F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would Base V6 + VAP Tune + Pulley = Happy Owner??

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 03:46 AM
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Would Base V6 + VAP Tune + Pulley = Happy Owner??

Where I live (Australia) there are very few of my preferred V6S F-Types for sale, and even fewer with desirable options/colors. On the other hand there are plenty of base V6s. So it occurred to me that a base model with switchable active exhaust, VAP tune and pulley (which I'd probably add to a V6S anyway) could be an option. As I understand a V6 with VAP + pulley will have the same power output as a V6S that's had the same treatment. Silly idea?

Last edited by andrew0068; 10-11-2019 at 06:27 PM. Reason: clarified meaning in second last sentence
Old 10-11-2019, 04:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew0068
Where I live (Australia) there are very few of my preferred V6S F-Types for sale, and even fewer with desirable options/colors. On the other hand there are plenty of base V6s. So it occurred to me that a base model with switchable active exhaust, VAP tune and pulley (which I'd probably add to a V6S anyway) could be an option. As I understand a V6 with VAP + pulley will have the same power output as a V6S anyway. Silly idea?
Perfect idea, but the base V6 with a VAP tune plus pulley will have 70 more horses than an untuned V6S.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
andrew0068 (10-11-2019), Awd (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 04:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

Gooday, I would if I could live with the seats, and the ride on the standard (which is harder than the S). The base doesnt have an lsd but I dont know you'd notice that most of the time, you would moreso with the tune and pulley as I get quite a lot of wheelspin in mine and I have been impressed that it stays in a straight line. The pulley and tune will set you back about $3500 and would be a worthwhile spend as it takes performance up quite significantly you notice it at every level. Ultimately I a decently optioned base would be an option, subject to ride.

The following users liked this post:
andrew0068 (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 05:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Perfect idea, but the base V6 with a VAP tune plus pulley will have 70 more horses than an untuned V6S.
Yep, base = 335 horses, S = 375 horses, VAP pulley and tune (added to either a base or an S makes no difference) = 450 horses.
So Lance was a tad under, 75 more horses rather than 70, those annoying PS strike again!

andrew0068 (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 08:01 AM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Gooday, I would if I could live with the seats, and the ride on the standard (which is harder than the S). The base doesnt have an lsd but I dont know you'd notice that most of the time, you would moreso with the tune and pulley as I get quite a lot of wheelspin in mine and I have been impressed that it stays in a straight line. The pulley and tune will set you back about $3500 and would be a worthwhile spend as it takes performance up quite significantly you notice it at every level. Ultimately I a decently optioned base would be an option, subject to ride.
I've seen several comments on here about the harsh ride in the base model and would just like to chime in with my experience. My 2018 base model on 18" wheels and OEM Continentals rides like a dream. It is considerably more comfortable than was my 2015 Ghibli on 19" wheels, and at least as comfortable as my 2013 XF (also on 18" wheels), though not as comfortable as either my XJ6 or XJ8, but then I wouldn't have expected it to be.
One other thing I've learned is that the car will not break the rear tires loose under any dry pavement conditions. Rolling start, dead stop, launch mode, whatever, the rear wheels will barely chirp when it squats and goes.

andrew0068 (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

There are couple considerations that should be discussed.

a. Base doesn't have a limited slip differential, I am not certain how much of that extra power you would be able to put down with 1 wheel in rear wheel drive (RWD) car. In RWD configuration on base I would say you have to invest into retrofitting Torsen before you will see tangible benefit from your tune.
b. Any tuning is not a risk-free proposition, you will be a) voiding any warranty, b) putting more stress on the engine, c) will have to invest into better cooling if you drive in really hot weather. While VAP tune is considered "safe", you still need to be OK with the fact that you are taking your car past thermal design limits and very close to SC design limit. This leaves no margin of error for eventualities like 45C+ weather or bad fuel.

peppersam740 (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
I've seen several comments on here about the harsh ride in the base model and would just like to chime in with my experience. My 2018 base model on 18" wheels and OEM Continentals rides like a dream. It is considerably more comfortable than was my 2015 Ghibli on 19" wheels, and at least as comfortable as my 2013 XF (also on 18" wheels), though not as comfortable as either my XJ6 or XJ8, but then I wouldn't have expected it to be..
Yes my only experience with a base was with a new vert as a test drive on 20's, I had it for a half a day and to be honest I was very glad to give it back and get into the XKR. But it has been my experience that once the seats soften up in these cars they absorb quite a bit of the bumpiness as well, by the time you get to 5000 miles or so the performance seats at least are quite supple which is why the driver always thinks that the car rides smoother than a passenger might.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

Base plus VAP tune without a pulley will still be more power than the stock S, and is really easy. Get the unit and copy the original file, send that to VAP, load the modified file. Piece of cake, and should get you approximately 416 HP, if memory serves.

Old 10-11-2019, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by SinF

a. Base doesn't have a limited slip differential, I am not certain how much of that extra power you would be able to put down with 1 wheel in rear wheel drive (RWD) car. In RWD configuration on base I would say you have to invest into retrofitting Torsen before you will see tangible benefit from your tune.
b. Any tuning is not a risk-free proposition, you will be a) voiding any warranty, b) putting more stress on the engine, c) will have to invest into better cooling if you drive in really hot weather. While VAP tune is considered "safe", you still need to be OK with the fact that you are taking your car past thermal design limits and very close to SC design limit. This leaves no margin of error for eventualities like 45C+ weather or bad fuel.
Thanks SinF. I'll most likely be buying a car out of the 3 year warranty (we have to make do with in Australia) and the last two points you mention shouldn't be an issue. May I ask what SC design limit is?

Old 10-11-2019, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Base plus VAP tune without a pulley will still be more power than the stock S, and is really easy. Get the unit and copy the original file, send that to VAP, load the modified file. Piece of cake, and should get you approximately 416 HP, if memory serves.
Thanks. Bit worrying that I haven't even purchased a car yet and I'm considering the mods....

Old 10-11-2019, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks. Bit worrying that I haven't even purchased a car yet and I'm considering the mods....
Worrying? Not at all. It shows you're going in with your eyes open, knowing what you're looking at and what you'd like it to be.

I've been running a tune with the stock pulley for almost 30k miles now. If I had a lift I'd probably have a pulley too, but I'm too stubborn to not do my own mods.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF

b. Any tuning is not a risk-free proposition, you will be a) voiding any warranty, b) putting more stress on the engine, c) will have to invest into better cooling eif you drive in really hot weather. While VAP tune is considered "safe", you still need to be OK with the fact that you are taking your car past thermal design limits and very close to SC design limit. This leaves no margin of error for eventualities like 45C+ weather or bad fuel.
Torsen not yet available for the F-Type. If and when available, I’ll install one even though I already have the OEM lsd. The Torsen is far more effective and more durability.

Old 10-13-2019, 10:33 AM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
One other thing I've learned is that the car will not break the rear tires loose under any dry pavement conditions. Rolling start, dead stop, launch mode, whatever, the rear wheels will barely chirp when it squats and goes.
The RWD V8 has the exact opposite problem.

Old 10-14-2019, 12:46 PM
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Perhaps a little late to the party, but just in case it helps.

I have a 2015 base which I put the VAP tune + pulley on around 10K miles, about 2 years ago I think. About 33K on the car now.

The car is well optioned, 19" wheels, perf seats, active exhaust, etc. Has been to the dealer for regular maintenance and recalls and no issues with the dealer (I do de-tune it prior to each visit)

I don't find the ride that harsh relative to other cars I own; and it is our weekend road-trip car. I do track the car as well.

All in all, I am very happy owner and say go for it. As someone else mentioned, it good to ask the questions and go in knowing what to expect.

Wish you well.

The following 2 users liked this post by NigelW:
andrew0068 (12-08-2019), Jklad (10-28-2019)
Old 10-14-2019, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by NigelW
Perhaps a little late to the party, but just in case it helps.

I have a 2015 base which I put the VAP tune + pulley on around 10K miles, about 2 years ago I think. About 33K on the car now.

The car is well optioned, 19" wheels, perf seats, active exhaust, etc. Has been to the dealer for regular maintenance and recalls and no issues with the dealer (I do de-tune it prior to each visit)

I don't find the ride that harsh relative to other cars I own; and it is our weekend road-trip car. I do track the car as well.

All in all, I am very happy owner and say go for it. As someone else mentioned, it good to ask the questions and go in knowing what to expect.

Wish you well.
Great, thanks for the real-world example (I think you are the first one to chime in).

Old 10-14-2019, 09:25 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I've seen several comments on here about the harsh ride in the base model and would just like to chime in with my experience. My 2018 base model on 18" wheels and OEM Continentals rides like a dream. It is considerably more comfortable than was my 2015 Ghibli on 19" wheels, and at least as comfortable as my 2013 XF (also on 18" wheels), though not as comfortable as either my XJ6 or XJ8, but then I wouldn't have expected it to be.
+1. Ride-wise the base on 18s is (for me, and with the year-round road conditions here) a nicely-judged balance of handling, response, and comfort. Also keep in mind the greater unsprung weight trade-off with larger wheels. I drove the base on 19s, thought it had very slightly more bite but was also noticeably harsher. Seems logical that factory suspension tuning is done primarily for the model's default wheel-tire combo, so for the base, I'd expect the 18s to be the best option for many.

BTW, no performance mods so far but do plan to add the VAP tune (no pulley) as end of warranty looms.

Old 10-16-2019, 05:05 PM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I have a 2017 Base with the VAP tune, 17k miles. I have 18" rims. The ride is tight - I softened it by lowering air pressure to 33. It isn't harsh, but it is firm. Seats are still comfortable.
The tune wakes the car up, especially in the higher rev range. The engine likes to go to the redline (I got it set at 7100) where the standard tune gets lazy. It is quicker - it goes through second gear in about a second. I'm not having any traction problems, so apparently for this car, the absence of limited slip is not so much of a problem...

Old 10-16-2019, 05:24 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Where I live (Australia) there are very few of my preferred V6S F-Types for sale, and even fewer with desirable options/colors. On the other hand there are plenty of base V6s. So it occurred to me that a base model with switchable active exhaust, VAP tune and pulley (which I'd probably add to a V6S anyway) could be an option. As I understand a V6 with VAP + pulley will have the same power output as a V6S that's had the same treatment. Silly idea?
If you are looking for great handling, the 2014-15 V8's are a shade lighter than an AWD V6 base and have more traditional sportscar RWD. An untuned V8 only lacks proper tires to be a beast of a supercar.

Chawumba (10-18-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RacerX
If you are looking for great handling, the 2014-15 V8's are a shade lighter than an AWD V6 base and have more traditional sportscar RWD. An untuned V8 only lacks proper tires to be a beast of a supercar.
The RWD V6 is lighter yet, and the 6MT still lighter.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by FullChat
I have a 2017 Base with the VAP tune, 17k miles. I have 18" rims. The ride is tight - I softened it by lowering air pressure to 33. It isn't harsh, but it is firm. Seats are still comfortable.
The tune wakes the car up, especially in the higher rev range. The engine likes to go to the redline (I got it set at 7100) where the standard tune gets lazy. It is quicker - it goes through second gear in about a second. I'm not having any traction problems, so apparently for this car, the absence of limited slip is not so much of a problem...
Thanks, exactly what I was hoping to hear! How does your car sound with the tune? Does the extra power make it sound more like a V6S or isn't it that simple?

Quick Reply: Would Base V6 + VAP Tune + Pulley = Happy Owner??