F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow Jaguar....Stereo all fixed finally!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 02:23 PM
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Please help me understand if, in fact I need the update.
I have a 2016 F Type R with the high wattage Meridian system. I don’t have buzzing sounds from the tweeters.
I have a 2011 Genesis with the 17 speaker, 429W system Lexicon system. It is excellent. I thought that this Jag was a little disappointing in that my Genesis sounds notably better. Let me qualify that normally I’m listening to the satellite – that signal appears to be crappy fidelity. When I listen to a CD or stream (Bluetooth – surprised that Bluetooth has high enough bandwidth for good fidelity), the Jag sounds quite a bit better. Not as good as the Genesis, but pretty good.
I’m reluctant to tell the Jag dealership to update the system since I have retired from an industry where we had learned most of our problems were maintenance induced. In other words, the gorillas turning the wrenches are almost as likely to cause a new problem when trying to fix the existing one.
Some type of objective measure I can take would be appreciated to assess my system. Are there any songs in particular that I can listen to that demonstrate the shortcomings of this stereo? What do I need to listen for? They will likely be .mp3 format (unless I have the original CD of the artist), but as I understand .mp3 is a very good fidelity rendition – not quite as good as CD audio, but close.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:30 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by inmanlanier
Please help me understand if, in fact I need the update.
You have a 2016 with the 770w system, therefore there is only question that need answering:

Is it a coupe? If so, get it done. There is nothing else to be said, it's a no-brainer. If it's a Vert, then it doesn't apply to you.

The sheer number of people posting here to say it is a huge improvement should be all you need to know.

Most of us *didn't* have buzzing tweeters so forget that part and just get it done.

And don't worry about them messing it up. They can't, it's a very straightforward software update, they only have a button to press (mildly simplifying it!).

Old 05-24-2017, 03:21 PM

Sorry, yes coupe.

Old 05-24-2017, 03:26 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,111 Likes on 1,409 Posts

I think that many have pointed out that the satellite radio is poor, however, so may not be an improvement for that.

Old 05-24-2017, 04:07 PM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

Sorry, yes coupe.
Do it... I didn't have the buzzing either, but the overall quality was less than great. There was a huge difference after the update.

There is no risk, only reward. As others have mentioned it's a simple software update.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainHam
You have a 2016 with the 770w system, therefore there is only question that need answering:

Is it a coupe? If so, get it done. There is nothing else to be said, it's a no-brainer. If it's a Vert, then it doesn't apply to you.
The sheer number of people posting here to say it is a huge improvement should be all you need to know.
Most of us *didn't* have buzzing tweeters so forget that part and just get it done.
Originally Posted by MI-FType
Do it... I didn't have the buzzing either, but the overall quality was less than great. There was a huge difference after the update.
There is no risk, only reward. As others have mentioned it's a simple software update.
+2! Didn't have buzzing, just lousy acoustics and lacking presence. The sound quality was not even as good as the base system on my MINI. NOW, the sound quality is proper for a car of this caliber.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Agree on the fix. MP3 is nowhere near cd quality.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Do it. I'm pissed that I waited. It's way, way better.

I sat in my car this morning before work with the live version of Hotel California from Hell Freezes Over cranked. Such a pleasing recording. I haven't even listened to so much of my music in the past year because it sounded worse than my old Altima with a crap Bose system.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Sorry, yes coupe.
Hi, I wanted to correct one thing on this thread. The fix that I started the thread on, is not for the "coupe only". I had it done on my convertible, and you can do it to both.

Fix regarding stereo works on the CONVERTIBLE and THE COUPE, FYI, and is sold today as ever, and very pleasing to the ear as well.

Have a great weekend.

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (05-26-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 03:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there any way to tell if the software update was already complete? I just picked up a 2017 coupe (base) last week and the stereo doesn't sound too great. Build date is 11/16.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rac10000
Is there any way to tell if the software update was already complete? I just picked up a 2017 coupe (base) last week and the stereo doesn't sound too great. Build date is 11/16.
Just take it in and ask them to fix it.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:21 AM

I got the update done at Jaguar of Darien ... made a HUGE difference. Thanks for the heads up!

Old 07-22-2017, 10:41 AM

At the risk of stirring a pot (no intention here - just sharing data) - I saw no difference at all. Mine was flashed a few weeks ago. I did it largely because everyone on this post raved about the before and after difference.

Please recognize I did not have any symptoms before. I must have been a lucky one to not have experienced the issues. Knowing how subjective such a judgement can be, I had a few reference songs that I listened to before and after with an ear and mind keen to remember. I still purport that my Genesis Lexicon 400+ Watt system with 17 speakers sounds better. That's likely because the Genesis is a much more quiet car.

Just my experience

Old 07-22-2017, 11:28 AM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
+2! Didn't have buzzing, just lousy acoustics and lacking presence. The sound quality was not even as good as the base system on my MINI. NOW, the sound quality is proper for a car of this caliber.
Unhingd,
Knowing you are a details guy, what was the reference for this work to get done? I had to make 3 visits to my dealership just to get the Infotainment upgrade that they knew nothing about. This upgrade may be harder to convince them. They kept telling me all updates had been done (not so!).

Is there a bonafide JLR reference that will ensure that this fix is applied correctly to a vert? Without the "you don't need this" response...

Thanks,

Old 07-22-2017, 11:48 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I had my stereo fixed on my 2017 coupe. No more buzzing of speakers! I wouldn't say it sounds that different though but I will play with some settings.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:49 AM

I printed out the attached Service Bulletin and brought it with me. The Service Advisor was very happy/receptive. It made his life and the tech's life easier ... and prevented me from possibly have to make multiple visits.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
JTB00537NAS2.pdf (436.3 KB, 259 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by rac10000:
Andy2017 (10-14-2017), Jiggaman (10-24-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amr42
Unhingd,
Knowing you are a details guy, what was the reference for this work to get done? I had to make 3 visits to my dealership just to get the Infotainment upgrade that they knew nothing about. This upgrade may be harder to convince them. They kept telling me all updates had been done (not so!).

Is there a bonafide JLR reference that will ensure that this fix is applied correctly to a vert? Without the "you don't need this" response...

Thanks,
rac10000 cites the correct reference number.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:07 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Visited dealer today .....

Hi guys,
i had my annual oil change done today. While waiting for my car i had a lengthy conversation with the senior service advisor. We discussed the stereo problem plaguing so many F Type stereo systems. My question to him was, how is it that i dodged this bullet. He told me that it is simply pot luck, having a problematic stereo or having a stereo with zero issues. He thinks the issue has to do with the cars wiring, sometimes it's good and sometimes it is bad. He also told me about the solution that Jaguar came up with to fix the buzzing and or rattling weird sounds coming through the speakers. Jaguar solution is to LOWER THE WATTAGE of the stereo system. He claims that's what the software fix does when updating the stereo software. If that's true, that's not good because jaguar is lowering the power driven to the speakers.
Really .... That's the best Jaguar can come up with to fix this problem.

Note:. My car is a 17 R Coupe

Last edited by Ubad2; 07-22-2017 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 07-22-2017, 02:48 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

just got into a new 17' R coupe. Buzzing noticed immediately before i even left the dealer. Amazing.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ubad2
Hi guys,
i had my annual oil change done today. While waiting for my car i had a lengthy conversation with the senior service advisor. We discussed the stereo problem plaguing so many F Type stereo systems. My question to him was, how is it that i dodged this bullet. He told me that it is simply pot luck, having a problematic stereo or having a stereo with zero issues. He thinks the issue has to do with the cars wiring, sometimes it's good and sometimes it is bad. He also told me about the solution that Jaguar came up with to fix the buzzing and or rattling weird sounds coming through the speakers. Jaguar solution is to LOWER THE WATTAGE of the stereo system. He claims that's what the software fix does when updating the stereo software. If that's true, that's not good because jaguar is lowering the power driven to the speakers.
Really .... That's the best Jaguar can come up with to fix this problem.

Note:. My car is a 17 R Coupe
I dont buy it. My max volume is the same pre and post fix

Quick Reply: Wow Jaguar....Stereo all fixed finally!!