F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worst time of year to sell, but...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2023, 02:01 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyM
Maserati’s wording is “up to 2 years.” Which is same as Jaguars. I can guarantee you any CPO car that wasn’t traded in or sold to the dealer with a preexisting 2 year CPO will only come with the 1 year option at their listed selling price and if you so choose you can purchase the full 2 years. Again, Porsche is a year and 10k less warranty at new, so jaguars 1 year extension makes them equal. You also have the option to extend the Porsche warranty by another a year at a cost. Not sure what else to say if you simply can’t accept that most manufacturers aren’t going to give you their best warranty first, and offer no additional ways to turn a profit, and that’s not the same as saying they’re all the same. What I’m saying is simply every company has a similar business model in that they’re not going to offer 1 CPO warranty and only 1. Nothing to do with length and mileage, speaking strictly from the business standpoint. Your initial post made it seem as if Jaguar was trying to be deceitful in their offerings, but most manufactures do it similarly. Hopefully that gives you more context.

Old 01-20-2023, 02:42 PM
Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DNAer

I don’t know what you’re arguing right now. Truly. Scroll your page down, it’s clear as day.

you win, you’re right.

Old 01-21-2023, 10:58 AM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

No, I think we all lose because we end up paying for these CPOs in one way or another, not really knowing what we are getting, and likely not getting much out of them.

Old 01-21-2023, 12:24 PM
Received 190 Likes on 120 Posts

Seems to me that an extended warranty is a fear-based product [like much of insurance]. A great service would be a company that would keep numbers on what issues each car manufactured has over time. This would make it MUCH easier to assess reliability and whether it would make sense to seek extended coverage.

For instance, if you knew that the transmission is going to fail 80% of the time on that prized Yugo 55 in your garage, perhaps you might have thought twice before plunking down $150. for it!

Seriously, think about how little information car buyers have when attempting to assess reliability. It's why extended warranties have such a bad rep when the decision to purchase coverage should be based on risk alone [through knowing the percentage of component failure over mileage/time].

Old 01-21-2023, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

I will say that the standard 5 year warranty including services was definitely an influencing factor in my original purchase.

The following users liked this post:
F-Type Wannabe (02-23-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 12:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you wish to add an additional year, that is up to you. You are provided a paper to sign stating the in-service date (warranty start date) original 5 year/60k warranty expiration date, and the new CPO end date.

Old 01-24-2023, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by ermandadana
If you wish to add an additional year, that is up to you. You are provided a paper to sign stating the in-service date (warranty start date) original 5 year/60k warranty expiration date, and the new CPO end date.
Not for nothing, but given that dealers will try to sell you just about anything extra with the car, if there was an additional option for the CPO that I could buy, they would have offered it. They did not. Thus I figured there was only one CPO option, which the car had.

Also, paperwork varies by state. There was no special CPO paperwork here in NJ, only a form indicating that the warranty was from the factory and not provided by the dealership (or "as-is").

Old 01-24-2023, 04:17 PM
Received 440 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
Not for nothing, but given that dealers will try to sell you just about anything extra with the car, if there was an additional option for the CPO that I could buy, they would have offered it.
Surprisingly, my dealer also did not offer the additional year of CPO when I bought the car. I asked about it and the finance person advised it was an option and gave me a price. I negotiated that price down, and we agreed and I added to the purchase. So not all dealers offer it up automatically at the time of sale.

Old 01-25-2023, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Thunder Dump
Surprisingly, my dealer also did not offer the additional year of CPO when I bought the car. I asked about it and the finance person advised it was an option and gave me a price. I negotiated that price down, and we agreed and I added to the purchase. So not all dealers offer it up automatically at the time of sale.
Then good that you asked. Go figure these dealers.

Funny part was the thing that started this whole thread was me finding a couple of cars that I was interested in buying, and thus selling the F-Type. But I've been dumbfounded by these dealers right now. Half of them still think its 2021 and they can do and charge whatever they want, and the other half are trying everything possible to make the real prices higher than the lower prices they now have to advertise. It's getting annoying.

Old 01-25-2023, 03:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not for nothing, but given that dealers will try to sell you just about anything extra with the car, if there was an additional option for the CPO that I could buy, they would have offered it. They did not. Thus I figured there was only one CPO option, which the car had.

Also, paperwork varies by state. There was no special CPO paperwork here in NJ, only a form indicating that the warranty was from the factory and not provided by the dealership (or "as-is").
ooo that good

Old 01-26-2023, 12:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Then good that you asked. Go figure these dealers.

Funny part was the thing that started this whole thread was me finding a couple of cars that I was interested in buying, and thus selling the F-Type. But I've been dumbfounded by these dealers right now. Half of them still think its 2021 and they can do and charge whatever they want, and the other half are trying everything possible to make the real prices higher than the lower prices they now have to advertise. It's getting annoying.
So for anyone who has actually bought recently - what is pricing like in reality? At sticker? Discount to sticker (how much)?

Old 02-04-2023, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by BritCars
So for anyone who has actually bought recently - what is pricing like in reality? At sticker? Discount to sticker (how much)?

anyone who is looking to get into an F Type feel free to reach out. I’m at a dealer in NY and we have a couple I could potentially convince my manager to do at MSRP for forum members (we have a couple of Rs and R Dynamics).

Old 02-04-2023, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by JonnyM
anyone who is looking to get into an F Type feel free to reach out. I’m at a dealer in NY and we have a couple I could potentially convince my manager to do at MSRP for forum members (we have a couple of Rs and R Dynamics).
Convince? I just bought a '23 F-Type in November 2022 and I paid under MSRP without any trouble. Additionally, other dealers were quoting at or below MSRP. If your dealership is still pricing above MSRP you're about 6 months behind the rest of the world.

Old 02-04-2023, 05:13 PM

Duplicate post

Last edited by Thunder Dump; 02-04-2023 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Duplicate Post
Old 02-04-2023, 07:43 PM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

... Funny part was the thing that started this whole thread was me finding a couple of cars that I was interested in buying, and thus selling the F-Type. But I've been dumbfounded by these dealers right now. Half of them still think its 2021 and they can do and charge whatever they want, and the other half are trying everything possible to make the real prices higher than the lower prices they now have to advertise. It's getting annoying.
Besides simple greed, it may well be that they paid a high trade-in price on the cars back when things were nuts, and figure they "cannot take a loss." Reality could care less what they think, but it's on potential buyers to hold them to that.

Last edited by kb58; 02-04-2023 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-04-2023, 09:55 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

been curious about this as well. i'll sell my v6 for a fair price, need a truck in recent times and as far as all my digging has found prices are in fact coming down, slowly. the real reasons why prices were up to begin with aren't gonna be rectified quickly =P you guys should all take this stuff into account in your decision-making =)

Old 02-05-2023, 10:36 AM

Convince? I just bought a '23 F-Type in November 2022 and I paid under MSRP without any trouble. Additionally, other dealers were quoting at or below MSRP. If your dealership is still pricing above MSRP you're about 6 months behind the rest of the world.
Yes, I've noticed a lot of dealers are refusing to accept reality.

Old 02-05-2023, 06:11 PM

considering they’re allocating only 1 2024 model to the dealers, yes unfortunately there are still markups, albeit not as great as they used to be.

was just trying to help out anyone looking for a car. Appreciate the constructive criticism though

Old 02-05-2023, 07:42 PM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

I just saw a brand new Mercedes on a lot, and it had a "$5000 market adjustment" on the price list, upwards, of course. They're still living in Fantasy Land.

Old 02-06-2023, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

And here in Boston the JLR dealer has two new F-Types with $6000 discount to MSRP listed on their website. Not sure if that's a dealer incentive but seems to reinforce that pricing is a bit all over the place at the moment as the market readjusts...
Including a P450 R-Dynamic vert in BRG over tan. Looks nice!

Quick Reply: Worst time of year to sell, but...