold the car privately. Perhaps JLR does things differently than others.

Old 01-16-2023, 12:09 AM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I thought if the car goes back to a dealer the CPO disappeared and that it could only get transferred if I sold the car privately. Perhaps JLR does things differently than others.
I bought my 16R from a non-Jag dealership, was told it didn't have a warranty and bought a 3rd party warranty. In checking with my local Jag dealership, and JLR NA, both parties confirmed that the CPO was intact, and would be honored. I actually took advantage of it when the coolant pipe threatened to bite me in the ***. I am actually waiting for it to expire in Feb before I install the VAP goodies I have waiting for me. I would call JLR NA, confirm when the CPO ends, and that it is maintained through private or dealership sales. If they confirm it is so, that likely raises the price you can demand.

GLWS

Old 01-16-2023, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jamal302
I bought my 16R from a non-Jag dealership, was told it didn't have a warranty and bought a 3rd party warranty. In checking with my local Jag dealership, and JLR NA, both parties confirmed that the CPO was intact, and would be honored. I actually took advantage of it when the coolant pipe threatened to bite me in the ***. I am actually waiting for it to expire in Feb before I install the VAP goodies I have waiting for me. I would call JLR NA, confirm when the CPO ends, and that it is maintained through private or dealership sales. If they confirm it is so, that likely raises the price you can demand.

GLWS
Good to know. Amazing how bad JLR is as communicating things like this. For example, I found out that there are multiple version of the CPO warranty, which the dealer chooses when they buy it, I'm guess depending upon how much they want to spend. So the CPO warranty could be 1 year/100k, 1 year/unlimited, or 2 year/100k. So when buying a car where the dealer is adding the CPO, make sure to ask which they are buying and possible include that in the negotiation.

Old 01-16-2023, 01:31 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Good to know. Amazing how bad JLR is as communicating things like this. For example, I found out that there are multiple version of the CPO warranty, which the dealer chooses when they buy it, I'm guess depending upon how much they want to spend. So the CPO warranty could be 1 year/100k, 1 year/unlimited, or 2 year/100k. So when buying a car where the dealer is adding the CPO, make sure to ask which they are buying and possible include that in the negotiation.
Yeah, they don't make it easy to sort out. My father's 18 400 Sport CPO has a warranty ending this Sept, and I mentioned my 16 R has a warranty ending in Feb. I asked my local Jag dealer whether it were possible to extend the warranty on the 18 but they haven't been particularly helpful or insightful. I believe the warranty on both is good to 100K miles, but I think they both are at about 50K on the clock now.

Old 01-16-2023, 02:07 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamal302
Yeah, they don't make it easy to sort out. My father's 18 400 Sport CPO has a warranty ending this Sept, and I mentioned my 16 R has a warranty ending in Feb. I asked my local Jag dealer whether it were possible to extend the warranty on the 18 but they haven't been particularly helpful or insightful. I believe the warranty on both is good to 100K miles, but I think they both are at about 50K on the clock now.
In the UK you get snail-mailed to renew when the warranty is about to expire.

The following users liked this post:
Jamal302 (01-16-2023)
Old 01-19-2023, 07:42 PM
Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

completely false.

jaguar are now only offering 1 year unlimited, which by default any CPO unless stated otherwise will be the one included. If you wish to add an additional year, that is up to you. You are provided a paper to sign stating the in-service date (warranty start date) original 5 year/60k warranty expiration date, and the new CPO end date. No other brand is different and no other brand is going to offer you the maximum warranty, especially at no additional cost to you. Prior to the change the 1 year and 2 year options were both 100k cap, it’s not dealers choice and there are now only 2 options.

Old 01-19-2023, 07:58 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyM
completely false.

jaguar are now only offering 1 year unlimited, which by default any CPO unless stated otherwise will be the one included. If you wish to add an additional year, that is up to you. You are provided a paper to sign stating the in-service date (warranty start date) original 5 year/60k warranty expiration date, and the new CPO end date. No other brand is different and no other brand is going to offer you the maximum warranty, especially at no additional cost to you. Prior to the change the 1 year and 2 year options were both 100k cap, it’s not dealers choice and there are now only 2 options.
I don’t know if what you meant to say is “no other brand is different” but CPO programs between brands are wildly different. Audi is 2 year 50,000 miles just to name one. I might have misunderstood what you were saying but many brands have a set CPO program with no sliding scale.

Old 01-19-2023, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by DNAer
I don’t know if what you meant to say is “no other brand is different” but CPO programs between brands are wildly different. Audi is 2 year 50,000 miles just to name one. I might have misunderstood what you were saying but many brands have a set CPO program with no sliding scale.

it was stated relatively clearly, not sure what was misconstrued. Thanks for the 1 brand example, but even then their warranty is equivalent in terms of total time (6 years) and limited on the mileage. Also this seems to be a relatively recent change, and was not available when I owned my previous S5. Seems like it was implemented summer of last year, and prior they had a similar approach where by default it was 1 year (12k additional miles) and additional years could be purchased. You’re simply wrong, didn’t read or understand what you were signing and that’s also ok, but you should be given clear documentation on when your original warranty started and when your new CPO warranty will end upon signing.

https://www.audibeverlyhills.com/aud...y-coverage.htm

for reference as most Audi sites still reflect their previous warranty model.

edit
to be fair I will not include all brands, but simplify it to premium luxury brands as you may be right with less boutique/high volume makes.

Last edited by JonnyM; 01-19-2023 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-20-2023, 09:55 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Acura 2 year 100,000 miles, Lexus 2 year unlimited miles, Maserati 2 years unlimited miles, Polestar 2 years unlimited miles, Porsche 2 years unlimited miles, most all other brands are 1 yr and various amount of miles….all CPO programs are not the same. Google CPO programs if you would like to learn more.

Old 01-20-2023, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

No sure I undertand the argument here but the JLR CPO is outlined below.
https://www.jaguarusa.com/certified-preowned/index.html
The wording suggests it is not as comprehensive in coverage as the new car 5-year warranty, but perhaps I am just suspicious!!

Old 01-20-2023, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
No sure I undertand the argument here but the JLR CPO is outlined below.
https://www.jaguarusa.com/certified-preowned/index.html
The wording suggests it is not as comprehensive in coverage as the new car 5-year warranty, but perhaps I am just suspicious!!
It's seems close, but not the same as the original warranty. That page also indicates it could be 2 years 100k miles OR 1 year unlimited. As it turns out there is also a 1 year 100k miles option too, or at least there used to be. And apparently its not obvious which you get because the person I talked to at Jaguar had to look it up to see what was purchased for the specific car.

And, as others mentioned, CPO programs differ wildly between brands. Some are almost meaningless.

Old 01-20-2023, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by DNAer
Acura 2 year 100,000 miles, Lexus 2 year unlimited miles, Maserati 2 years unlimited miles, Polestar 2 years unlimited miles, Porsche 2 years unlimited miles, most all other brands are 1 yr and various amount of miles….all CPO programs are not the same. Google CPO programs if you would like to learn more.
Maserati’s wording is “up to 2 years.” Which is same as Jaguars. I can guarantee you any CPO car that wasn’t traded in or sold to the dealer with a preexisting 2 year CPO will only come with the 1 year option at their listed selling price and if you so choose you can purchase the full 2 years. Again, Porsche is a year and 10k less warranty at new, so jaguars 1 year extension makes them equal. You also have the option to extend the Porsche warranty by another a year at a cost. Not sure what else to say if you simply can’t accept that most manufacturers aren’t going to give you their best warranty first, and offer no additional ways to turn a profit, and that’s not the same as saying they’re all the same. What I’m saying is simply every company has a similar business model in that they’re not going to offer 1 CPO warranty and only 1. Nothing to do with length and mileage, speaking strictly from the business standpoint. Your initial post made it seem as if Jaguar was trying to be deceitful in their offerings, but most manufactures do it similarly. Hopefully that gives you more context.

Old 01-20-2023, 01:01 PM
Received 440 Likes on 236 Posts

When I bought my '18, it was a CPO car that came with the 1 additional year and up to 100K miles (but there are more limitations in the CPO warranty vs factory). I had the option to buy the second year (same mileage) and that price was negotiable through the dealer, like any extended warranty.

Old 01-20-2023, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

Has any F-Type - ever- made it to 100K miles - with or without CPO?

Quick Reply: Worst time of year to sell, but...