F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow Jaguar....Stereo all fixed finally!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 08:45 AM
Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

Ran a sine sweep thru the iPod connection. All the crossover points seem to be correct-ish.
I was surprised to hear the rear mid playing at all, given how I have the sound settings.

There's a hell of a lot of resonance coming from the car at 73Hz.

Looked at the DDW I had the dealer print out. I don't see this TSB noted but then again, it's pretty cryptic. More likely that I don't know what I'm looking at.

Old 12-16-2020, 08:47 AM
Received 178 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Robtrt8
Car is new, to me, have had it a month.
How can you tell if the car has had the bulletin applied? Would the dealer be able to look this up in the vehicle history or do I need to take it in and have them scan it?
I don't have tweeters buzzing but the sub is a mess. All of the surround settings sound like crap.
Right now I have the treble turned down a bit, the bass left flat and the sub turned down by 1/2. Surround off, fader about 50% up front.
Overall, the voicing sounds pretty good but there's just no dynamic impact to the system.
I'll run a sweep on FFT later and see what comes out of where.

+1

is it user checkable by version number(secret menu by holding down the valet button) to know if you had it applied or not? Im not an audiophile but I do think the stereo is on the bad sounding side(770w version). I can't exactly describe what's wrong but everything sounds muddy.

Old 12-16-2020, 10:13 AM
Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by takeapieandrun
So I went in today and aside from learning my car was put 'In service' a year before being sold (AKA, I missed warranty by a month..), which is another story, they also told me that they no longer apply this TSB. So apparently the solution to a problem that is too common for their liking is to ignore it.. right. I'm going to try another dealership.
I'd definitely try to get the TSB done at another dealership if your local one won't do it -- it made a substantial improvement to the audio quality when I had it done a few years ago. I was told that the 770 watt audio profile was tailored specifically for the acoustics within the convertible and was not updated when the coupe was introduced. The TSB updates the audio module's equalization configuration so that it better aligns with the coupe's acoustics.

Old 12-16-2020, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by DanL
I'd definitely try to get the TSB done at another dealership if your local one won't do it -- it made a substantial improvement to the audio quality when I had it done a few years ago. I was told that the 770 watt audio profile was tailored specifically for the acoustics within the convertible and was not updated when the coupe was introduced. The TSB updates the audio module's equalization configuration so that it better aligns with the coupe's acoustics.
I believe this to be the case based on discussion with former jag engineer who worked in Coventry facility. Upgrading the speakers (see forum discussion and how to) and adding door sound matt helped mine quite a bit. Woofers still buzz at times as I did nit upgrade those.

Last edited by jaguny; 12-16-2020 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-16-2020, 03:14 PM

Went to visit the dealer today. Unless the tweeters were misbehaving, and the tech could hear it, JLR does not want the dealerships applying updates “at customers request”. The SA said this was a new policy.

I did confirm with the tech however that changing the diff and tranny “lifetime” fluids was both possible and desirable. I will have them do it on the 64k maintenance next year.

On the way home I played with the audio settings some more. I pushed the fader all the way forward. Sounds better but still needs a ton of sound deadening and time alignment.

Old 12-16-2020, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Make the tweeters misbehave.

Old 12-17-2020, 05:04 PM
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

I took my coupe in to Jaguar of SF last summer, complaining of a buzzing coming from the speakers, the driver side door speaker in particular. I didn't ask for a specific TSB to be applied. My complaint wasn't made up, I did actually notice buzzing but only when I played a particular song that I suppose hit the right frequency to highlight the issue. I didn't identify the song nor demonstrate, just described the issue.

Their repair note said: "Verified buzzing noise from speakers. Inspected all interior panels and trims for looseness, all ok. Could not isolate noise to any one speaker. Inspected and found all speakers are in good condition, not blown. Reconfigured audio amplified module as per TSB JTB00537NAS2 and rechecked operation, okay at this time. No repairs needed at this time."

After getting the car back the sound to my ears was much improved. I went from hating listening to music in the car to actually enjoying it. I had changed a bunch of the EQ and balance settings to try to get something decent out of it, but found after the fix that I was happiest to leave everything flat and default.

Old 12-19-2020, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

The software update did wonders for my sound system as well.

Old 12-19-2020, 07:56 PM
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Is there a way to check the current version of firmware we are running for the various systems in the car - a service menu somewhere?

Old 12-19-2020, 08:44 PM
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

What are your estimates for all of the crossover points?

Whihc speakers are you referring to with "rear mid" - the smaller 100mm drivers behind the seats?

Originally Posted by Robtrt8
Ran a sine sweep thru the iPod connection. All the crossover points seem to be correct-ish.
I was surprised to hear the rear mid playing at all, given how I have the sound settings.

Old 12-20-2020, 09:15 AM

Test rig is FFT playing on iPhone into the iPod port playing pink noise.
Listening to each driver up close with a Dayton iMM-6 mic on my old iPad Pro running FFT.
Looking for a hump with obvious roll-offs.

As far as I can tell, the tweeters are playing 3k to 16k, the mids 500 to 1.3k and the mid-bass 50-500.

Then I played Villain by Lily Rose and the FFT detected a clip in the music without it being turned up hardly at all. It went away when I turned the bass down. Wonder if that’s the tweeter trying to play bass and Xmaxing, which would look like a clip?

Old 02-15-2021, 07:55 PM
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

Update - I had today off so I got my car into Livermore Jaguar. They were wonderful to work with - and I finally got the amplifier module TSB applied. Literally my sentiment echos the title of this thread.. finally! It is so much clearer and that annoying tweeter buzzing is gone. The lead technician even came out to explain the technical details to me. Love it.

I'll be taking my car here from now on - Stevens Creek and their "we don't do it anymore because too many people asked" can suck it.

Old 02-15-2021, 10:52 PM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Oh good, glad you had a good experience there.
Originally Posted by takeapieandrun
I'll be taking my car here from now on - Stevens Creek and their "we don't do it anymore because too many people asked" can suck it.
Don't do it!! While Steven's Creek is absolutely horrible, Livermore is really bad. They sold me a used car as new and during service, overfilled the oil on my V6S (not even a V8 AWD, which is the one that is commonly overfilled.) That was a couple years ago, so maybe they have improved? Couldn't get much worse. The only dealer that didn't do something wrong on mine was Cole European, but I have heard others having problems there, so I guess you take your chances anywhere.
Sorry for the rant but I feel it is my duty to warn people about the underhanded, fraudulent practices of Livermore Jaguar.