F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it worth it and would you do it again?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 09:20 AM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahjik
There have been some forum reports of them needing to be replaced at 1/3 of the proposed mileage. I don't think there have been enough members with the brakes to know if those reports were isolated or a "thing".

To the OP, would I do it again?

Honestly, I don't know. It's not that I don't love my F-Type, I really do. However, car shopping today verses 2014 is a lot different. There are more 'good' options available in the price point then there was in 2014. I might end up in the same direction but I would say the decision wouldn't be quite a clear cut today.
I hear you... And car shopping today isn't the same as even 2019. There is a tsunami in motion and we're all watching it as it slowly moves toward us. The "get your ICE car/V8 car/manual car while you still can" seems to instill real panic in some. The shortages make it even more palpable.

It's clogs my mind as well as I try to determine what I'm wanting next, not knowing what the next few years will bring to the car market. Do I want a glorious V8 GT that would honestly be the easier choice or do I want to go manual V6 with supercar looks that may end up being a huge pain but probably the most amazing car I've ever experienced?

But in the end, this is 100% First World problems and I need to remind myself how fortunate I am to even be in a situation where I CAN choose between these two fabulous cars!

​​

Old 11-22-2021, 09:21 AM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Personally I'd most certainly do it again, but I would be in a different sort of market. I'm not particularly interested in the newer versions of the car. The only three models I'd be hunting around for would be 2014 V8S, 2015 R Coupe, or one of the V6 manuals. That said, everything about these current markets is crazy and even the car that I personally own has appreciated by some margin. Times are strange...

Old 11-22-2021, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Whalesmash
Personally I'd most certainly do it again, but I would be in a different sort of market. I'm not particularly interested in the newer versions of the car. The only three models I'd be hunting around for would be 2014 V8S, 2015 R Coupe, or one of the V6 manuals. That said, everything about these current markets is crazy and even the car that I personally own has appreciated by some margin. Times are strange...
​​​​​​
Definitely in a different market than me. I personally am not interested in a 7/8 yr old car with an unknown history that will have some major maintenance schedules coming at a currently inflated price. This is one of the few times where buying a new car actually makes more sense.

Last edited by Fireze22; 11-22-2021 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-22-2021, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Fireze22
I hear you... And car shopping today isn't the same as even 2019. There is a tsunami in motion and we're all watching it as it slowly moves toward us. The "get your ICE car/V8 car/manual car while you still can" seems to instill real panic in some. The shortages make it even more palpable.

It's clogs my mind as well as I try to determine what I'm wanting next, not knowing what the next few years will bring to the car market. Do I want a glorious V8 GT that would honestly be the easier choice or do I want to go manual V6 with supercar looks that may end up being a huge pain but probably the most amazing car I've ever experienced?

But in the end, this is 100% First World problems and I need to remind myself how fortunate I am to even be in a situation where I CAN choose between these two fabulous cars!​​
You likely will not go wrong with either. Given today, the Emira would be at the top of my list. However, one the main reasons I picked the F-Type originally was for the flappy paddles. My wife cannot drive a stick so I wanted something she could drive. With that, if I did an Emira, it would be a flappy paddle version. That being said, I am contemplating getting an Emira (MB 4-pot) for my wife.

Old 11-22-2021, 09:35 AM

You likely will not go wrong with either. Given today, the Emira would be at the top of my list. However, one the main reasons I picked the F-Type originally was for the flappy paddles. My wife cannot drive a stick so I wanted something she could drive. With that, if I did an Emira, it would be a flappy paddle version. That being said, I am contemplating getting an Emira (MB 4-pot) for my wife.
Well, I guess if I want to drive a flappy paddle V8 I can always drive my husband's Hellcat.
The current wait on the Emira if you put a deposit down now is 2 years. They're already talking 2024. As it is, if I get an FE allocation, I'll be waiting until Fall/Winter 2022. The demand is insane. If the Emira wasn't such a long wait, I wouldn't be looking at the F-type. I'll be able to find a lightly used F-type in a year or so easily... The Emira will be more challenging.

Side note: Teach your wife to drive a stick!! 🤣🤣

Old 11-22-2021, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

Well, I guess if I want to drive a flappy paddle V8 I can always drive my husband's Hellcat.
The current wait on the Emira if you put a deposit down now is 2 years. They're already talking 2024. As it is, if I get an FE allocation, I'll be waiting until Fall/Winter 2022. The demand is insane. If the Emira wasn't such a long wait, I wouldn't be looking at the F-type. I'll be able to find a lightly used F-type in a year or so easily... The Emira will be more challenging.
Yep, the Emira is a few years out which works in my favor (dealing with a kid in an expensive college at the moment). The F-Type has been in production for many years so fewer people are lusting for them. The Emira will have a high demand to production ratio initially. The two will be completely different types of cars so it just depends on what you want. The F-Type is going to be more of cruising "GT" type car with a nice interior. The Emira, doesn't have a terrible interior but it's "functional" and not going for "wow". It's just not that type of car. Again, it just comes down to which car will fit your use case better.

No need. I have a S2000 race car for when I need to drive a manual. No issues there.

Old 11-22-2021, 12:03 PM
Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

i've spent a bunch of time on the lotus boards and yes, everyone is assuming Emira demand is nuts but i'm not convinced. they priced it too high and the C8 is going to whittle that Emira wait list down to the Lotus-only people, and there are precious few of those. I'd bet that they sell the same limited number of Emiras a year that they have sold of the Evora.

Old 11-22-2021, 06:21 PM

Yep, the Emira is a few years out which works in my favor (dealing with a kid in an expensive college at the moment). The F-Type has been in production for many years so fewer people are lusting for them. The Emira will have a high demand to production ratio initially. The two will be completely different types of cars so it just depends on what you want. The F-Type is going to be more of cruising "GT" type car with a nice interior. The Emira, doesn't have a terrible interior but it's "functional" and not going for "wow". It's just not that type of car. Again, it just comes down to which car will fit your use case better.
No need. I have a S2000 race car for when I need to drive a manual. No issues there.
Yes, this is exactly what I stated in another post. I realize the differences between the two and would enjoy each one for different reasons. I loved my C7 but I also loved my 911 and M2. I feel like the Jag would be closest to the C7 that I wish I'd held on to, but maybe just a bit more refined.
The Emira is the wild card. I've never had mid-engine before. And the looks alone... Wow.

I still say you need to teach your wife to drive a stick. Not for you... For her 😉

Old 11-22-2021, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member

There is a reason I have the 4C along with the F-Type. Just two very different cars... I will say, for me, if I could only have one it would be the F-Type. It's just more versatile.

Old 11-22-2021, 09:03 PM

There is a reason I have the 4C along with the F-Type. Just two very different cars... I will say, for me, if I could only have one it would be the F-Type. It's just more versatile.
Ya totally get that. Luckily, neither the Jag nor the Emira would be a daily driver. We have a truck and now a Mini for that. So really just wanting a fun car.

Old 11-22-2021, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member

Ya totally get that. Luckily, neither the Jag nor the Emira would be a daily driver. We have a truck and now a Mini for that. So really just wanting a fun car.
Same here... My FJ Cruiser and my wife's Audi do the daily duties. The 4C, F-Type and my S2000 race car are just toys.

Old 11-23-2021, 09:23 AM

Same here... My FJ Cruiser and my wife's Audi do the daily duties. The 4C, F-Type and my S2000 race car are just toys.
Nice bunch there!!

Old 11-23-2021, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

Nice bunch there!!

Thank you. I'm just trying to point out that even for a weekend toy, buying something that doesn't fit "how" it's going to be used on the weekends can make it less fun no matter how great the car may be... I use the 4C as an example, as it's easy. If my weekends consisted of heading out and corner carving alone in the car for hours, it's the perfect vehicle. If my weekends include going out for a nice dinner, it's not the best car for heading to a nice restaurant. Sure, you can do it but it's not as comfortable of an experience compared to something like the F-Type. Now, the F-Type can be a weekend corner carver itself, but it's not going to be as good as a 4C. The 4C compromises on comfort while the F-Type compromises on handling. Ideally, you have a car for different use cases.

In short, I'm suggesting to understand what the car will be doing 90% of it's driven life; then pick the car that will fill that role the best.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mahjik:
Cluck (11-23-2021), KalamazooJag (11-23-2021)
Old 08-29-2022, 06:21 PM
Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn’t buy new either. The only cars I would buy new are Porsches and some of the high end exotics. Depreciation in anything else just isn’t worth it IMO unless you plan to hang on to it forever because the F-Types will become collectors cars especially in good specs. I’m curious why you are against the older models though. I like my lowered mileage R as much as the new SVR and with pulleys and a tune it makes loads of power. Everyone has their reasons no doubt, but I am curious. I buy my vehicles for the driving experience primarily.

Old 08-29-2022, 07:53 PM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

We've had our F-type for, what, four months now and often leave it in the garage, taking the truck instead. Why? Lack of storage space for even just groceries, which is a little disappointing, honestly. Yes I know there are "solutions", like "Go twice as often and buy half as much." Haven't made that lifestyle adjustment as of yet.

Last edited by kb58; 08-29-2022 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-29-2022, 09:31 PM
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the window sticker from when my used 2020 R was new and it listed $114,700. as the sticker price. I bought it in September of 2021 with around 6000 miles on it. The price I paid (without dealer screw you over fees) was $85,000. So a depreciation of about $30,000! That ain’t peanuts! So I would never buy new, EVER. But then again I enjoy the hunt for the best deal I can find. I know not everyone gets off on that.

The following users liked this post:
SouthSider (08-30-2022)
Old 08-30-2022, 04:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I'm at 8 1/2 years so with current prices I'm in great shape as far as depreciation. My '17 Maser lost big time first 2 years, expected. Combined with a killer orig deal,19% off, and current market I'm even in good shape on it!

Old 08-30-2022, 10:54 AM
Received 190 Likes on 120 Posts

"Would you do it again?, is a question that should never be asked. Playing Monday morning quarterback leads to nothing but grief, then depression.

I've always thought that owning a car like this would be similar to having an incredibly beautiful mistress...incredible to look at and be with [until the bills eventually come due (and they do!)].

Old 08-30-2022, 11:03 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

I wouldn't buy another F-Type because I don't intend to ever get rid of the one I've got! But if anything happened to mine, it wouldn't put me off replacing it with maybe an SVR (that's the next progression in sequence, isn't it?).

The following users liked this post:
Golfnutjtl (08-30-2022)
Old 08-30-2022, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

yes it is.

Quick Reply: Is it worth it and would you do it again?