F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow! Callaway tunes the Z06!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

I wasn't going to reply so this nonsense could die, but that comment about Roger Rodas is out of line. By all accounts Rodas was a competent race car driver, as was Paul Walker. They wouldn't let two idiots team up with professionals in the THill 24 Hours endurance race if they were incompetent or couldn't handle the "edge" of performance. Think lesser known Patrick Dempsey. Bottom line, speed is dangerous, whether you are Michael Schumacher or Roger Rodas or Joe Blow. You go fast, whether it's on the track or the street, you increase you risk of serious injuries/death.

You are entitled to your opinion that a 750 HP Z06 is "useless" and I can't change your mind. I can only point out that some people enjoy drag racing, that some people do track their cars, that some people do have access to miles of empty desert roads, etc. So there are plenty of actual uses for 750 HP, even if you don't enjoy them. Who needs a roller coaster when you can just find an empty road and feel a little burst of adrenaline going from 0-60 in 3.0 seconds? Some of these 750 HP drivers are good drivers, some are bad drivers. Very presumptuous of you to assume that someone with a 750 HP doesn't have the skills/experience to drive it.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Nearly 100 mph into a pole and several trees is fast enough. And the car broke in half before the fire, which is what caused the fire. A tire failure didn't accelerate him to that speed on city street with a posted speed of 45 mph. Per the official accident report, "the car suffered no mechanical failures that led to the accident."

I said, ran out of talent earlier, but that wasn't entirely accurate because he also ran out of common sense.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
I said, ran out of talent earlier
More talented than you'll ever be. Sorry Foosh, I'm done with you. Classless. Where's the ignore/block option.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Perhaps he was more talented, but I have a tremendous advantage in terms of common sense. I'd never have traveled that speed on a city street.

And thanks, I'd like that option as well. I'm tired of reading about stripes, stickers, and what color should my bumper bar be.

I'd rather participate in substantive conversations, which you refer to as "nonsense."

Last edited by Foosh; 07-29-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:48 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Not sure if the 'ignore' list does what you want...
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/p...?do=ignorelist

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (07-30-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

Yeah, anything more but the base is excessive and a "gimmick" ... yada, yada, yada ... you will shoot your eye out ... this will never stop ... stop antagonizing him, we have already lost plenty of good information on this board and people have stopped sharing because of his constant correcting and belittling of things ... now he has projected anybody with more horsepower than he has will end up dead ... just ignore his comments or we all have to get the base model, unmodified with a round steering wheel because let's face it more is a gimmick ... oh but get the 20" wheels, they are not a gimmick ...

rocspo (08-01-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 03:11 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I can see and appreciate both sides of this discussion.

While I agree that we don't need more than the base car to get 90% of what this car offers on the street, I elected to go for the top spec because I enjoy the extras I get with the higher spec config. I really like the sound and acceleration of the V8R model, but I also recognize that I cannot really get 100% out of it without breaking the law or taking the car on the track, which I have no intention of doing.

I also know that my non-round steering wheel has no positive impact on the ability to control the vehicle... I like it because it makes the car look more aggressive. Likewise for the side skirts and the CF accent pieces on my car.

I want more than the base car because I enjoy it. I'm sure Foosh gets plenty of enjoyment out of his car, even if we appreciate them in different ways.

Personally, I welcome the diversity. This forum would be pretty boring if we all had the same opinions about everything.

Foosh (07-29-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 04:37 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

People like different configurations and want different things. I only got a base with some options but spent money on cf accents. Some don't like it, some do, but I do. At times I wish it had some extra power, but I guess I have the option of Ecu flash or a piggy back solution. I guess I wouldn't have this issue if I went S or R. But I hope we don't lose many people or their opinions because there isn't many places to discuss this great car.

Foosh (07-29-2015)
Old 08-01-2015, 07:22 PM
Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Respect the diversity?

It's one thing to not like modifications others have done. It's quite another to claim that those modifications are "useless". It is even worse when the "facts" you provide to support your ridicule are at best tangential, and at worst totally inaccurate. Chill out and let others have their fun.
Hell, I'm tempted to turn my F Type into a tube frame, 2000hp ProMod, just so I can imagine you popping an eyeball out of it's socket.

themeatbaron (08-01-2015)
Old 08-01-2015, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by rocspo
It's one thing to not like modifications others have done. It's quite another to claim that those modifications are "useless". It is even worse when the "facts" you provide to support your ridicule are at best tangential, and at worst totally inaccurate. Chill out and let others have their fun.
Hell, I'm tempted to turn my F Type into a tube frame, 2000hp ProMod, just so I can imagine you popping an eyeball out of it's socket.

I don't think you can compare modifying ones car to a quarter of a million dollar, purpose built drag car to that of adding more horsepower to a car that already can't put down what it has.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stohlen
I don't think you can compare modifying ones car to a quarter of a million dollar, purpose built drag car to that of adding more horsepower to a car that already can't put down what it has.
What do you mean it can't "put down what it has"? The Callaway package is definitely faster than the stock Z06. Throw on some drag radials and it'll probably do 130+ mph. Maybe **you** can't handle the power, but some can. There are some people who 1/2 mile and mile airport runs all the time. Edit: I guess you are referring to the F-Type don't being able to put down the power. Again, this is incorrect. Maybe on launch and out of corners, but if you want to do a mile airport run, extra power will definitely be usable. Have any of you guys actually done track or drag events, or just speaking out of ignorance?

Last edited by shift; 08-01-2015 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member

Here's the Hennessey tuned F-Type R (RWD): It's Hennessey's bonkers Jag F-Type | Top Gear

I forgot who on the forum did it. But as you can see, extra power == faster. Sure, if you just slam on the gas then the wheels will spin. But if you use it properly, you get faster times. Period. End of story.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member

Here's an airport run. I'm sure extra power would have be very usable.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member

Rocspo,

Perhaps you should follow your own advice in the title of your post above. All forums should be open to diverse opinions including mine.

I'm flattered that you'd consider going to such great lengths to try to make my eyeballs pop, but save yourself the trouble. It won't work as I've pretty much seen everything.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
What do you mean it can't "put down what it has"? The Callaway package is definitely faster than the stock Z06. Throw on some drag radials and it'll probably do 130+ mph. Maybe **you** can't handle the power, but some can. There are some people who 1/2 mile and mile airport runs all the time. Edit: I guess you are referring to the F-Type don't being able to put down the power. Again, this is incorrect. Maybe on launch and out of corners, but if you want to do a mile airport run, extra power will definitely be usable. Have any of you guys actually done track or drag events, or just speaking out of ignorance?
I, as i always have been, am talking about the physical limitations of the vehicle, not the driver's skill. Too many driver egos here, this is a discussion about the vehicle and not who's behind the wheel. My point is that you're adding a significant amount of horsepower to a vehicle that can't use all the power it has until 70+ mph. Sure a skilled driver can keep the wheels from spinning under those speeds, but that driver is only using 40, 50, 60% of the vehicles power at that time. Adding more power to this isn't really the best modification. Runway racing is really the only area where i could see a benefit. And even there adding grip would be more useful at that power range than adding additional power. 50% of the people who aim for monster numbers from a car do it for the bragging rights rather than to ever actually use it. I'd love to see more people use high horsepower, but i'd love to see people effectively use power even more.

Last edited by Stohlen; 08-02-2015 at 12:04 AM.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:49 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

I got to drive my V8s in the mountains today. Went to the orchards of Eastern Washington to buy a box of peaches. Wifey poo is making peach pie tomorrow. Probably burned two gallons of gas per peach.

We had, and took advantage of, many chances to pass 1, 2, 3 or more cars at a time at high elevations in 105 degree temps. I used all the power and all the brakes a dozen times or more in this one glorious afternoon.

Another 100 or 200 hp would have made those passes happen just a touch quicker, using a smidgen less road, which would have made them just a teensy bit safer. In my view, more power and better brakes is a safety improvement, not the opposite. That is just as true going from 500 to 700 hp as it is going from 250 to 350.

Also, at sustained high speeds, going uphill at 5,000 ft of elevation in 100+ temps, with the top down and a/c cranked, carrying a passenger and a trunk full of peaches and cantaloupes, the car wasn't straining. I also didn't have to slow down for corners, or really for anything but subarus in no-passing zones I prefer having an ample reserve of power, handling and brakes. The alternative is revving the **** out of a lower powered car to achieve the same speeds.

That effortless feel is one of the primary reasons I bought this car and not a lesser machine. If I could get a faster, louder, prettier, flashier, sexier or more powerful one, I would. If that offends anyone, terrific. I like that aspect of owning the car too. World is full of self-righteous Prius drivers who want to shame us into conformity with their distorted world view and global do-gooder sensibilities. They can all kiss my a$$.

Old 08-02-2015, 03:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

It is not the increased max power at high rpm that is the important gain here, when you talk about "usable power".

What is most important is what kind of gain the tune delivers over the whole usable rpm range (the increased area under the power and torque curve in the useable rpm range).

To get a faster car, total power gain between aprox 4.000 to 6.500 rpm is way more important than max power at 6.600 rpm.

But usually a good increase in max power when done well (like the Hennesy tune) will also give a good % increase in powers also lower down in the rpm range - and that is what is important AND very usefull AND usable.

Max power alone does not really say much. You need to see the whole power and torque curve of a tune to be able to see how usefull/useable it is.

And with "to much usable" max power in the first couple of gears, many tunes are "smart" and delivers lower gain in the first gears and max gain from f.ex 3 gear and up.

I think this discussion has been a bit too "either or".....

Old 08-02-2015, 03:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Has anyone tried an Arial Atom? Mr Clarkson reviewed one several years ago - true wind in the face motoring...

Old 08-02-2015, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by F-typical
Has anyone tried an Arial Atom? Mr Clarkson reviewed one several years ago - true wind in the face motoring...
I think it has something like ~900 F-Type horsepower! (factoring in the weight). Insane power to weight ratio. But I've never liked the looks. Now, the Bac Mono, that would be a sweet 5th car!

Old 08-02-2015, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
Is the Atom street legal in the UK?