F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it worth it and would you do it again?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

If you're only going to keep the F-type for a couple of years it is really pointless buying a new one. Why ? Well you should be able to get a low mileage F-type at a Jaguar main agent with 2 years of warranty, maybe more. That covers you for your time with the car, and this car will cost you a shedload less money that you can then spend on something else. Me, I bought my XE Portfolio from a Jaguar main agent a mile from my house for almost half-price and it was not yet 2 years old, and had only 10k miles on the clock. What's not to like ! So far all going well, but I've not been able to drive it as much as I'd like due to the pandemic.

The following 2 users liked this post by Fraser Mitchell:
Fireze22 (11-17-2021), Golfnutjtl (11-16-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

From a multiple 911 & Lotus owner, the F-Type is WAY more fun than a 911, and just a different animal from a Lotus.

It's clear this isn't what you want to do/hear, but go find a 2017 SVR. Drive it for a couple of years and see how things are playing out on the Lotus. There are more MY17's than any of the newer years and they've taken the big bite on depreciation. BTW, as bad as depreciation is on a new F-Type, it's far from unique in this class of car.

I recent saw a 2017 SVR vert. with low mileage, ceramic brakes, and priced at $76k. There were only about 4 months of warranty left, but I believe the price would leave a lot of headroom vs anything new.

The following 2 users liked this post by uncheel:
Fireze22 (11-17-2021), mrjohnt (11-17-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 09:08 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Well, again... As someone mentioned and we all are well aware of, right now the car market is crazy.

I did a quick search of F-Types on Car Gurus. I search 2019-2020 R's and SVR's (because I really don't want anything older than that and I'd you're gonna do it, you might as well do it right!).
Cheapest one was $84k..not sure why so low as the others were in the 90's and SVR's up to $119k. None were in my state, so then there's shipping.
Again, there is a '17 SVR fairly close. Dealer wants $90k. It's a 5 year old car. For me, I'd rather just pay the extra and get a new car, in my spec, where it has zero history.

But yes, i completely agree about the $116k (then add tax) price point. With the $10k rebate they were offering when I ordered it, it made sense. Now they've raised the price $2k and there may not be a rebate. That's where the rub comes in.

I've been looking for GT4's and am seriously considering that as an alternative. Not a huge fan of AMG GT's. I've also considered the Lc500. Reliability, amazing interior and still a V8. I just feel like I'm too young for one! Lol!

​​​​

The following users liked this post:
uclabrruin1989 (11-17-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by uncheel
From a multiple 911 & Lotus owner, the F-Type is WAY more fun than a 911, and just a different animal from a Lotus.

It's clear this isn't what you want to do/hear, but go find a 2017 SVR. Drive it for a couple of years and see how things are playing out on the Lotus. There are more MY17's than any of the newer years and they've taken the big bite on depreciation. BTW, as bad as depreciation is on a new F-Type, it's far from unique in this class of car.

I recent saw a 2017 SVR vert. with low mileage, ceramic brakes, and priced at $76k. There were only about 4 months of warranty left, but I believe the price would leave a lot of headroom vs anything new.
Not interested in verts, but I appreciate the thought. Closest '17 SVR to me is $90k...
I'll keep my eyes peeled for a used one. There were just things about the newer ones I liked.

I really appreciate everyone's input!!
​​​​

Old 11-16-2021, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Agree with avoiding first year models. Broncos are riddled with odd issues including exterior 4-digit door access pads being crooked or upside down. Now THAT is quality control.

Old 11-16-2021, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Agree with avoiding first year models. Broncos are riddled with odd issues including exterior 4-digit door access pads being crooked or upside down. Now THAT is quality control.
​​​​​​Yikes...hadn't heard that one! Just the hard top issues. And that's from a huge auto maker. Lotus is really niche so it'll be interesting for sure...

Old 11-17-2021, 02:17 AM
Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Fireze22
Well, that's why I'm having such a huge problem deciding what to do. I really do try to be as smart and practical as possible, in an unpractical and frivolous situation. We all know these cars are a want, not a need. Or we'd all be driving Prius's right?

In the end, I'm dealing with what I want vs what I really should do. I don't want to lose $30 or 40k obviously. But I'd love to experience the F-type. But the Emira has me completely smitten, so I'm not debating as to whether or not I'll get the Lotus. Just when... They're only making them until 2025 and as it is, newly placed depositors are looking at a 2024 car.
Buying these cars or any other toy is not rational, we do it because it makes us smile, money be damned.

My mama always told me this about money; "you can't take it to the grave" and as I was told by many, mother knows best.

The following 2 users liked this post by SVR 575:
Cluck (11-17-2021), mrjohnt (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 02:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I've bought 2 first year models and not had any terrible problems. I still have my '14 F Type and replaced our '14 Ghibli with an uprated engine in '17. Only early problem in Jag was O2 sensor,a vendor problem, and the ill fitting panel fixed at local approved Jag body shop. The Ghibli had software issues that took awhile , Italian time, to update. But none sidelined the car. By the way always cross your fingers if buying an Italian car that it is made before lunch!

Fireze22 (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 04:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Precovid, many bought their new cars at 15-20+ percent off msrp as a rule. The depreciation is somewhat offset at the beginning if you can buy accordingly. You won't get any or little if any discount on a Porsche. I thought the F Type value proposition was reasonable, given this is car I wanted. The design, combined with power and other aspects, faults and all. If resale is a concern, then pay the Porsche price and get your lesser depreciation. Jag lowered their overall price by adding in the some of the SVR features into the R. It is a niche car, made in relatively small quantities.

The only other car that currently appeals to me is the AMG GT 4 door as it is aggressive and beautifully styled. That price point for the upper tier is more than I want to pay. I l also like the 2018 and up Panamera's. Both of these require a premium to get the higher hp and features. Still wouldn't buy either over an F Type. Very please with my used '18 SVR. Great car for what I paid for it and I've met some great people who also own them. Somewhat unique, drives and looks great and has 575 hp. What's not to like. These are personal decisions.

Last edited by jaguny; 11-17-2021 at 04:35 AM.
Fireze22 (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 05:02 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by bjg625
By the way always cross your fingers if buying an Italian car that it is made before lunch!
Or after!

uncheel (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 07:40 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

The last time I bought a used car was in 1976. That was all I could afford at the time. Since then I have always bought new even if it meant that I had to buy what I could afford rather than something fancier but used for the same price. Peace of mind in knowing the car's history from day one always meant a lot to me.

There was a lot to be said for being able to configure a new F Type ala carte from the factory. I didn't think I would ever be able to spend $120k on a car but sound financial retirement planning coupled with a lot of luck allowed the purchase with no fear that it would be risky to do something so frivolous.

When I ordered mine there was no guarantee of any kind of rebate of incentive. As fate would have it, there was a $10K rebate for cash or 0% financing available at the time of delivery. My car is a second vehicle, just for fair weather fun and I plan on keeping it for a very long time so short term depreciation means nothing. At age 66 I figure that I deserve some fun after working my butt off for decades and since I live in Southern California, a large percentage of my income always went to a house payment so exotic cars were out of the question.

My brother is in the process of buying a new Porsche Cayman. The situation is similar to Jaguar. The price is MSRP, you order it and then wait for 4 or 5 months. I know there are a lot of nice cars out there in similar price ranges as an F Type in various configurations. Many if not most will outperform the Jag. On paper anyway. But the Jaguar has a certain something that none of the others do.

If you really plan on only owning the Jaguar for a couple of years it may not be the car for you. If you are young enough that you are approaching your peak earnings years and spending $123k is not an irresponsible thing to do if you have a mortgage, kids that need to go to college and those kinds of things, I say go for a new one and forget the Lotus.

KalamazooJag (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 07:45 AM
Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

Back to square one, decisions decisions

Old 11-17-2021, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
The last time I bought a used car was in 1976. That was all I could afford at the time. Since then I have always bought new even if it meant that I had to buy what I could afford rather than something fancier but used for the same price. Peace of mind in knowing the car's history from day one always meant a lot to me.

There was a lot to be said for being able to configure a new F Type ala carte from the factory. I didn't think I would ever be able to spend $120k on a car but sound financial retirement planning coupled with a lot of luck allowed the purchase with no fear that it would be risky to do something so frivolous.

When I ordered mine there was no guarantee of any kind of rebate of incentive. As fate would have it, there was a $10K rebate for cash or 0% financing available at the time of delivery. My car is a second vehicle, just for fair weather fun and I plan on keeping it for a very long time so short term depreciation means nothing. At age 66 I figure that I deserve some fun after working my butt off for decades and since I live in Southern California, a large percentage of my income always went to a house payment so exotic cars were out of the question.

My brother is in the process of buying a new Porsche Cayman. The situation is similar to Jaguar. The price is MSRP, you order it and then wait for 4 or 5 months. I know there are a lot of nice cars out there in similar price ranges as an F Type in various configurations. Many if not most will outperform the Jag. On paper anyway. But the Jaguar has a certain something that none of the others do.

If you really plan on only owning the Jaguar for a couple of years it may not be the car for you. If you are young enough that you are approaching your peak earnings years and spending $123k is not an irresponsible thing to do if you have a mortgage, kids that need to go to college and those kinds of things, I say go for a new one and forget the Lotus.
The Jag would be my fun car as well. I sold my 911 GTS to get the Emira. Period. At the time, I was jumping in with both feet first as I felt I just needed to get on the allocation list and figure other things out later.
But a few months later and a little more info later, as well as knowing the delayed timeline, made me think I can't possibly wait that long and I need another fun car to drive NOW! Enter the F-type.
But... I have a substantial down payment saved for my next car. Kind of like a "one time shot." I am young (mid-40's), we have a mortgage, only one kid who'll be in college soon, but this purchase will not strap us. What it would do is make me have to really save to recoup the money I'd lose on the down payment to transition to the Emira (another $100k car).

​​​​​​Admittedly what it comes down to is me not being a patient person and wanting to have my cake and eat it too! 😳 I know I'd love the Jag. What's not to love? But I know I'd regret not getting the Emira too. But, I obviously can't do both.

This is where I'm at: I am already $5k into the Jag. If there is a nice rebate offered when it arrives, then my thoughts are that I'll take the Jag and just push the Emira allocation out to 2024. That would be nearly 3 years of Jag ownership. Usually I've already had a new car itch by then. If I'm over the Emira and still love the Jag... Then perfect! It was meant to be. If I'm ready for a change, by then I can swallow some of the financial loss and move on. And I can say I've finally gotten a chance to own an F-type!

Old 11-17-2021, 10:58 AM
Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

i have the same lust for the emira, having seriously considered the evora when i bought my 2018 F Type R. i agree with those that said buying a new F Type just to sell it in 2 years is silly. besides, the new F Types were neutered as far as sound and appearance (to a lesser extent.) the answer is get a 2015 F Type R, because that's the fun one, the RWD. keep it for about 3 or 4 years until the second or third year of the emira comes out because people were right, never buy the first year of a model (even though the emira is a warmed over evora.)

Old 11-17-2021, 11:54 AM
Xec
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Golfnutjtl
I would start stalking Auto Trader for an SVR. There are usually 5 or 6 low mileage 2019 or 2020 cars. I bought mine after watching Auto Trader for about three months.

I bought mine 6 months ago with 3500 miles on it and have added 4500 miles. No issues so far!

I've seen you in Houston!!

It was in The Heights area. I was thinking of pulling the trigger on a SVR. Seeing yours on the road actually helped me do it.

Old 11-17-2021, 11:59 AM
Xec
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Well, again... As someone mentioned and we all are well aware of, right now the car market is crazy.

I did a quick search of F-Types on Car Gurus. I search 2019-2020 R's and SVR's (because I really don't want anything older than that and I'd you're gonna do it, you might as well do it right!).
Cheapest one was $84k..not sure why so low as the others were in the 90's and SVR's up to $119k. None were in my state, so then there's shipping.
Again, there is a '17 SVR fairly close. Dealer wants $90k. It's a 5 year old car. For me, I'd rather just pay the extra and get a new car, in my spec, where it has zero history.

But yes, i completely agree about the $116k (then add tax) price point. With the $10k rebate they were offering when I ordered it, it made sense. Now they've raised the price $2k and there may not be a rebate. That's where the rub comes in.

I've been looking for GT4's and am seriously considering that as an alternative. Not a huge fan of AMG GT's. I've also considered the Lc500. Reliability, amazing interior and still a V8. I just feel like I'm too young for one! Lol!

​​​​
Just something to keep in mind as well, but the 2017 has a more aggressive exhaust profile than the 2019 and 2020. I've tested both - the newer cars no longer have the factory burble tune (which may or may not be your thing) and a slightly lower pitch.

Old 11-17-2021, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
I generally agree with you, Burt, but don't tell my F-Type & F-Pace. They both cruising happily.

I remember being at a cocktail party at the Detroit Yacht Club and a couple of engineers from GM and Ford were agreeing that you shouldn't buy any new engine design for the first 5 years. Things have probably improved since then, but at least my Jags were covered on that front.

Old 11-17-2021, 08:31 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Xec
I've seen you in Houston!!

It was in The Heights area. I was thinking of pulling the trigger on a SVR. Seeing yours on the road actually helped me do it.
I’m glad I could be such a positive influence! I hope you are enjoying your beautiful black SVR with red interior.

Old 11-17-2021, 11:46 PM

I know several of you have mentioned the neutered exhaust note on the new F-type. I would start by pulling Fuse #15 and if that wasn't enough, I would get an aftermarket exhaust for it like I've done my last several cars. In essence, the scaled down exhaust is not a concern at all. Easily fixed.

I did see the Emira tonight in person. It's every bit as gorgeous as it is in photos... Most angles are even better! Definitely going to be getting Emira, but still on the fence as to whether it'll be an FE or a later year. They aren't making them much longer...
In the meantime, checking out an LC500 tomorrow. 😁

Old 11-18-2021, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

I know several of you have mentioned the neutered exhaust note on the new F-type. I would start by pulling Fuse #15 and if that wasn't enough, I would get an aftermarket exhaust for it like I've done my last several cars. In essence, the scaled down exhaust is not a concern at all. Easily fixed.

I did see the Emira tonight in person. It's every bit as gorgeous as it is in photos... Most angles are even better! Definitely going to be getting Emira, but still on the fence as to whether it'll be an FE or a later year. They aren't making them much longer...
In the meantime, checking out an LC500 tomorrow. 😁
The LC500 looks great from the rear, the rear quarters and the side….from the front-yuk. Cue the Cylons

Quick Reply: Is it worth it and would you do it again?