F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow Jaguar....Stereo all fixed finally!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 07:53 PM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The symptoms you describe on your 2017 are exactly what mine were on my 2016. Bulkhead and door rattles with bass turned up, crappy portable radio sound quality with no midrange presence. NTAV's report also delayed my run at the dealer. The result from the update is outstanding. Not Gryphon quality, but will stand up to a Bose or Harmann Kardon system.
I had a 2015 R that was updated and it sounded good at first but then reverted to buzzing. I just got a 2017 SVR (built in 9/16) and it's better but not perfect, especially with Satellite radio....Sirius just sucks on it.

Question: do you guys think that my build included the update or not?

Old 04-24-2017, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by XFactoR
I had a 2015 R that was updated and it sounded good at first but then reverted to buzzing. I just got a 2017 SVR (built in 9/16) and it's better but not perfect, especially with Satellite radio....Sirius just sucks on it.

Question: do you guys think that my build included the update or not?
Wouldn't even want to guess anymore.

The following users liked this post:
slojotaa (04-25-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

I think Sirius sounding bad has more to do with the sirius hardware on the car. I've also found that satellite radio sounds bad on every high end car stereo I've had (reason being that higher quality audio components allow the horrible amounts of compression used to be more noticeable).

Old 04-24-2017, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The symptoms you describe on your 2017 are exactly what mine were on my 2016. Bulkhead and door rattles with bass turned up, crappy portable radio sound quality with no midrange presence. NTAV's report also delayed my run at the dealer. The result from the update is outstanding. Not Gryphon quality, but will stand up to a Bose or Harmann Kardon system.
I'm still not convinced. You spoke about not being able to understand comedians on the Sirius comedy channel, and sound not filling the cabin. My cabin is filled adequately with mediocre sound, and I've never had trouble understanding talk radio (you might even say that's the content that sounds best, since there's no expectation of bass frequencies that you can feel).

I'll probably ask them to do the update anyway...I just hope there's a way to turn back if it causes problems.

NTAV - would love an update if you're out there.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
I think Sirius sounding bad has more to do with the sirius hardware on the car. I've also found that satellite radio sounds bad on every high end car stereo I've had (reason being that higher quality audio components allow the horrible amounts of compression used to be more noticeable).
I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times here on this Forum (OK, numerous times); when listening to any music station on my 770w 2015 V6S on SIRIUS it absolutely sucks the big one (apologies for being crass). As opposed to my wife's 11-year old 2006 BMW 325xi wagon with an upgraded stereo and listening to any music station is absolutely the bomb! As in fabulous. Like night and day.

Go figure, although I don't.

slojotaa (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 04:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

[QUOTE=

I think the stereo sucks, but could it be that everyone getting this update on older cars is just now arriving at my level of suck?

Hesitate to have it applied anyway because NTAV posted a few pages back that it made his much worse.[/QUOTE]

"GET IT DONE" because all of you trying alternate fixes, or questioning if the fix works....are wasting great amounts of time, when instead you could be listening to a fairly good stereo based upon a software fix. Yes it works, and should be applied without question. I'm surprised that the 2017 doesn't have this, however, I would take it in and get it fixed by a "reputable dealer". In fact call Madison Jaguar (Paul Miller) and ask Steve if the fix works on the 2017......, I am sure he will guide you accordingly. He and the lead tech Don know their stuff! Don't triple guess....just do it or be miserable with the lousy sound. I don't suggest the latter.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:12 AM
Veteran Member

Hey Joe! (So nice seeing you alive and posting).

Just to clarify my post above; while I did not have any problem whatsoever with the audio system in my car - and when streaming anything but SIRIUS, including CD's which, yes, I still use, the sound quality was superb (for a car) - I did have the update done and, for me, it made no difference. It's only SIRIUS which [still] sucks. (Odd, I think, since my wife's car always sounds fantastic).

Lastly, and I know you know this, sound quality tends is be very subjective. No two ears - different heads - are the same. While there are obviously problems with many F-Types out there - and thanks to you many are getting fixed - opinions might vary greatly what makes a great system. (And, as I've suggested, a car is typically a lousy place for high fidelity). Of course...a good if not great audio system in a car isn't unreasonable...especially at this price.

Looking forward to seeing you one day...

Best regards,
Jay

Last edited by RickyJay52; 04-25-2017 at 05:15 AM.
F-TypeRookie (04-25-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 04:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Hey Joe! (So nice seeing you alive and posting).

Thanks Jay....likewise and the feeling is oh so good!

Just to clarify my post above; while I did not have any problem whatsoever with the audio system in my car - and when streaming anything but SIRIUS, including CD's which, yes, I still use, the sound quality was superb (for a car) - I did have the update done and, for me, it made no difference. It's only SIRIUS which [still] sucks. (Odd, I think, since my wife's car always sounds fantastic).

SIRIUS is vocally, i.e. speaking voice totally off and as you say accentuates all problems to the max. Thus why I got rid of my account, and use the other listening options to my delight. You always said your system had nothing wrong with it, and like Foosh and the gang, I understood. However....the software did major things for the balance of folks including me, and never seemed to get the SIRIUS fully right as you state, and have been stating.

Lastly, and I know you know this, sound quality tends is be very subjective. No two ears - different heads - are the same. Of course...a good if not great audio system in a car isn't unreasonable...especially at this price.

+1

Looking forward to seeing you one day...

Lobster Run part "due"!?.....hopefully? You outdid yourself on that one, and I couldn't indulge :-(.....but next time.

Best regards,
Jay
Have a great rest of week, and hopefully the weather stands up in the great Northeast!!!! Ciao.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by slojotaa
Have a great rest of week, and hopefully the weather stands up in the great Northeast!!!! Ciao.
You know I LOVE your ebullience and enthusiasm but, you must be joking (and if you don't believe me DJS will confirm): thus far the weather, overall, sucks! (Like SIRIUS radio music in the F-Type).

Luckily and as you know I drive my car regardless (same cannot be said for DJS, but only because he likes to go topless). DJS: kindly refrain from taking that topless comment literally.

Be well Joe and continued happy motoring!

Last edited by RickyJay52; 04-26-2017 at 04:50 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:29 PM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I can confirm that MY17 does also need the update. Both I and forum member 818 took our cars in to Rusnak for the update and it made a HUGE difference!!! Both of our cars are MY17. There is absolutely no reason not to do the update!!!

Take your car in for the update TODAY!!

Cheers!

Old 04-27-2017, 07:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Update

Thanks to slojotaa all is good. Here's the end result. When I presented selected printouts clearly outlining problem/fix from this thread to the service agent he looked at me like --- yeah right, who the f do you think you are to tell us.........

So we did it their way. The "kit" from the UK was insulation stuff for the door and back panel behind the seats to fix what they said is a known problem of the wire harness and wiring not being fully secured. Hmmmm??? When they told me that was going to be the extent of the fix I said please read the printouts I gave you from the forum I belong to. Went to pick up the car yesterday, turned it on, turned on the stereo - vibration city - not fixed.

Pulled up the thread on my phone, showed them slojotaa's recommendation about Steve at P. Miller and insisted they call Steve. They did - Steve's a nice guy and outlined the following:

1. The insulation fix that was performed was not wrong. He has had to install the same in a few, very few, but a few of his fixes.

2. But they needed to do the software upgrade on overall system.

3. Then there was something they needed to do with the amp. Didn't get exactly what but there is an amp thing involved in the fix.

So the fix can actually require all 3 of the above.

I had them implement Steve's fix and guess what - success.

Sorry for being too detailed but what all of you posted is the only reason why this got fixed so I thought I'd summarize in one post to help the next guy - pay it forward.

Cheers

Misujerr (04-28-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by NoScurdyJags
I can confirm that MY17 does also need the update. Both I and forum member 818 took our cars in to Rusnak for the update and it made a HUGE difference!!! Both of our cars are MY17. There is absolutely no reason not to do the update!!!

Take your car in for the update TODAY!!

Cheers!
Thanks!

Old 04-28-2017, 02:43 AM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by AlamoJake
Sorry for being too detailed
Don't ever be sorry for that! Thanks! The "do something to the amp" is something new I think? I reeeally need to take mine in...

Old 04-28-2017, 05:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

@ Alamo- surprised you needed the insulation kit fix. I was told my 10/15 2016 R was fixed with the"kit" at the factory. How can that problem persist into 2017 builds?

Old 04-28-2017, 05:26 AM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Misujerr
The "do something to the amp" is something new I think? I reeeally need to take mine in...
Don't think so, the existing bulletin (JTB00537) covers an update to the audio amplifier module, I believe.

Old 04-29-2017, 01:25 AM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainHam
Don't think so, the existing bulletin (JTB00537) covers an update to the audio amplifier module, I believe.
Thanks. From what I understand, they are up to v2 on the update - JTB00537NAS2 (for North American updates.)

Old 05-01-2017, 09:40 PM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Misujerr
Thanks. From what I understand, they are up to v2 on the update - JTB00537NAS2 (for North American updates.)
I am so frustrated. I had the update on my 2017 SVR, and I swear I think it's worse....buzzing from behind the passenger seat speaker ...the update also didn't do anything to my 2015 R. Need help!!!

Old 05-02-2017, 04:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XFactoR
I am so frustrated. I had the update on my 2017 SVR, and I swear I think it's worse....buzzing from behind the passenger seat speaker ...the update also didn't do anything to my 2015 R. Need help!!!
Call Steve at Paul Miller (Madison) Jaguar. Don is the lead tech and knows this stuff like the back of his hand. Will get it done for you without question in my view. Did mine and a lot of others, and Don was one of the pioneers with this fix.
Good Luck!

jaguny (05-02-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

Adding my trip report:

Car:
- MY2017 (built feb 2017)
- S coupe

Settings pre-update:
- DTS
- bass 40%
- sub 35%
- treble 75%

Symptoms:
- all music lacked satisfactory bass response
- woofers would clip / sound blown at even modest settings
- vibration from rear bulkhead
- tweeters buzzing was NOT a prominent symptom, even though that's what the technical bulletin targets

Settings post-update:
- DTS
- bass 100%
- treble 100%
- sub 40%

Conclusion:
- very happy

I took the car in for my first annual service, handed them a copy of the JTB and said "my tweeters buzz, here is the fix." It was applied without fuss. I picked the car up today and was initially unsure if it had been done correctly as my audio settings were the same and my radio presets were still there.

That said, the stereo is most definitely not the same. First thing I did was put all three sliders at 100% and was getting rear bulkhead vibration. Bummer, but not entirely unexpected. I turned the sub down to less than 50% and the sound was then excellent at both high and normal volumes. The bass is now punchy and rich, and you can feel it at high volumes, which is something I was never able to get from the stereo before. In my case, most of the vibrations have always come from the rear bulkhead, and I still think the subs probably suck at their job. But what the update seems to do is allow more bass to be driven by the door speakers and the center channel, and they seem more than capable.

I just finished leaving a voicemail for my service advisor that this update is something that all of the service advisors should know about, because it makes a marked difference.

TL;DR - very happy

Last edited by Nati; 05-23-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Misujerr (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 08:41 PM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

I just got my car back today after having the "enhancement letter" services performed. When I went in to drop it off I also provided the service writer a copy of the JTB and they added on the amp software update. My stereo was like Nati's... not terrible, but far from great.

But now... Wow! The system no longer sounds tinny and actually has deep, punchy bass without distortion and vibration. Huge difference after the update. It now sounds like a high end system. I am very pleased.

If you haven't had it done yet... do it!

Side note... I also had them address the clicking / tapping sound that was coming from the drivers side c-pillar area (directly behind my left ear) when hitting small bumps. The cause turned out to be loose clips in the parcel shelf assembly.

Last edited by MI-FType; 05-23-2017 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Typo

Quick Reply: Wow Jaguar....Stereo all fixed finally!!