F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would I be missing anything in a 2020 R vs a 2023 R-Dynamic AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2023, 03:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Would I be missing anything in a 2020 R vs a 2023 R-Dynamic AWD?

I'm currently looking at a couple of different F-Type coupes. One is a CPO 2020 R with 12K miles.

2020 CPO R

The other is a brand-new 2023 R-Dynamic AWD.

2023 R-Dynamic AWD

The 2020 is about $16K less, which seems like a pretty good deal for a higher-trim car. It's a pre-facelift, though. Were there issues fixed in the facelift that would still be present in the 2020? Any other reasons to favor the 2023 over the 2020?

I've driven the 2023 and felt that it had more than enough power, so the extra performance of the R isn't that important to me. However, the 2023 seems to have the base Meridian sound system while the R appears to have the upgraded surround sound Meridian. That's pretty appealing, since I thought that the base Meridian was appallingly bad for an almost $100K car.

Last edited by Aesthete; 02-14-2023 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-14-2023, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Aesthete
However, the 2023 seems to have the base Meridian sound system while the R appears to have the upgraded surround sound Meridian. That's pretty appealing, since I thought that the base Meridian was appalling bad for an almost $100K car.
The upgraded Meridian is appallingly bad at any price.

The following users liked this post:
Mark7Seven (02-26-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 05:45 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by eeeeek
It's not that bad. Certainly wouldn't call it great, but its OK and certainly better than the base system.

Old 02-15-2023, 02:11 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes true in the older model , but in the new 2021 F-type, the meridian is perfect, with deep bass , I have the meridian base system and it sound perfect.

Old 02-15-2023, 02:18 AM

I'm currently looking at a couple of different F-Type coupes. One is a CPO 2020 R with 12K miles.

The 2020 is about $16K less, which seems like a pretty good deal for a higher-trim car. It's a pre-facelift, though. Were there issues fixed in the facelift that would still be present in the 2020? Any other reasons to favor the 2023 over the 2020?

I've driven the 2023 and felt that it had more than enough power, so the extra performance of the R isn't that important to me. However, the 2023 seems to have the base Meridian sound system while the R appears to have the upgraded surround sound Meridian. That's pretty appealing, since I thought that the base Meridian was appallingly bad for an almost $100K car.
Go for the last model, it is better in everything. You will miss only the power of the 2020 R, but you can remap easily

Old 02-18-2023, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by spegor
Go for the last model, it is better in everything. You will miss only the power of the 2020 R, but you can remap easily
Could you be a bit more specific? I know that there was the change to a digital dash in the facelift cars, but were there mechanical changes? Different suspension? Fixes to issues that plagued the pre-facelift cars?

Old 02-18-2023, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

I dont think that there is different suspension or mechanicals unless you to to the new R which (I think) takes some of the good bits from the SVR, so I think the 450 is essentially the same car mechanically as the '20 R with a little less hp.

I also dont know that there were any issues common to the car except I think the water pump that was an early on issue.

You have a hard choice in front of you. The facelift looks fantastic (I actually find the facelift XE bumps the front corners reversing out of driveways due to its squarer snout, which would be my only tiny concern there) but then the original face hasnt dated. So ignoring my personal preference for the black pack, I dont think one looks any better than the other.

The '23 has a digital dash, we have that in our XE. It is really a bit of a ****, you play with it trying 10 different settings only to revert to the standard 2 dials, info in between. And it is flat without the texture of the original. I'm not knocking it and it is pretty, but personally I think the non digital suits the F type better. So personally I would count the digital dash as a mark down, but most people would think it was a positive I suppose, at least for resale.

The better interior and stereo of the '20 would be very compelling. It is that kind of thing that cant be fixed without spending a truckload of money, and there is a massive difference between a nicely kitted out f type interior and a basic one. One is lovey to be inside, the other is a bit cheap looking, especially if you are coming out of something quality.

Then you have the last, warranty vs discount. Not sure how CPO works and whether $19K is a big drop (over here these cars would be $200K each). Saving a bit of coin would just be icing on the cake for me, coz I'd be buying the '20 regardless.

The following users liked this post:
Aesthete (02-19-2023)
Old 02-19-2023, 02:17 AM
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

Personally, I would go for the R.

Old 02-19-2023, 02:18 AM
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
It's not that bad. Certainly wouldn't call it great, but its OK and certainly better than the base system.
It's not that bad if it was in a 40K entry level luxury car. Actually, scratch that, my 2007 Infiniti Bose system was a lot better than the 770W Meridian in stock form. I'd call it subpar at best. By comparison, the upgraded system in my moms 2017 GLC43 (Burmeister) blows the Meridian out of the water. It's funny though because the Meridian in my dads XJ is actually good. I ended up going aftermarket subs for my car.

Old 02-19-2023, 04:35 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
So personally I would count the digital dash as a mark down, but most people would think it was a positive I suppose, at least for resale.
Good to see I'm not "most people". Analogue trumps digital most times.

The following 2 users liked this post by scm:
BruceTheQuail (02-19-2023), Theweezersdad (03-03-2023)
Old 02-19-2023, 07:04 AM

Thanks, guys.

I did find this Autoweek article which seems to indicate that there were some significant suspension changes as part of the facelift:

Autoweek: The Jaguar F-Type Flaunts a New Face but Still Burbles and Coughs

"There are new calibrations for the car’s steering, the Intelligent Driveline Dynamics, electronic rear axle differential and stability control. The rear suspension knuckles are new too, with larger wheel bearings along with revised upper ball joints. Jaguar also changed the antiroll bars and springs. The dampers are the same, but the valving is different. The tires are wider, and the wheels are new.

According to Jaguar the suspension changes I mention above have been made to improve the coupe’s ride and steering feel. The ride does feel a bit softer but could be softer still (keeping in mind this is Detroit). And Jag would do well to take a bit more twitchiness out of the steering, something I said often about the last F-Type. There’s plenty of grip, but the whole experience could use a bit more composure."

Old 02-19-2023, 09:26 AM

Could you be a bit more specific? I know that there was the change to a digital dash in the facelift cars, but were there mechanical changes? Different suspension? Fixes to issues that plagued the pre-facelift cars?
Here is a summary of the improvments over the older model

Jaguar F-Type gets restyled and upgraded for 2021 - CNET

My impression over the older model (I had a 3.0 V6 S awd) is a better ride and handling and better cornering thanks to the suspension and electrically assisted power steering systems changes. Inside the digital dashboard give you a wow effect over the obsolete analog dashboard. The stereo now sounds very good, in the older model sound system was very crap! with no bass note at all. There is another thing I like a lot. There is a button in the steering wheel you can talk directly with your vocal assistant like google, alexa, it automaticly low the music volume letting you to give comands to you assistant ( like google home, your gate door , play a song , streets indications hotel etc etc) , I love it.

Old 02-22-2023, 10:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the main difference is the newer cr is some 106 HP short of the "R" (444 vs 550).

But yes, certainly there's the newer body style, mostly noticeable in the headlights and the newer digital dash.

I'm looking for my first F-Type but can't quite find what I'm looking for at my price point.

Old 02-22-2023, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhhhh, forgot. One other thing.

Apparently for 2021 they quieted the exhaust a bit; at least in the "R". Fewer pops and pings below 3500 RPMs. Probably applies to the P450 as well. You can find a youtube video about it.

Old 02-22-2023, 11:00 PM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

FWIW, I think the upgraded Meridian system sounds just fine; for being a car audio system. No complaints.