No
94.44%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Would you purchase this 16R? "Structural Damage" on Carfax

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 06:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Would you purchase this 16R? "Structural Damage" on Carfax

Looking at a used 2016 R with 12k miles but with "structural" damage for 50995 with factory warranty running till July 2021

Damage reported on Carfax is due to rear end collision
https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...WJ6DLXGMK34228

Dealer notes below:
"Please note that when this vehicle was returned to Chase Financial at the end of the lease it was inspected and determined to have had a previous repair to the trunk floor (the area located in the trunk beneath the carpet). Although this was extremely minor and inconsequential with regard to functionality, this repair to the trunk floor is considered structural in nature due to its location as a welded component of the vehicle."

Would any of you have a problem with this vehicle?
Similar vehicles without this on the carfax would run about 10k+ more in my area.
Dealer seems to have very good reviews online as well, so i'm more inclined to believe them at this point in time.

Can anyone talk me out or into this?

Old 10-02-2019, 06:47 PM

Also just received these two photos from the dealer

Old 10-03-2019, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Dealer notes are BS, this is NOT minor. Structural damage is by very definition of a big deal. At the very least take it for independent inspection to determine if it is even road-worthy/would pass safety.

This car should be treated as a salvage title and is likely ineligible for warranty coverage or CPO. 51K for that is LOL. Plus, they already were compensated by PO's insurance for diminished value, so they have a lot of room for discounting. Also, you will never be able to sell this car without 50%+ discounting with something like that noted in the CarFax, so factor that into cost of ownership.

With expensive cars like F-type, a lot of unscrupulous body shops would repair issues that should result in a write-off. You will have potential issues with alignment, panel fitment, drive shaft and CV joints going bad, rattles while driving, water getting in, and last but not least - with the car being unable to absorb impact (i.e. unsafe) in case of another rear end accident.

Last edited by SinF; 10-03-2019 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by SinF
Dealer notes are BS, this is NOT minor. This car should be treated as a salvage title and is likely ineligible for warranty coverage or CPO. 51K for that is LOL. Plus, they already were compensated by PO's insurance for diminished value, so they have a lot of room for discounting.
thanks for the response and input on this, I really appreciate it!

Old 10-03-2019, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Dealer notes are BS, this is NOT minor. Structural damage is by very definition of a big deal. At the very least take it for independent inspection to determine if it is even road-worthy/would pass safety.

This car should be treated as a salvage title and is likely ineligible for warranty coverage or CPO. 51K for that is LOL. Plus, they already were compensated by PO's insurance for diminished value, so they have a lot of room for discounting. Also, you will never be able to sell this car without 50%+ discounting with something like that noted in the CarFax, so factor that into cost of ownership.

With expensive cars like F-type, a lot of unscrupulous body shops would repair issues that should result in a write-off. You will have potential issues with alignment, panel fitment, drive shaft and CV joints going bad, rattles while driving, water getting in, and last but not least - with the car being unable to absorb impact (i.e. unsafe) in case of another rear end accident.

What are we looking at? Is that a plate that’s simply been welded into the bottom of the boot?

Old 10-03-2019, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd

What are we looking at? Is that a plate that’s simply been welded into the bottom of the boot?
Honestly, I have no idea what it is, I can't believe the inspector after lease end took the photo that close... I believe it's under the rear bumper though

Old 10-03-2019, 09:38 AM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

I've seen this type of thing go either way - its possible that it truly is minor damage, or it may have been pretty badly damaged. If you really are into this vehicle, at least get it inspected by a 3rd party - one with the ability to measure paint thickness (can determine which panels have been repainted), etc.

As others have mentioned, even if it is minor damage, when you go to sell you will have a much harder time doing so - so I'd want a bigger discount now. What is low wholesale book on this car? I'd refuse to pay more than that even after confirming damage was minor.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:56 AM

I'm thinking the whole panels were replaced probably after the accident.
Vehicle of this spec and mileage run about 60-65k and the dealer advertises themselves as "wholesale prices"

Old 10-03-2019, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,167 Likes on 677 Posts

I'm not scared by previous Damage, As long as I can see what was damaged, and what else is affected. From the pic I see. I don't see a damn thing that would make me believe they are being straight up about things. Tell them lots more "Good Pictures" that actually show the damaged, or repaired area. Otherwise walk away. If i can access it myself Ok, if not??? Pass. Just my thoughts

Jack

The following users liked this post:
peppersam740 (10-04-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by 89 Jacobra
I'm not scared by previous Damage, As long as I can see what was damaged, and what else is affected. From the pic I see. I don't see a damn thing that would make me believe they are being straight up about things. Tell them lots more "Good Pictures" that actually show the damaged, or repaired area. Otherwise walk away. If i can access it myself Ok, if not??? Pass. Just my thoughts

Jack
Thanks for your input, I should try and get more photos for sure. If they're not willing to provide it themselves then it should be a fair indicator to not even bother with it.

The following users liked this post:
89 Jacobra (10-04-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I'd have the dealer track test the car himself at high speeds (without you in it).

Old 10-07-2019, 06:26 PM

Thank you all to those who voted and gave their inputs

I had just purchased a clean carfax cpo BRG, tan and black for a few thousand more with 27k miles. Much better deal, as the BRG was my dream color!!

The following 2 users liked this post by joshx9:
89 Jacobra (10-07-2019), jaguny (10-07-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Congratulations! Post some photos!

Old 10-07-2019, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Congrats. Have to agree with you on the BRG.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by jaguny
Congratulations! Post some photos!
I'll try when I pick up the car, drove 8 hours round trip and apparently MA doesn't issue temps...... Have to go back this weekend...

Old 10-08-2019, 06:41 AM
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Depends

This is very much a matter of personal choice and what motivates you. If you want to become an expert at rebuilding an F-Type and you have the skills, then get stuck in. You could be buying trouble and a long-term project with a bottomless money pit, or if you're lucky, a bargain. Of, if you want to enjoy a great sports car and worry about nothing more than, 'where's the next gas station?' then look elsewhere.