F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it worth it and would you do it again?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2021, 05:59 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbourne
The LC500 looks great from the rear, the rear quarters and the side….from the front-yuk. Cue the Cylons
YUK! HAHAHA!
Well, I ended up not having time to see it anyway. I just wanted to drive one once and for all to get it out of my system. Everyone just loves this car, but there is just something about the F-type!

*** And as an update, I've decided that if the car has a rebate offered when it comes in, I'm buying it. If not and we're talking full MSRP, I'm gonna have to pass on it. I just can't spend $124k on it. I'll look for another Porsche at that point and/or just wait for the Emira allocation.

Last edited by Fireze22; 11-18-2021 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-18-2021, 07:28 PM
Received 94 Likes on 52 Posts

In my experience the dealer can only honor the rebate or incentive that 8a offered at the time of delivery. In my case, they were offering $8000 cash OR 0% Financing when I ordered the car, but nothing when I took delivery in September. So, if your litmus test involves the rebate, there will be no guarantees.

Old 11-18-2021, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by KalamazooJag
In my experience the dealer can only honor the rebate or incentive that 8a offered at the time of delivery. In my case, they were offering $8000 cash OR 0% Financing when I ordered the car, but nothing when I took delivery in September. So, if your litmus test involves the rebate, there will be no guarantees.
Yes, I totally understand that. That's why I said if there's a rebate offered when the car arrives, I'll most likely buy the car. If not, I'll pass. There was a $10k rebate when I ordered it in September, which is odd you're saying there was no rebate in Sept. Interesting... All F-Types were marked down $10k. I was looking at one in California as well, but decided to order instead.

But yes, I realize JLR determines when and which models will have rebates. It may be that there won't be anything, but I just don't think it's wise to spend $116k plus tax on this car.

Old 11-18-2021, 07:58 PM
Received 94 Likes on 52 Posts

Certainly not, if you have a 2 year sunset on most of your cars. For my part, this car is a bargain long-term--and I paid MSRP. De gustibus est non disputandum.

Old 11-18-2021, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

My understanding of the rebates is that they were for cars purchased off dealer lots, not ordered new fromJaguar.
I got an $8K rebate in January for an existing dealer car but was told that if I ordered a different car from Jaguar it probably would not apply.

Old 11-18-2021, 09:48 PM
Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Xec
Just something to keep in mind as well, but the 2017 has a more aggressive exhaust profile than the 2019 and 2020. I've tested both - the newer cars no longer have the factory burble tune (which may or may not be your thing) and a slightly lower pitch.
I can make my 20 burble at will, running my car hard for any amount of time with the windows open and your ears feel like you have been in front of the tower speakers at a concert, with the windows up while on the phone people on the other end of the line will commment about the noise if I jump on it.

Originally Posted by Fireze22
Yes, I totally understand that. That's why I said if there's a rebate offered when the car arrives, I'll most likely buy the car. If not, I'll pass. There was a $10k rebate when I ordered it in September, which is odd you're saying there was no rebate in Sept. Interesting... All F-Types were marked down $10k. I was looking at one in California as well, but decided to order instead.

But yes, I realize JLR determines when and which models will have rebates. It may be that there won't be anything, but I just don't think it's wise to spend $116k plus tax on this car.
I'm not sure about Jaguar, but I do know that some rebates and incentives are regional with GM.

Old 11-18-2021, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by KalamazooJag
Certainly not, if you have a 2 year sunset on most of your cars. For my part, this car is a bargain long-term--and I paid MSRP. De gustibus est non disputandum.
Well, again, that's just the way it ends up. I really don't buy them with the intention of trading so soon. I just like to try something new 😁

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
My understanding of the rebates is that they were for cars purchased off dealer lots, not ordered new fromJaguar.
I got an $8K rebate in January for an existing dealer car but was told that if I ordered a different car from Jaguar it probably would not apply.
Wow, OK, this I did not know. Interesting... But I actually did ask the dealer before I placed the order if I'd be paying MSRP if there were no rebates being offered and he said yes.

Originally Posted by SVR 575
I'm not sure about Jaguar, but I do know that some rebates and incentives are regional with GM.
The rebates I saw were offered by JLR and were advertised on their website. It seems no models have rebates right now. But I seem to recall them usually doing rebates around Christmas time. But... We live in a new world so it's anyone's guess.

Old 11-19-2021, 09:08 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

When I started shopping for my 2021 F Type, the cars that were on the dealer's lots had notations in the listings that the rebates were for in stock vehicles. But when I placed my order, the salesman told me that if there were any rebates or incentives at the time of delivery, that I would qualify for them. Otherwise I was to pay the full MSRP that was on written quote I received when I placed my deposit.

I think the rebates or special financing programs typically last for the entire quarter, so maybe if they start a new one in January it will be in effect until the end of March ? You might get lucky. I gambled and was pleased when my salesman called me and told me that a program would be in effect when my car was delivered and sent me a revised quote.

Old 11-19-2021, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
When I started shopping for my 2021 F Type, the cars that were on the dealer's lots had notations in the listings that the rebates were for in stock vehicles. But when I placed my order, the salesman told me that if there were any rebates or incentives at the time of delivery, that I would qualify for them. Otherwise I was to pay the full MSRP that was on written quote I received when I placed my deposit.

I think the rebates or special financing programs typically last for the entire quarter, so maybe if they start a new one in January it will be in effect until the end of March ? You might get lucky. I gambled and was pleased when my salesman called me and told me that a program would be in effect when my car was delivered and sent me a revised quote.
Well, I guess we'll see. The car is supposed to be here the end of Dec/early Jan if all goes to plan. It stinks they've already increased the base price $2k in the meantime.

I've never struggled so much with a decision before! When I put the deposit down on the F-Type, it was looking like I wouldn't get the Emira allocation and I'd be waiting a really long time, so that's why I did it. I also didn't expect the car to get here before March/April so I thought I had enough time to determine if I was going to get the allocation or not. But then the dealer surprised me with a call saying they could get the car here sooner than expected. Lol!

I love both cars for different reasons, so it's been a very tough decision. Wish I could have both!

Old 11-20-2021, 03:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

If you don't take the car when it comes in and the rebate is only for cars on the lot. Your car will qualify once it sits there and if no one buys it. Maybe they will apply the rebate. This year has been particularly odd with the increase in car prices in general. Also, because Jag supposedly reduced the price of the R by adding some SVR features. As I said previously, very few have paid the full tilt prior to 2021 and COVID. Have you looked at the 2020 SVR with 775 miles in California. It's close to a 150k msrp.

Old 11-20-2021, 09:22 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

The SVR mentioned above has many desirable options. Sticker is a touch under $150,000. Dealer is asking $117,000 and you might be able to negotiate for less.

Old 11-20-2021, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Golfnutjtl
The SVR mentioned above has many desirable options. Sticker is a touch under $150,000. Dealer is asking $117,000 and you might be able to negotiate for less.
At $117k that's more than the '22 I spec'd. Even if they come down a few grand, the math just still doesn't work out imo. New (built to my specs) vs a 2 year old car.
This market is absolutely insane. I literally just paid full MSRP for my 2020 MINI Cooper that I just bought over the weekend. They would not budge on price. Lost our butts on the '14 we had bought a month ago that we traded in for it.
Crazy times!

Old 11-20-2021, 12:22 PM
Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

do you REALLY want CC brakes on a street car? noisy and super expensive to replace.

The following users liked this post:
Mark7Seven (08-30-2022)
Old 11-20-2021, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by uclabrruin1989
do you REALLY want CC brakes on a street car? noisy and super expensive to replace.
Ya not sure I feel less brake dust vs the cost worth it. But I've never had cc's before either.

Old 11-20-2021, 08:21 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I hope your car arrives by year end as JLR promised you. Keep us posted!

Fireze22 (11-21-2021)
Old 11-21-2021, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Golfnutjtl
I hope your car arrives by year end as JLR promised you. Keep us posted!
Will do!

Old 11-21-2021, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by uclabrruin1989
What's wrong with carbon ceramic? My 2017 SVR has them and there is no noise that I can hear. And they are meant to get over 100k miles of full on street driving. So I hope to never need to replace them...

Old 11-22-2021, 01:18 AM
Xec
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Carbon ceramics are actually more preferable for street driving. Sounds counterintuitive but it’s true. The Porsche GT cars who get tracked regularly all spec or swap to the steel brakes. Under very extreme temps from extended hard driving, the ceramics will warp. Steels end up being the most cost effective option for tracking.

I wish I had the ceramics on my car. The steel brakes still squeal like crazy, like all performance brake pads do. And the brake dust is unreal. Can barely drive it a few days before my wheels are all brown again.

The Marin Mazda car is IMHO overpriced. A few months back when I bought my car, there was a black 2020 with <2000 miles being sold at a SC BMW dealer. They offered me $89 on it. $117 is laughable and I’ll eat my hat if it sells for even close to that.

Fireze22 (11-22-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 03:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

The original owner of the Marin Mazda SVR had it wrapped in satin grey of some kind and painted the alloy wheels black. I was told the wrap was $8-10k. I offered them $114k for it and they said $118.4 was what they would sell it for. I had some reservations about the interior suede and a few other features. I didn't care for the black painted wheels. Went a different direction.

Old 11-22-2021, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
What's wrong with carbon ceramic? My 2017 SVR has them and there is no noise that I can hear. And they are meant to get over 100k miles of full on street driving. So I hope to never need to replace them...
There have been some forum reports of them needing to be replaced at 1/3 of the proposed mileage. I don't think there have been enough members with the brakes to know if those reports were isolated or a "thing".

To the OP, would I do it again?

Honestly, I don't know. It's not that I don't love my F-Type, I really do. However, car shopping today verses 2014 is a lot different. There are more 'good' options available in the price point then there was in 2014. I might end up in the same direction but I would say the decision wouldn't be quite a clear cut today.

Quick Reply: Is it worth it and would you do it again?