Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrapping an F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
I'm having my entire front, full hood, side rockers, mirrors, and panels in front of rear wheels done this coming weekend. Car will be washed, iron x-ed, then clay bar, polished, xpel ultimate and then entire surface cquarted (uk). Edges of film are rolled under wheel wells, hood, etc. Hood is one piece I'm told. Total cost $2k. My detailer does the cquart over the xpel, not under. He says waxing cquart can be done but he doesn't think it adds much gloss. I'll post photos when done.
Great price for all that work. +1 on the cQuartz not needing wax. They recommend a spry polish (very little needed).

Last edited by Unhingd; 04-30-2016 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:31 PM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

nice! I will be looking forward to seeing the pics of the finished product.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
Both XPEL and Suntek can't cover the entire hood. However a talented installer can stretch the film by a few inches to make it fit. My install has no seams at all.
My hood is done in one pce with XPEL and goes around the edges. When I asked the owner about the process he said that they cut all their patterns in house using car specific patterns and that their software allows them to modify any pre-done pattern....for ex. they could add 1/2" all the way around or whatever else they want to change. No stretching required.

Dave

Old 05-02-2016, 12:45 PM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Don't know if you have Lemon Fresh Pledge in the US, but it's available as a household general purpose household polish that seems to work very well!

Wish I could get Plexus Plastic cleaner and Polish in the UK at a reasonable price ;-(

Last edited by Tel; 05-02-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPelletier
My hood is done in one pce with XPEL and goes around the edges. When I asked the owner about the process he said that they cut all their patterns in house using car specific patterns and that their software allows them to modify any pre-done pattern....for ex. they could add 1/2" all the way around or whatever else they want to change. No stretching required.

Dave
My installer mentioned that the largest roll of Xpel is 1-2 inches narrower than needed to cover the hood without stretching. That was last year. Maybe it has changed.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
My installer mentioned that the largest roll of Xpel is 1-2 inches narrower than needed to cover the hood without stretching. That was last year. Maybe it has changed.
....I didn't check that; but my Xpel wraps the hood and they said they used a template without stretching.... They had two CNC type machines with the material on a roll; one looked to be about 48" wide, the other appeared to be much wider....maybe 7' - 8' ? I'll check and dig into it more when I go back there to see if they can wrap the P7 surround.

Cheers,
Dave

The following users liked this post:
Dejan23 (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member

....I didn't check that; but my Xpel wraps the hood and they said they used a template without stretching.... They had two CNC type machines with the material on a roll; one looked to be about 48" wide, the other appeared to be much wider....maybe 7' - 8' ? I'll check and dig into it more when I go back there to see if they can wrap the P7 surround.

Cheers,
Dave
At 7-8', it sounds like they came out with a wider roll.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member

At 7-8', it sounds like they came out with a wider roll.
Yeah, either that or;

a) I'm full of crap 'cause I wasn't paying complete attention

b) the rolls weren't XPel (though they said they were).

.....so I'll double check when I'm there. I'm getting too old to be considered a reliable source! LOL.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 05-02-2016, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, either that or;

a) I'm full of crap 'cause I wasn't paying complete attention

b) the rolls weren't XPel (though they said they were).

.....so I'll double check when I'm there. I'm getting too old to be considered a reliable source! LOL.

Cheers,
Dave
No worries. If the option exists not to stretch, that would indeed be preferable.Let us know.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X-Pel full F-Type in Toronto 5K, took 2 weeks job to be done.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member

No worries. If the option exists not to stretch, that would indeed be preferable.Let us know.
Will do. I gotta get off my butt: have to go to the wrappers for a chat, weigh my car for the weight thread and get started on the grill swap.....

Cheers,
Dave

Old 05-05-2016, 09:20 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had my coupe wrapped with xpel ultimate. Cost around 5k ... Every single edge is wrapped without seams. This has been more than worth it. Can drive the car without worry and the xpel actually makes it easier to keep clean. You don't have to worry about swirls.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:10 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bret_T
I went by a couple of local shops that apply protection film on high end exotic sports cars. Both offer Xpel and SunTek. They both told me the same thing independently without me asking. They said that SunTek looks better on darker colored cars and is less noticeable than Xpel, but they'll install whichever I want because they both work well. I looked at a couple of Ferraris and couldn't even tell a difference between the panels that were covered and the adjacent panels that were not. But, we were inside. Does anyone here have experience with SunTek?
1. As far as Xpel vs Suntek, I had originally had my V6S coupe wrapped with Xpel Ultimate in the front: bumper, complete hood, A-pillars, rocker panels, rear view mirrors. Within a year, I had a scratch from someone in a parking lot. This made me wrap the rest of the car. I went to a different detailer the second time who does both Xpel and Suntek. Attached is a picture (not my car) comparing Suntek (top panel) and Xpel (bottom panel). Up close the Xpel is a bit grainier and less smooth. From a few feet away, I can't really tell the difference. I did wrap the rest of the car: D pillars, doors, rear benders, rear bumper in Suntek.

2. The hood should be one piece without seams.

3. You should ask for edge wrapping in all places possible to avoid seeing seams/lines.

4. Make sure the detailer does a thorough paint correction removing all swirl marks before the wrap. Otherwise any paint defects are always going to show up.

5. If you add a hydrophobic coating, such as Opticoat, Cquartz, or Modesta, it should go over the clear bra (xpel or suntek). I did Modesta over the Xpel the first time. Second time, I did Cquartz over the Suntek. The water sheeting is great. Cquartz and Modesta really add a nice glossy finish to the whole thing.

Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails Wrapping an F-Type-img_10801.jpg  
jaguny (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

My car is to be finished today. Will see if I can get a few photos depending on pick up time.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:03 AM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by myshao
3. You should ask for edge wrapping in all places possible to avoid seeing seams/lines.
Would you please elaborate about what "edge wrapping" is? How is it different from what they normally do?

Old 05-09-2016, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Bret_T
Would you please elaborate about what "edge wrapping" is? How is it different from what they normally do?
It means the wrap extends around the edges and to the underside of all panels, wheel wells, etc. Many installers stop the wrap flush with edges without wrapping around them. It's a much easier installation.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:12 PM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for the explanation. I will ask about that.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Well, picked my car today and looks great except for the hood. Detailers first f type and he admittedly struggled with it. There are air bubbles under the film he said will dissapate after a few weeks in the sun. He said he would replace it if I wasn't satisfied, but was not confident of outcome for full hood and suggested a free redo with partial. I didn't really want partial. He said to hold balance of payment (50%) until it smoothes out. Did any of you have issues with full hood? It also does not extend to far corners where it meets A pillars. A small triangle is not covered. Cquart and xpel looks great on rest of car. Not sure what to do other than wait. There is only one other certified xpel installer in my area.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Unfortunately inexperienced installers will struggle with this hood. I would call the other shop in your area and ask how many F Types they have done.

Unfortunately if you take the improperly applied film off the hood, he still owes you CQuartz coating on that panel after whoever does the replacement.

jaguny (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 06:16 PM
Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Well, picked my car today and looks great except for the hood. Detailers first f type and he admittedly struggled with it. There are air bubbles under the film he said will dissapate after a few weeks in the sun. He said he would replace it if I wasn't satisfied, but was not confident of outcome for full hood and suggested a free redo with partial. I didn't really want partial. He said to hold balance of payment (50%) until it smoothes out. Did any of you have issues with full hood? It also does not extend to far corners where it meets A pillars. A small triangle is not covered. Cquart and xpel looks great on rest of car. Not sure what to do other than wait. There is only one other certified xpel installer in my area.
The bubbles will disappear over time. It will take about a month. Do not attempt puncture or push on them with your finger. The bubbles are from excess installation fluid and are normal unless really large. This will happen frequently along the bend lines in the hood.

jaguny (05-09-2016)

Quick Reply: Wrapping an F-Type