F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrapping pipes

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 09:38 PM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Wrapping pipes

I have read every internet pro/con regarding the wrapping of exhaust headers, down pipes, cats, piping, mufflers, mummies and everything else under the sun.

Question: Does anyone have first hand experience with sound/tone changes caused by wrapping of various parts of the exhaust system?

Old 04-27-2018, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by mlebofsky
I have read every internet pro/con regarding the wrapping of exhaust headers, down pipes, cats, piping, mufflers, mummies and everything else under the sun.

Question: Does anyone have first hand experience with sound/tone changes caused by wrapping of various parts of the exhaust system?
The only time I have ever wrapped headers and pipes, was on a GT1 race car with a Cleveland 331 engine in it. The wrap was necessary to avoid getting fricasseed by the cabin temp. The pipes were open , so it was too loud to perceive any difference in sound. Once blood starts dripping from your ears, tonal nuances are difficult to assess.

Old 04-28-2018, 12:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Once blood starts dripping from your ears, tonal nuances are difficult to assess.
+1

My ears have been ringing since I saw Motorhead in 1984, but at least they're
not bleeding now.

Old 04-28-2018, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member

I've only wrapped pipes for heat reasons, never for sound reasons. In fact, sound reasons seem to be lacking in the vast majority of my decision making.

The following 2 users liked this post by lizzardo:
Don1954 (04-30-2018), mbelanger (04-30-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 12:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
In fact, sound reasons seem to be lacking in the vast majority of my decision making.
lol

Old 04-28-2018, 06:05 AM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

I've only wrapped pipes for heat reasons, never for sound reasons. In fact, sound reasons seem to be lacking in the vast majority of my decision making.
No personal experience of this but believe Lizzardo and others are correct that the primary benefit is to reduce outflow of heat. More modern technology for achieving this objective is to have the internal and external part of the pipe coated with ceramic

Old 04-30-2018, 08:20 AM
Received 149 Likes on 75 Posts

i wrapped my downpipes for heat, but after looking at it on the lift, its unnecessary as the down pipes are only in the "tunnel" for about a foot, after that they are just under the chassis with plenty of ventilation and shielding.

Pile of F-Type Parts

Old 04-30-2018, 08:26 AM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Itismejoshy
i wrapped my downpipes for heat, but after looking at it on the lift, its unnecessary as the down pipes are only in the "tunnel" for about a foot, after that they are just under the chassis with plenty of ventilation and shielding.

Pile of F-Type Parts
Agreed; however, I am interested in sound, not temp.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

Pile of F-Type Parts
I really don’t see the point of modding your living room floor. Mine was heavily modded for a few months as well.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

Wrapping "for heat" can represent two different objectives. In both cases heat is retained in the pipe, but the purpose can either be to protect surrounding components from that heat or to keep the exhaust gasses from cooling. The latter helps keep gas velocity in the pipes high, which improves scavenging. I'm not sure how much it would affect a supercharged engine with catalytic converters, but it's why we'd wrap headers (or chambers) on the bikes.

Conventional wisdom in the motorcycle paddock, as much as that term can be applied to anything motorcycle racers do, was that wrapping for a street bike that might see rain was a bad idea. Even stainless will corrode, and the wrap retains water.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member

Scavenging with a supercharger is of marginal benefit. However, it will result in higher performance from a turbo charger

Old 04-30-2018, 01:27 PM
Received 149 Likes on 75 Posts

Wrapping "for heat" can represent two different objectives. In both cases heat is retained in the pipe, but the purpose can either be to protect surrounding components from that heat or to keep the exhaust gasses from cooling. The latter helps keep gas velocity in the pipes high, which improves scavenging. I'm not sure how much it would affect a supercharged engine with catalytic converters, but it's why we'd wrap headers (or chambers) on the bikes.

Conventional wisdom in the motorcycle paddock, as much as that term can be applied to anything motorcycle racers do, was that wrapping for a street bike that might see rain was a bad idea. Even stainless will corrode, and the wrap retains water.
The wrapped down pipes will 100% see moisture, this was my fear when i seen how much is under the chassis and not up in the engine bay. luckily mine is on my lift often so i will keep an eye on it and remove it when it gets to be a an issue. My goal was to work on the heat soak issue, with the cats gone it should help and i would also like to pump as much heat out the exhaust.