F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow Jaguar....Stereo all fixed finally!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by 15FTypeR
I'm going to dealer tomorrow for this update. Hopefully I won't have to argue/persuade them to just do it. The service advisor said on the phone he hadn't heard of this before. There's probably only a couple F-types registered in this whole region though, so it doesn't surprise me. I'm armed with a couple tracks that demonstrate it, and a tone generator on my phone which really demonstrates it, and the printout of the bulletin from topix in this thread.

I hope the update is as good as some say. The stereo in this car is "tragic" by my standards. Luckily the exhaust makes up for it.

Attached is the actual service bulletin. You might find it useful when you take the car to the dealer.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
JTB00537NAS2.pdf (436.3 KB, 315 views)
The following users liked this post:
15FTypeR (10-18-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 03:43 PM
Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts

The difference is night and day. To anyone with a coupe who has not had this update done: Do it. You are doing your ears a great disservice to not get it done. Outstanding! Many people are not aware that something is wrong with sound until they hear it when it's actually right. This is one of those cases where endless fidgeting with the controls never got it right. Now it's simple: Pick a track and play it, and it simply sounds right. I'm a *very* fussy listener, near-audiophile, been called a perfectionist about audio, so trust me on this. You might remember I described this system as "tragic" a couple days ago. Now it's truly excellent. This may be the *first* vehicle audio system that I do not upgrade.

Last edited by 15FTypeR; 10-19-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

The difference is night and day. To anyone with a coupe who has not had this update done: Do it. You are doing your ears a great disservice to not get it done. Outstanding! Many people are not aware that something is wrong with sound until they hear it when it's actually right. This is one of those cases where endless fidgeting with the controls never got it right. Now it's simple: Pick a track and play it, and it simply sounds right. I'm a *very* fussy listener, near-audiophile, been called a perfectionist about audio, so trust me on this. You might remember I described this system as "tragic" a couple days ago. Now it's truly excellent. This may be the *first* vehicle audio system that I do not upgrade.
let the music play ok. Happy to hear this, “pun intended”.

jaguny (10-20-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 01:29 PM
Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

I had the update applied a few weeks ago and it definitely resolved my issue. I printed out the service bulletin in case it was needed but I didn't have any problems getting it done.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:37 PM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

"If you get confused, listen to the music play!"
I stillll haven't gotten mine done. The list of things of warranty repairs continues to grow, so I don't want to take it in for just this... But dang, mine is pretty horrid...

Old 10-23-2017, 08:59 AM
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

No update for 2014 huh?

Old 10-23-2017, 02:26 PM

The issue was that the coupes had the wrong equalizer curve programmed. I agree the curve was a disaster. So the update only applies to coupes.

Response is nice all the way down to about 42Hz now. I'm debating on adding a small sub just to fill in below that.

The only thing stopping me from adding a sub just for fun (since I have everything I need already) is getting the damn car apart.

It's so good now that I'll probably just leave it alone.

The following 2 users liked this post by 15FTypeR:
ndabunka (11-28-2017), slojotaa (10-23-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member

The only thing stopping me from adding a sub just for fun (since I have everything I need already) is getting the damn car apart.

It's so good now that I'll probably just leave it alone.
.[/QUOTE]

My conclusion exactly!!! It sounds fantastic now and for a small cab, the update did the trick.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had mine done. Definitely an improvement and no more crackling and popping/ Cut out.

Originally Posted by slojotaa
Ok forum brothers and sisters. I wanted you all to know that I just picked up my 2016 R Convertible. They re-flashed the software for me with the latest release. All I could say is "WOW"!!!!, and I mean "WOW"!

As most of you who know me realize, I have not been a happy camper either with my F-Type S 2015, and they dynomatted it and deadened the noise for me. It wasn't pretty, but wasn't bad also. I then traded it in for the "R", and got the higher end stereo. I was happy with it, but not overjoyed. Well now for the rest of the story.

I just picked it up tonight after the software reflash. I will say that the stero is "NIGHT AND DAY". Yes folks, from one of the hardest critics of the Jaguar F-Type Stereo's, this one is now in the league all of it's own. The result:

1. - Base and zero rattles. The Punch is so awesome that I had to turn the base down to 50%, sub to 50%, and left the treble high....and again, WOW!
2. - The base kicked with the volume at 40%, and it was pleasant playing rock n roll, with a hole lot of soul!!!
3. - The treble made the tweeters come to life beyond what I ever expected.
4. - The balance was 70 % to the front, and 30% to the rear, and was balanced perfectly.

There is no doubt that Jaguar redeemed itself in the stereo department making this car perfect for me. The stereo is now that of a luxury car, without question. Every fix, reason for the bum sounding stereo, that I read and saw posted was virtually wrong. A few folks said it was "Software relative", and those few were "SPOT ON"! They had it right, but the theories that we all had were not correct. It was truly the software that made the difference, only the software, and now the stereo pops.

In summary, bringing closure to the stereo issue is a pleasure for me. I now have two notes that are pleasing to the ears, the motor/muffler note, and each and every note that comes out of my speakers!!!

THANK YOU JAGUAR!!! Enjoy all, and make sure your dealers treat your car the way that Don from Madison Jaguar treated my Jaguar. He is a true professional, and knew exactly what to do with this car.

All fixed!!! :icon_bowrofl

Old 11-04-2017, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BADHBTZ
Just had mine done. Definitely an improvement and no more crackling and popping/ Cut out.
I am happy to hear this. A lot of doubters in the early stages of this post, and I am receiving the same "doubting lot" in the F-Pace Forum, whereby I did the same, including 1/4" foam around the speaker enclosures. Sounds damned awesome to say the least, if in fact the F-Pace is now the best stereo I have heard in a car to date (and I have heard a lot of them)! The F-Type now is probably not quite the best, but compared to what shipped with the car....a "MARKED IMPROVEMENT"!!!! that is now serving nicely as ear candy to my music.

Glad you are happy, and next try changing the speakers, and you will be further impressed :-). Tease statement, but it is true. there are threads here on interchangeable parts from B&W or other high end Meridian Signature series that fit the mids and base slots from CAM. Worked well.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

I have only read the 1st 4 pages and the last two of this thread so may have missed it but is there build date and/or if software rev can help determine this is impacting my '17 with build date of 2/16? I guess this one sat on a lot somewhere for trhe past year and a half...lol

When I first picked this vehicle up the stereo seemed "off" as...in the DTS and Dolby modes the center sounds centered too far back but in Meridan mode is sounds too far forward. DTS & Dobly tweeters sound almost "tin-ny" rather than "true".

#1) Is there a way to tell if you already have the patch applied? There is a software version in the iControl system. Does that reference.

#2) Many on here stated that their sound was 'good" when playing CD's or direct audio but poor on other sources. If this patch resolved those other modes then it does not seem like it would be realted to an equalizer waveform change (patch) if it is design to correct ONLY the satellite and radio issues?

Last edited by ndabunka; 11-28-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

It wouldn’t have been done unless a customer asked for it. I have a ‘17.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Nati
It wouldn’t have been done unless a customer asked for it. I have a ‘17.
That seems to be an unfounded generalization. we have heard that some dealers are pro-active and ensure that all cars are patched to latest code prior to delivery so it would be logical that a dealer may well have administered the patch in advance of delivery.

Now.... how can we, the consumer, check our systems in advance of visiting a dealer?

Old 11-29-2017, 06:25 PM

According to the bulletin it's done if "customer states tweeters are buzzing".

I would say that if it sounds like crap now, then you need the update, because it sounds really good after the update.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member

According to the bulletin it's done if "customer states tweeters are buzzing".

I would say that if it sounds like crap now, then you need the update, because it sounds really good after the update.
This misses the point. How do you not know you you don't already have the update and potentially have other issues? I don't hear any "buzzing" in the tweeters but the audio could DEFINITELY be better. An equalizer map would correct things that are unrelated to any tweeter "buzzing".

Imagine that you think that your computer runs like crap and others have said that "Windows 10 will fix that". You would then logically check to see if you are running something older than version 10. If you are already running version 10 you would not go into the dealership and ask then to load 10 because that would not be logical.

What version of the code includes this "fix"?
Where can I look in my iControl panel to define which version of code I have currently loaded?

Last edited by ndabunka; 11-29-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by ndabunka
This misses the point. How do you not know you you don't already have the update and potentially have other issues? I don't hear any "buzzing" in the tweeters but the audio could DEFINITELY be better. An equalizer map would correct things that are unrelated to any tweeter "buzzing".

Imagine that you think that your computer runs like crap and others have said that "Windows 10 will fix that". You would then logically check to see if you are running something older than version 10. If you are already running version 10 you would not go into the dealership and ask then to load 10 because that would not be logical.

Where can I look in my iControl panel to define which version of code I have currently loaded?
The software fix is independent of the infotainment OS version. Therefore, the only way to know if the fix has been applied is to have the dealer pull up the vehicle's service record.

ndabunka (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,217 Likes on 2,372 Posts

Yep, I would like to know this as well (although I have an older F-Type without iControl). Where and how can I check whether or not my car ever received the "fix" and/or what software version the sound system is running?
All indications to me are that my 770w system works perfectly without any of the reported problems, but nothing at all shows in tOPIX.
Surely there must be a way to check the sound system software version?

Old 11-29-2017, 07:49 PM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

So I had the update done at the dealership two weeks ago, and I'd say its better, but I would not describe it as night and day better. But I'm no stereo expert. I often listen to gangsta music, and with the sub woofer set at normal, I still have a buzzing sound behind the middle/passenger seat that I need to see if its the latch door or something. Other than that, I think the sound is better from the front tweeters, a bit clearer, but overall it still seems average. Fortunately, with my new VAP exhaust, I have other music to listen too...

Old 11-29-2017, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by unhingd
the software fix is independent of the infotainment os version. Therefore, the only way to know if the fix has been applied is to have the dealer pull up the vehicle's service record.
FINALLY!
- Thank you

What verbiage should we be on the look out for on the Service Records? I assume a reference to the TSB posted earlier perhaps?

Old 11-30-2017, 12:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

That seems to be an unfounded generalization. we have heard that some dealers are pro-active and ensure that all cars are patched to latest code prior to delivery so it would be logical that a dealer may well have administered the patch in advance of delivery.

Now.... how can we, the consumer, check our systems in advance of visiting a dealer?
No, because it's a TSB and not a service action / recall. This is a customer initiated fix.

slojotaa (01-18-2018)

Quick Reply: Wow Jaguar....Stereo all fixed finally!!