F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it worth it and would you do it again?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 11:00 AM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Is it worth it and would you do it again?

I'm really needing some feedback from you all...Especially those who have the new facelifted F-Types.

I have a dilemma and I've been driving myself crazy trying to figure out the best path to take. I'll make it as short as possible:

I placed a deposit for a Lotus Emira in July after I stupidly sold my 911. I am approximately #50 on the allocation list. The dealer feels I have a good chance of getting a First Edition, but who knows as Lotus has been less than informative with this entire launch. As it is, it's looking like a late 2022 car if I do get an FE. Because I was unsure if I was even going to get an allocation, I placed a deposit down on the only other car (minus another Porsche) that I am remotely interested in: The F-type.
I've always shied away from the F-type due to reliability concerns. Some of these concerns seem to be over blown, but I do know many of you '21 owners have already had some gremlins.
It appears JLR has increased the base price of the R by $2k since I put my deposit down, which would make my build about $116k (~$123k with tax assuming no rebates) by the time all's said and done.
My plan was to get the F-type, drive it for a year or two and then trade it for the Emira. But... Then there's the depreciation devil. I'm guessing I'd lose around $30k or more on trade-in. On top of that, the car will be missing two standard options due to the chip shortage (keyless entry and power tailgate).

My question is... Is the $123k price tag worth it? Would you do it again if you had the choice? I've already gotten feedback from one forum member who said they weren't sure they'd do it again and they may have just waited for the new Z06 instead.

I realize nobody can make this decision for me and that's not what I'm asking. I'm just trying to figure out if paying that kind of price is out of line or if the experience is completely worth it from those who currently have the car. I have considered getting a used F-type as well, but honestly, the used ones aren't that much less and then there's that amazing warranty that comes with the new ones.
If I get the F-type, I'd postpone my Emira allocation for a '24 car.

Anyway, I welcome all feedback! TIA!

Last edited by Fireze22; 11-16-2021 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:12 AM
Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

I wouldn't buy a new one with the plan on trading it in after only two years. Get a good used one if your plan is short term.
I purchased a 2017 R with 39K miles (currently at 45K), in perfect condition, with an extra year of CPO for $50K, 10 months ago. It stickered at $118K new.
Of course, I plan on keeping this one as long as she will drive!

The following 6 users liked this post by SonofGaladriel:
Cluck (11-16-2021), enderle (11-25-2021), Fireze22 (11-17-2021), KalamazooJag (11-16-2021), Nodnarb (11-16-2021), VroomForTwo (11-22-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-16-2021, 11:22 AM
Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

I would also say go w/ a used F-Type w/ a warranty as you would reduce your depreciation hit (unless you are ok with that). then hopefully new car bugs will be found and worked out w/ the emira in the first 2 years. my plan is to revisit the emira in 3 years as it's definitely a car that's on my radar in the future.

The following 2 users liked this post by Craaaazzy:
Fireze22 (11-17-2021), Nodnarb (11-16-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 11:24 AM
Received 94 Likes on 52 Posts

Totally agree with SonofGaladriel. I did buy a brand new 2022 F-Type R, ordered it EXACTLY how I wanted it and was willing to pay the (steep) price for it. BUT, I plan on keeping it until I assume room temp. Long term absolutely worth the price...to me. Short-term, I would not have done it.

The following 3 users liked this post by KalamazooJag:
Burt Gummer (11-16-2021), Fireze22 (11-17-2021), Nodnarb (11-16-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 11:36 AM

I am really not interested in the older F-Types, and again, I've seen some used '21's pop up, but they aren't that much less than the new one due to the crazy market. For instance, I know of a '17 black SVR and the dealer is asking $90k.
And there is just something about ordering a car exactly how you want it, ya know? I also like the new tech the new ones come with.

But everything you all say makes sense. Ugh... I have been making myself crazy with this decision. I got a mini Cooper to drive in the meantime and I love it! But I'm just not sure it's enough to keep me happy for the next year or two while I wait for the Emira.

​​​

Old 11-16-2021, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

I could not justify buying a new car with the plan of unloading it in 1-2 years. It would be flushing at least $30k down the toilet and possibly more. I bought my car with the intention of keeping it until I can no longer drive, then moving it into the living room.

The following 4 users liked this post by eeeeek:
Cluck (11-16-2021), ferrral (11-18-2021), Fireze22 (11-17-2021), Thunder Dump (11-16-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 11:54 AM
Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by eeeeek
I bought my car with the intention of keeping it until I can no longer drive, then moving it into the living room.
I just told my wife last night that our next home will be a wide open concept, one level, with an open area just off the living room for the F type. It is a work of art!

The following 3 users liked this post by SonofGaladriel:
andrew0068 (11-22-2021), Fireze22 (11-17-2021), YRS (09-02-2022)
Old 11-16-2021, 12:10 PM

Well caveat... I never keep my cars for long. 2 years is about max. But again, the depreciation on this will be brutal. More than many other makes. And I usually never buy them with the intention of trading in 2 years (or less). It's just how it ends up 🤣

Old 11-16-2021, 12:48 PM
Received 108 Likes on 44 Posts

It's your money at the end of the day, but unless Jaguar cease production early and you cross your fingers hoping that the car becomes an instant 'classic' and bumping its value up, you really will be flushing a lot of money down the drain. If you can afford the hit then do it, life is FAR too short to look back later and regret not doing something you really had your heart set on, and I suppose that's where you have to think from in this instance .... what does your heart tell you to do?

The following users liked this post:
Fireze22 (11-17-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Cluck
It's your money at the end of the day, but unless Jaguar cease production early and you cross your fingers hoping that the car becomes an instant 'classic' and bumping its value up, you really will be flushing a lot of money down the drain. If you can afford the hit then do it, life is FAR too short to look back later and regret not doing something you really had your heart set on, and I suppose that's where you have to think from in this instance .... what does your heart tell you to do?
Well, that's why I'm having such a huge problem deciding what to do. I really do try to be as smart and practical as possible, in an unpractical and frivolous situation. We all know these cars are a want, not a need. Or we'd all be driving Prius's right?

In the end, I'm dealing with what I want vs what I really should do. I don't want to lose $30 or 40k obviously. But I'd love to experience the F-type. But the Emira has me completely smitten, so I'm not debating as to whether or not I'll get the Lotus. Just when... They're only making them until 2025 and as it is, newly placed depositors are looking at a 2024 car.

Old 11-16-2021, 03:02 PM
Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

Since you asked. Buy the F type and then buy the Emira when you can. Done go for it.

Fireze22 (11-17-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by frank barone
Since you asked. Buy the F type and then buy the Emira when you can. Done go for it.
Hahaha! That's the direction I've been leaning as well! The little devil on my should just says F@#% It!!
A rebate would make the decision so much easier. I just am not sure I want to shell out $120k for it. There are a lot of options at that price point.
I really am not happy about missing a couple standard options either. But I'm into it $5k already (non-refundable).

Edit to add: I'm getting to see the Emira in person soon. I am guessing it will clench my want for it, but maybe not.

Old 11-16-2021, 03:28 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Fireze22
I'm really needing some feedback from you all...Especially those who have the new facelifted F-Types.

I have a dilemma and I've been driving myself crazy trying to figure out the best path to take. I'll make it as short as possible:

I placed a deposit for a Lotus Emira in July after I stupidly sold my 911. I am approximately #50 on the allocation list. The dealer feels I have a good chance of getting a First Edition, but who knows as Lotus has been less than informative with this entire launch. As it is, it's looking like a late 2022 car if I do get an FE. Because I was unsure if I was even going to get an allocation, I placed a deposit down on the only other car (minus another Porsche) that I am remotely interested in: The F-type.
I've always shied away from the F-type due to reliability concerns. Some of these concerns seem to be over blown, but I do know many of you '21 owners have already had some gremlins.
It appears JLR has increased the base price of the R by $2k since I put my deposit down, which would make my build about $116k (~$123k with tax assuming no rebates) by the time all's said and done.
My plan was to get the F-type, drive it for a year or two and then trade it for the Emira. But... Then there's the depreciation devil. I'm guessing I'd lose around $30k or more on trade-in. On top of that, the car will be missing two standard options due to the chip shortage (keyless entry and power tailgate).

My question is... Is the $123k price tag worth it? Would you do it again if you had the choice? I've already gotten feedback from one forum member who said they weren't sure they'd do it again and they may have just waited for the new Z06 instead.

I realize nobody can make this decision for me and that's not what I'm asking. I'm just trying to figure out if paying that kind of price is out of line or if the experience is completely worth it from those who currently have the car. I have considered getting a used F-type as well, but honestly, the used ones aren't that much less and then there's that amazing warranty that comes with the new ones.
If I get the F-type, I'd postpone my Emira allocation for a '24 car.

Anyway, I welcome all feedback! TIA!
I'm in the same boat as you are. In my opinion F-type is not worth $124k. There are so many better cars around that price point, AMG GT or new SL, Z06, 718 GT4, Emira etc. These cars perform better, sound and look great, and most likely going to hold their value better.

I decided if I'm going to buy a F-type R it needs to be used with 20-30% depreciation already built-in to the price or if new it would be the P450 RWD version which I think is a lot more reasonably priced.

Fireze22 (11-17-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 03:32 PM
Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

I would never buy ANY new car in the first 1, or perhaps 2 years of production period. Every car I have ever owned, thus researched, the first year is the least reliable and depreciate the most because of that. And I want the Emira too.

The following 2 users liked this post by J444G:
Fireze22 (11-17-2021), uclabrruin1989 (11-17-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by ToysARs
I'm in the same boat as you are. In my opinion F-type is not worth $124k. There are so many better cars around that price point, AMG GT or new SL, Z06, 718 GT4, Emira etc. These cars perform better, sound and look great, and most likely going to hold their value better.

I decided if I'm going to buy a F-type R it needs to be used with 20-30% depreciation already built-in to the price or if new it would be the P450 RWD version which I think is a lot more reasonably priced.
Totally agree... In fact I said pretty much the same thing in my last post.

Old 11-16-2021, 03:37 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I would start stalking Auto Trader for an SVR. There are usually 5 or 6 low mileage 2019 or 2020 cars. I bought mine after watching Auto Trader for about three months.

I bought mine 6 months ago with 3500 miles on it and have added 4500 miles. No issues so far!

Last edited by Golfnutjtl; 11-16-2021 at 03:42 PM.
Fireze22 (11-17-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by J444G
I would never buy ANY new car in the first 1, or perhaps 2 years of production period. Every car I have ever owned, thus researched, the first year is the least reliable and depreciate the most because of that. And I want the Emira too.
​​​​​​Ya that's usually my motto too. I'd be getting th V6 manual, which is a tried and true Toyota engine. Electrics are Volvo. Sounds like they're sourced form a Polestar 1. So, most important things are essentially parts bin stuff.

Old 11-16-2021, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Golfnutjtl
I would start stalking Auto Trader for an SVR. There are usually 5 or 6 low mileage 2019 or 2020 cars. I bought mine after watching Auto Trader for about three months.

I bought mine 6 months ago with 3500 miles on it and have added 4500 miles. No issues so far!

Is that Velocity Blue? Gorgeous!! I may have seen this car. Was it in Florida?

I've considered used... But again, prices are high and the good deals aren't quite what they were. I really like the new tech in the new F-Types as well. And, I like the fact that I spec'd my own. Hard to find oyster interior with Firenze red 😉
​​​​

Old 11-16-2021, 05:23 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Fireze22
Is that Velocity Blue? Gorgeous!! I may have seen this car. Was it in Florida?

I've considered used... But again, prices are high and the good deals aren't quite what they were. I really like the new tech in the new F-Types as well. And, I like the fact that I spec'd my own. Hard to find oyster interior with Firenze red 😉
​​​​
Yes. It is Velocity Blue with a matte finish. Thanks for the compliment. It gets a lot of attention everywhere I go! I picked the car up in Akron, Ohio, visited Gettysburg and drove it home to Houston.

I agree it’s difficult to find exactly what you desire on the used market but you never know what will turn up. I also stalked the Jaguar website looking for certified SVRs.

Fireze22 (11-17-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 05:26 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Remember too that the car market is likely to correct itself, so the down-side of the depreciation is likely to be bigger than normal on everything. Evey buying at the high end of the market on the used one I just got, it was still over $35k under the original cost, for a car less than three years old. I'd guess the trade-in value in three years, of a new one you bought now, would be 50% of what you pay for it.

Also, at that $120+k price point, it just doesn't work. I can get a less than two year old Aston Vantage for $130k to $140k. As someone else mentioned, a not-so-used AMG GT is also in that price range.

Fireze22 (11-17-2021)

Quick Reply: Is it worth it and would you do it again?