F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you Switch from R to SVR?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 11:24 AM
Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
That's probably one of the reasons why Jag is discontinuing the R (but not the SVR).
Agreed.
CRS

Old 04-27-2018, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Gibbo205
My view on it, SVR cost more to buy but as the SVR is rarer and the halo vehicle it shall also depreciate less and if Jaguar discontinue the V8 SC or even F-Type it will always be halo models that fetch more money.
Worth considering. Interesting point.
CRS

Old 04-27-2018, 11:37 AM
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Swindon Andy
Is the ride noticeably improved with the lighter SVR wheels? If so, could be a useful upgrade for Rs.

I just opted to get a set of lighter forged wheels.

Saved about 10lbs from each corner

Old 04-27-2018, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by abhishriv
I just opted to get a set of lighter forged wheels.

Saved about 10lbs from each corner
I have been eyeing a set of ESE E1s for well over a year now. They would save 20 pounds per corner. Problem is, they have still not yet gone into production awaiting SAE certification, and I’m getting impatient.

What brand forged wheels did you go with?

Old 04-27-2018, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

I bought my MY15 R with the intention of keeping it for several years. It is the "original" F-type R coupe (1. year of production), and it is for me a "hobby car" used just for fun and pleassure. No winter driving (no salt....), low milage each year and kept in very good condition (because I like to keep it that way).

After 3 years of ownership I have found that this is the first car ever that I feel a true "connection" with - both regarding driving it and taking care of it. Frankly I would not swap it free of charge for a new SVR if someone asked if I would. I don't imply the SVR is not a better car in most senses. But for me enjoying ownership and driving the very first rwd F-type R coupe, and knowing they already have been out of production for a couple of years, more than make up for the facts that a faster/more expensive model is available. The rwd R is still a more challenging car to drive than the SVR ever will be - and the more time goes by, the more "special" the rwd R coupe will be 😉

I won't be surpriced if there allready are made more SVR's than rwd R's?

So for me the R has become a true keeper 😎

Last edited by Arne; 04-27-2018 at 01:00 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Arne:
Burt Gummer (04-28-2018), CRS 123 (04-27-2018), ndabunka (04-27-2018), Selko92 (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 09:51 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Arne
I bought my MY15 R with the intention of keeping it for several years. It is the "original" F-type R coupe (1. year of production), and it is for me a "hobby car" used just for fun and pleassure. No winter driving (no salt....), low milage each year and kept in very good condition (because I like to keep it that way).

After 3 years of ownership I have found that this is the first car ever that I feel a true "connection" with - both regarding driving it and taking care of it. Frankly I would not swap it free of charge for a new SVR if someone asked if I would. I don't imply the SVR is not a better car in most senses. But for me enjoying ownership and driving the very first rwd F-type R coupe, and knowing they already have been out of production for a couple of years, more than make up for the facts that a faster/more expensive model is available. The rwd R is still a more challenging car to drive than the SVR ever will be - and the more time goes by, the more "special" the rwd R coupe will be 😉

I won't be surpriced if there allready are made more SVR's than rwd R's?

So for me the R has become a true keeper 😎
I totally agree with this! RWD R all the way!

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (04-27-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 07:36 AM
Banned
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

There was an SVR in the showroom when I bought my R. Perfect spec, looks-wise. They just couldn't do the same deal on a percentage basis. The other issue was the actual dollar basis, as the SVR had an eye-watering $143k sticker. If they had moved mountains and hypothetically gotten it to $100k, which wouldn't be impossible, it still would've been $15k+ more than my R. The interior is a little nicer with the stitch, and the fixed spoiler is cool, but not $18k nicer or cool. (you can buy the spoiler if you want) Plus I absolutely, positively, do not want CCBs on a daily if I have the option. The R brakes squeak enough as it is, especially when cold. I could see myself in an SVR as a second, summer weekend car, on screaming deal lease.

That was my thought process at least. And looking at auction and NADA numbers, it seems to have been a good decision from the financial comparison standpoint. I'd be more likely to jump into a CPO new Vantage next time around, or just go in a completely different direction. If you worked the right deal, the $/unit of enjoyment is extremely hard to argue against when talking R, imo.

I think that I'd feel like I overpaid on an SVR, though that could be confirmation bias. At any rate, I have no regrets whatsoever.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sinjen:
CRS 123 (04-28-2018), ndabunka (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 12:38 PM
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I have been eyeing a set of ESE E1s for well over a year now. They would save 20 pounds per corner. Problem is, they have still not yet gone into production awaiting SAE certification, and I’m getting impatient.

What brand forged wheels did you go with?

Went with Signature Wheels 2 Piece. the quality and finish of the wheels is amazing. i highly recommend them. I don't believe a lot of people in the f-type community run them but they are quite popular in the Audi/Porsche/Lambo community.

https://www.signaturewheel.com/

Old 04-28-2018, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Sinjen
There was an SVR in the showroom when I bought my R. Perfect spec, looks-wise. They just couldn't do the same deal on a percentage basis. The other issue was the actual dollar basis, as the SVR had an eye-watering $143k sticker. If they had moved mountains and hypothetically gotten it to $100k, which wouldn't be impossible, it still would've been $15k+ more than my R. The interior is a little nicer with the stitch, and the fixed spoiler is cool, but not $18k nicer or cool. (you can buy the spoiler if you want) Plus I absolutely, positively, do not want CCBs on a daily if I have the option. The R brakes squeak enough as it is, especially when cold. I could see myself in an SVR as a second, summer weekend car, on screaming deal lease.

That was my thought process at least. And looking at auction and NADA numbers, it seems to have been a good decision from the financial comparison standpoint. I'd be more likely to jump into a CPO new Vantage next time around, or just go in a completely different direction. If you worked the right deal, the $/unit of enjoyment is extremely hard to argue against when talking R, imo.

I think that I'd feel like I overpaid on an SVR, though that could be confirmation bias. At any rate, I have no regrets whatsoever.
Is that an echo I hear? LOL

Old 04-28-2018, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I'm totally happy with V6S convert. but if a low mileage CPO SVR showed up my dealer might have a shot, I really like the interior. But my wife points out at my age why do I need an even faster car?

Old 04-28-2018, 10:17 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bjg625
I'm totally happy with V6S convert. but if a low mileage CPO SVR showed up my dealer might have a shot, I really like the interior. But my wife points out at my age why do I need an even faster car?
You tell her age is only a number lol soul is the wanting for SVR!

Burt Gummer (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 11:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Better yet divorce her.

I want to leave the planet at 190mph, not crapping my bed in some rest home.

ndabunka (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 06:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Bragging rights at cars and coffee.

Old 04-29-2018, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by bjg625
Oh man....she's playing the "age" card. Remind her "it's a guy thing"....As Jay Leno says.." Women's and men's brains are different...a woman's brain is actually located in her head!"
CRS

Panthro (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 893 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Better yet divorce her.

I want to leave the planet at 190mph, not crapping my bed in some rest home.
Or a similar quote "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather - not screaming in terror like his passengers"

Back to the R up to SVR, I dont know whether this is just me but whenever I have upgraded but kept to the same model of a car (eg XF 4.2 to XF 5.0 update), it hasnt been as exciting or new, and I've gotten a roving eye for something different pretty quickly. I figure I car get 4 - 5 years maximum out of a car before I want something different. If I had my V6S for 3 and went to another F Type, I think I'd be ready for a change in a year or two.

Old 04-29-2018, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Or a similar quote "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather - not screaming in terror like his passengers"
You Sir are NOT right!
but I LOVE IT & will be stealing this for another site...

Old 04-30-2018, 02:34 AM
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

I have an R and purchased pretty much all the the parts the SVR has and put them on my car, including the suspension. Only thing that my car doesn't have is the SVR seats, logo, and titanium exhaust and it was a lot cheaper than the premium added to the SVR.

Last edited by zmoothg; 04-30-2018 at 03:04 AM.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Let me know if you find a source for the titanium exhaust. I love the VAP Valvetronic, but still want to take advantage of the lower weight of the SVR exhaust.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by zmoothg
I have an R and purchased pretty much all the the parts the SVR has and put them on my car, including the suspension. Only thing that my car doesn't have is the SVR seats, logo, and titanium exhaust and it was a lot cheaper than the premium added to the SVR.

I think the only suspension parts that are different on the SVR are the front knuckles, right? If so, were those what you replaced or was there a difference in spring rates or other similar components?

Last edited by ndabunka; 04-30-2018 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:09 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Let me know if you find a source for the titanium exhaust. I love the VAP Valvetronic, but still want to take advantage of the lower weight of the SVR exhaust.
Ive got two brand new svr box's in my garage, never fitted, only thing missing is one exhaust clamp.

Quick Reply: Would you Switch from R to SVR?