F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worth Buying?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 06:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worth Buying?

Hello, I'm new here and I have a question about the F Type. People say that its like buying a boat, in the sense that the first year you have it you take it out 10 times during the year and 4 times the next year until eventually you don't take it out at all. I test drove the F type and I absolutely loved it! I also think that if I owned it i would be afraid to take it anywhere for fear of damaging it. So i'm in a dilemma: If I buy the F type, Will the thrill eventually be lost and the money wasted? I would like to hear from owners why they bought em and if it becomes less fun if you own one.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:54 AM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

I've only had it for a few months, so we can wait for another member to respond. Meanwhile:
If you're spending all what you've allotted for transportation on this car, I wouldn't recommend it. It just isn't practical as your only decent car. Otherwise, I think it's excellent. It drives so well that you'll probably drive it at every opportunity. Your other cars will just be there to remind you how fast, tight, responsive, and attractive your f type is!
Ninja edit: And yeah, location matters! It's a pain when I can't drive it somewhere due to bad parking spots or evil key monsters. If you can manage the risk though, it's a nice feeling walking over to your f type after a big meal or long meeting.

Last edited by hardwired; 11-25-2014 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:10 AM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by FeffThaip
Hello, I'm new here and I have a question about the F Type. People say that its like buying a boat, in the sense that the first year you have it you take it out 10 times during the year and 4 times the next year until eventually you don't take it out at all. I test drove the F type and I absolutely loved it! I also think that if I owned it i would be afraid to take it anywhere for fear of damaging it. So i'm in a dilemma: If I buy the F type, Will the thrill eventually be lost and the money wasted? I would like to hear from owners why they bought em and if it becomes less fun if you own one.
To me the question is whether you are over stretching by buying this car?

For instance some people feel the same way about buying a new Honda Accord because it's a big ticket item for them relative to buying say a 5 year old one.

Bottom line **** happens. No point living life worrying about the sky falling on your head. It's just a car. It can be fixed.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 411 Posts

You should absolutely buy the car if you love it. If you stop driving it for fear of damaging it, that's a problem with you, not the car. At that point its basically saying you can't buy any nice car.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:28 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
Bottom line **** happens. No point living life worrying about the sky falling on your head. It's just a car. It can be fixed.

Amen. Over 15,000 miles on mine, and going into winter storage this weekend. Mine is a daily driver when it isn't raining, and when it isn't in winter storage. I do a 2,000 mile round-trip each summer to the Midwest. I don't leave it in the garage so I don't put miles on it - I put miles on it, and love doing it.

Happens to be 60 degrees here in New England today, so I put the top down, and took the extra-long way into work this morning. I'm going to miss it for the next 4 months, but it isn't the right car for a New England winter (10" of snow due tomorrow).

Old 11-25-2014, 09:35 AM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

This car is a toy, and so you should only be buying one if money is definitely not an issue. For you money is an issue and so you should do yourself a favor and spend your funds on more useful and necessary expenses.

Just close this forum, and do not look back.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

"...We pass this way but once..."

So buy a second car that doesn't owe you much but is still fun to drive and use that for the shopping run.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:05 PM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

This car could be a museum piece if you wanted it to be, but lease it and drive the hell out of it because it is too much fun to let sit and worry about. I have other vehicles I can drive when I need something more practical than the F-Type, but it is my daily driver and I use it the way Jaguar intended it to be. My problem is with work and traveling I cannot drive it enough.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 861 Posts

Don't listen to me as someone who has almost always followed their heart - money or time (usually both) be damned. This isn't a decision anyone here can make for you and you will just have to discover, on your own, what your heart says. Put another way:

This above all, to thine own self be true - Shakespeare.

Carpe diem!

P.S. [re] your question about it becoming less fun...many things in life (often material possessions) lose a certain luster after "x" period of time. Having said that, and from someone who has owned several nice cars over the years, driving a wonderful car - for me - NEVER LOSES ITS APPEAL, LUSTER, OR ENJOYMENT (a.k.a. FUN).

Last edited by RickyJay52; 11-25-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Another nearly daily driver here, except for the worst type of weather conditions. If you can't get over that fear, don't buy the car. It's an extremely comfortable and capable daily-driver, and mine has been flawless in terms of reliability.

It is not "just a toy," unless your mind turns it into one. As for the thrill being gone, that could happen years down the road, but as for now, with about 150 days of driving to and from work (50-mile roundtrip), and most all errands not involving lots of cargo, I am thrilled by it every day.

BTW, it does wash well and easily, and always looks as good as new.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-26-2014 at 09:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Polarwhite (11-28-2014)
Old 11-26-2014, 07:46 PM
cjp
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I do about 50% of my miles in the F-type, and would do more, but it only seats two, and most of my long road trips involve 3 or more people. Mine goes through the car wash, and I replaced the windshield when it got a stone chip, and fixed the wheels when it got curb rash. It is not a museum piece. "A car is to drive!"

Last edited by cjp; 11-26-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 214 Likes on 191 Posts

I drive my car every day. Winter not an issue. If it gets damaged I'd be angry and then get it fixed. It's a piece of machinery not a person. It's not a classic where every mile counts nor a Ferrari where if you dare drive it you can't sell it. It's not a complicated car to drive like an Adventador. I plan to keep it 2 years, put 15000 on it and move on.

The following 2 users liked this post by bjg625:
Foosh (11-26-2014), shift (11-26-2014)