F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrong coolant in my F Type after engine change

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2021, 01:16 PM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Wrong coolant in my F Type after engine change

The engine in my 2014 SV8 was changed recently by an Indy BMW shop! They did a great job, and Everything was going great. I noticed the coolant was a little low, so I decided to top it up and keep a check to see if it has a leak somewhere. All of the coolant lines were updated when they did the swap. Anyway, when I went to top it up, I noticed the coolant inside the tank was pink, and not orange ! I know there are some differences in coolant types, and I assume since it was a BMW shop, and BMW’s use pink coolant, that’s why it was put in. Would it be necessary to drain and flush or will the pink suffice? When I google the Jaguar spec, it sometimes comes up the the pink antifreeze for European cars!

Old 02-14-2021, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Madscott
The engine in my 2014 SV8 was changed recently by an Indy BMW shop! They did a great job, and Everything was going great. I noticed the coolant was a little low, so I decided to top it up and keep a check to see if it has a leak somewhere. All of the coolant lines were updated when they did the swap. Anyway, when I went to top it up, I noticed the coolant inside the tank was pink, and not orange ! I know there are some differences in coolant types, and I assume since it was a BMW shop, and BMW’s use pink coolant, that’s why it was put in. Would it be necessary to drain and flush or will the pink suffice? When I google the Jaguar spec, it sometimes comes up the the pink antifreeze for European cars!
As long as the color isn’t green, you’re good to go.

The following users liked this post:
Madscott (02-15-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Madscott
They have the PINK in Porsches/BMW as well. I think Jaguar uses a Silicate Free Organic Acid Technology (OAT) Coolant, which is usually orange, yellow, red, pink or purple...Also Porsche/BMW (your PINK) stuff also use a PINK Silicate Free Organic Acid Technology (OAT). Typically, you will have issues when you mix types as it will gel up if incompatible. You should be fine, but will want to see what type they used, so you can use the same when topping up. Sounds like you may just have a different color OAT coolant.

PEAK Coolant Mfr. has a compatibility chart - Pasted for you below...And as you can see it is PINK, and good for Jaguar and a host of others, including Porsches.

Take care,
DC

The following users liked this post:
Madscott (02-15-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

While on the subject of Coolant - I thought it may be helpful to post some good general information I got from the web, on the basic types, differences, and colors

Hope this is helpful. I will also post in my DIY thread so people can find it more easily later.

DC

Why it’s Important to Have the Right Engine Coolant
In older cars, engine cooling systems were mostly brass, rubber parts and cast iron, so engine coolants were all pretty much the same. Today, automobile cooling systems have parts made from copper, silicon, nylon, steel, and magnesium and aluminum alloys. The type of coolant required by your vehicle can now vary by year, make, model, engine and even the country where the car was made. With so many factors in play, car owners need to know which type of engine coolant is right for their vehicle.

What are the Different Types of Engine Coolant
Many modern automobiles require enhanced engine coolants to properly maintain the vehicle’s cooling system and protect the engine from damage. Today, automotive service providers use three basic types of engine coolant:
• IAT – Inorganic Additive Technology
For decades, this distinctive green-colored coolant protected cooling systems, but it is rarely used as factory fill in modern cars. One reason is the fast depletion rate of its additives, which means it has to be changed more frequently, usually every two years or 24,000 miles.
• OAT – Organic Acid Technology - This is the Jaguar F-Type coolant (Silicate Free)
Commonly required for vehicles manufactured by General Motors, and some other automakers, OAT coolants are not compatible with other types. Usually orange, yellow, red or purple, OAT coolants are typically changed every five years or 50,000 miles.
• HOAT – Hybrid Organic Acid Technology
Providing the benefits of both IAT and OAT coolants, HOAT coolants are primarily orange and yellow and are common in Chrysler and Ford vehicles. OAT coolants are typically changed every five years or 50,000 miles, although some automakers specify intervals as long as 10 years or 150,000 miles.
• Hybrid and Electric Vehicle Cooling Systems
Most hybrid and electric vehicles have a separate cooling system for the battery pack. Only coolants that meet the automakers’ specifications should be used in these systems.
In addition to the basic coolant types described above, each automaker has unique requirements for engine coolants. The product used should always meet the applicable specifications. This information is available in your owner’s manual, and a good service technician will always make sure that the coolant used meets factory requirements.

Additional Things to Consider
Here are a few other points for engine coolant choice:

1. Coolant type cannot be accurately identified by color. Both OAT and HOAT are often orange or yellow, so they can be easily misidentified.
2. Automakers don’t adopt new coolants on a simple schedule. It’s entirely possible for two vehicles from the same manufacturer to use two completely different coolant types.
3. Just because a vehicle had one type of coolant when it left the factory doesn’t mean a different type of coolant wasn’t installed at some point in the life of the vehicle. When changing back to the factory recommended coolant, a complete cooling system flush should be performed first.

The following 2 users liked this post by Therock88:
Madscott (02-15-2021), vettegood (02-14-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 07:31 PM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Good info. Thanks for posting.