Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would love some community feedback on this pre-owned F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 07:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Would love some community feedback on this pre-owned F-Type

Hi all,

I have been finding it increasingly difficult to locate a “new-ish” F-Type in the spec I am looking for but have recently come across one from 2017 that I am thinking of pulling the trigger on. The only thing holding me back is that the vehicle has 46k miles.. however, I am thinking of taking this car and holding on to it until a newer one (potentially) comes along, ideally a ‘20 or ‘21.

There are actually a few ‘20s on the market currently however they are the “Checkered Flag” edition which unfortunately contain a number of design details that I’m just not super fond of (red seatbelts, red stitching, extended side sills, etc, etc). All I really want is a “plain” Carpathian Grey F-Type V6 with black pack + black interior + panoramic roof. Oddly these somewhat simple options are proving to be very difficult to find in one package, with the exception of this 2017. As mentioned I am thinking of taking this car and then swapping it out once something newer comes along in the same spec. I realize this may not be the absolute best financial decision but I’m pretty sold on this F-Type and the 2017 is the only one I can find that meets all of my preferred specs. Unfortunately I am way overdue for a new car and have been dragging this purchase on for months. If I wait any longer I may be forced to go with something out of necessity if my current car eventually gives out on me lol (2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe with 90k miles).

Curious what you guys think. Is this vehicle too old? Do you think it can easily crack another 50k miles? The dealer says it has been re-certified by a local Jag dealer for 100k miles and/or 7 years, whichever comes first.

Appreciate any thoughts you all have

https://www.maseraticf.com/inventory...j6bv7h8k44021/

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...&partner=SHR_3

Last edited by jetsetter883; 06-18-2021 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

The mileage doesn't worry me and an F-Type shouldn't have an issue lasting past 100k miles. Most of us don't put that kind of mileage on a F-Type, but the core mechanics are solid.

There are a couple of things from the Carfax that caught my eye.
The miles driven has some odd patterns, especially the jump in Dec' 18.
11/12/2018 14,998
12/17/2018 14,999
12/17/2018 23,898
Also, the ownership change this year - being listed as a CPO by a Jag dealer, then picked up and relisted by a Maserati dealership.
At a minimum, I'd check with the Jag dealer in Florida to get the story and service history. They should also be able to tell you what sorts of service/issues in may have had, but you may get more from the main servicing dealer in NY).

The price seems a bit rich, but I assume that's up for negotiation.

The following users liked this post:
jetsetter883 (06-18-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 09:49 PM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by uncheel
The mileage doesn't worry me and an F-Type shouldn't have an issue lasting past 100k miles. Most of us don't put that kind of mileage on a F-Type, but the core mechanics are solid.

There are a couple of things from the Carfax that caught my eye.
The miles driven has some odd patterns, especially the jump in Dec' 18.
11/12/2018 14,998
12/17/2018 14,999
12/17/2018 23,898
Returned lease in New York. I wonder if this car was driven in winter in New York, which could be subject to salt etc.

personally I prefer lower miles but at least the car was driven

Old 06-19-2021, 03:46 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

46k isn't really high for a car of that age, but does indicate it's been driven, not stuck at a dealer awaiting repair constantly! As others have said, these cars are good for high miles - I had a 2004 XKR (mechanically very similar) that had racked up well over 90,000 miles and it was pretty much bullet proof (it burst an oil pipe on me at 90,000 miles but everything was fine after that was replaced and the oil refilled). Just do the usual due diligence on it as you would for any car purchase.

Old 06-19-2021, 10:27 AM
Received 303 Likes on 198 Posts

Not sure what the used car market in general is like where you are, but here in the Midwest, at least central Wisconsin, the lots are near empty. What used cars/trucks there are are going for prices not much below what new would run, and there is literally no stock of new, due to the chip supply issues. I would double check the CarFax, contact the dealer as mentioned in another post. As a 2017 it is just about out of its 50,000 mile/5 year warranty, so if you get it, take it to your dealer and have them go through it. Check the service records for regular oil changes and if it went through its scheduled maintenances. I bought a 2017 with 26K on it this past fall, local JLR dealer found no issues, but did change the oil and filter, to be sure,even though the PO had it changed at 16K and the selling dealer changed it at 26K. Subsequently, the battery started throwing out low charge messages and it was replaced under warranty. This spring I had new all season tires put on and had the rear diff fluid changed. I will take it in about Feb. of 2022 for a final check before the warranty expires in March. I think the point that the car you're considering had miles put on it, and wasn't sitting in the service dept is a good one.

Alot depends on what your first impressions are of the car. Was it clean inside? engines compt? trunk? any smells/odors? interior scuffs/damage? Exterior paint/finish issues? I have read in this forum that just because a dealer rates the car as a CPO, that depending on the dealer, that may or may not mean much.

Finally, are you a patient person? If you REALLY want the newer car, then better to wait, no tied up financial resources, you can act quickly. If none of that matters, then just buy it enjoy it and when the production/availability opens up, then perhaps the car you'd really like will be there.

Old 06-20-2021, 07:10 AM
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

the sooner you get into ANY F type the better!.
if you have the ability to do as you suggested.....do it......today

Old 06-20-2021, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

As a point of reference, used car prices are 37% higher than they were just 4 months ago. The supply chain disruptions caused by the pandemic have caused massive price increases across several sectors. The lack of Computer chips in particular have stalled new car production. Now is not the time to buy a new or used car.

Old 06-23-2021, 06:59 AM
Received 190 Likes on 95 Posts

This was my car. Just checked the VIN # to confirm!

The Driver's seat has what looks like an indentation of some sort? That wasn't there when I turned it in. I took very good care of the car and interior.

Car was driven only a handful of times during the winter, exposed to very limited amounts of salt. Has been on three road trips to the midwest in warm weather

Only issues I had: within the first 6 months, I blew out 4 PZero tires from picking up nails. Two O2 sensors had to be changed within the first year. There was a slight water leak in the corner window behind the driver's seat that was repaired.

That set of MPS4 tires is the second set of MPS4 on the car with apprx 15k miles on them? Unless one of the dealer's has put new ones on.

The listing on their site states:

Wheels: 19 Volution-Style Twin 5-Spk Alloy (Silver)
But they are 20 TORNADO as shown in the pictures

Also it is Not "Full Morzine Cloth Headliner" It's extended leather. Jet, not Ebony. They may have tinted the windows since it's in Florida now

Here is a picture for you. Personally I love the Storm Grey color just as much as the Dark Sapphire I have now

Last edited by Jaguar1611; 06-23-2021 at 07:33 AM.