"I'm tired, and this is a nice little spot here so let me just have a seat"

Old 08-25-2019, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

Probs had picture taken on it...

Old 08-25-2019, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

Same thing happened to me in Pebble Beach a few months ago. I was sitting a bench overlooking the ocean on 17 Mile Drive, turned around a few mins later only to find a dude leaning on the car while one of his friends took a picture.

I told him to get off the car immediately, and the guy was nice enough to apologize.

That being said, I too wonder how people feel entitled to sit on, lean on etc. other peoples cars.

The following users liked this post:
scm (08-26-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 05:06 PM
Received 106 Likes on 51 Posts

On two different occasions at two different car shows a lady draped herself on the hood of my Ferrari F355 for a pic. Both times someone with a car displayed near mine told me about it. On the second occasion my clear bra was scratched. Some people have no common sense.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:45 PM
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Several years ago, in my more aggressive days, a guy in his twenties was leaning on my car after putting his bags on the trunk of my car. He was engaged in a conversation with a buddy and when I saw what he was doing I lost it. Fortunately for everyone (including me) they both quickly left the scene. I've given up on people understanding the basic concept of respecting another's property.

scm (08-26-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 10:20 AM
Received 177 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by 355rockit
On two different occasions at two different car shows a lady draped herself on the hood of my Ferrari F355 for a pic. Both times someone with a car displayed near mine told me about it. On the second occasion my clear bra was scratched. Some people have no common sense.
I won't even take my car to shows any more; some people seem to think it's the New York Auto Show or something. I've seen everything including people that think it's ok to just climb in the driver's seat and take a photo.

Better that it was the clear bra and not the paint, I guess? I had PPF applied to the front end but of course, whoever sat on my car sat on an area with no film.

Old 08-26-2019, 02:16 PM
Received 106 Likes on 51 Posts

One of my friends had his Ferrari Enzo on display with the driver door open so people can see inside. Some goof crawled in and closed the door. After that my friend kept the door shut and locked.

Old 08-26-2019, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Some people honestly just don't understand......seems simple enough but it's beyond their grasp. After spending $125,000 restoring my last car and trying to keep track of every women's purse, dog's leash and kids toys getting close enough to brush my $45,000 paint job, I stopped taking my car to shows. whenever I'd (politely) ask someone to not lean over the fender with thier belt buckle/necklace/purse they'd often look at me like I had three heads....unbelievable. The bigger the show, the worse it got.

Dave

Old 08-26-2019, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 861 Posts

People...

Last edited by RickyJay52; 08-26-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

Realistically, it's pretty hard to take a car that you care about into most public settings, including mechanics, car shows, etc. I'm a stickler for the aesthetics of my car, but I've almost just had to throw in the towel at this point. Every time I take my car in for service anywhere, it undoubtedly comes back worse than it went in.

Just about every time I take my car into the local dealer for warranty work, the paint comes back full of hand prints, I have to polish out miscellaneous clear coat scratches, and the list goes on and on. I took my car recently to have it smogged -- the "gentleman" doing so left hand prints and sweat all over the outside of the door and kept the OBD2 plug in port dragging across the paint.

Point is -- if you're particular about this sort of stuff, finding service that's up to your standards is pretty much impossible regardless of where you go.

Old 08-26-2019, 03:42 PM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Most people think of a car (mostly Americans) as an appliance on wheels, they don't do it purpose, vexing I know.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:00 PM
Received 213 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Miauuu
Most people think of a car (mostly Americans) as an appliance on wheels, they don't do it purpose, vexing I know.
Got any data to back up this assertion? What was your hypothesis? P value? Etc.

I'm not American, I simply dislike generalizing blanket statements pertaining to populations, nations, cultures, etc.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 561 Likes on 361 Posts

It's worse with motorcycles. I have come out to people sitting on my bike more than a few times. One special time, the girl dropped it....

Old 08-26-2019, 08:04 PM
Received 224 Likes on 166 Posts

I won't paint people from geographical locations in broad strokes, but I am amazed at how people, even those working at car dealerships, simply drag equipment over, around, inside, and out of a car without any regard for the paint, interior, or even the general cleanliness of the auto. I et it, nobody cares about my car like me, but some of the stuff I see is downright ridiculous. I owed a home remodeling business for 7 years and worked in everything from roached-out rental duplexes to high-end beach homes and I never performed my worked differently or showed less regard for a place because of where it was located - treated them all like they were mine and in a way that I would not be ashamed if the owner walked in an saw me working.

scm (08-27-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 262 Likes on 196 Posts

Well, it works the other way too. I went on a trip across the country [ 250kms, not a big country..],
and passed by the most relaxed dude I've seen in ages... He was driving a beatup pickup, with a rusty hood,
all original and with his window down on the highway...

I realised he has a V8 , doesn't pay roadtax [older then 40 years..] and never has to worry about a scratch or a dent....

Imagine that here everybody wants a newer car then the guy nextdoor, with more gadgets, preferably an EV [no roadtax]
and they think they all own the best car in the world...

There is something to say in favour of getting an old chevy pickup...

Last edited by Dan_NL; 08-27-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,384 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre
I'm not American, I simply dislike generalizing blanket statements pertaining to populations, nations, cultures, etc.
I read in this month's issue of Gross Generalizations & Truisms that Canadians get off on beating folks with the righteous pc stick.
Nothing wrong with that.

Old 08-27-2019, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
I read in this month's issue of Gross Generalizations & Truisms that Canadians get off on beating folks with the righteous pc stick.
Nothing wrong with that.
We just call it a hockey stick.

Last edited by Luc Lapierre; 08-27-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Queen and Country (08-27-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 262 Likes on 196 Posts

Got any data to back up this assertion? What was your hypothesis? P value? Etc.

What's wrong ? Ran out of beer ? Need a rant ?

Its a known fact under petrolheads that the majority of ANY general population of ANY nation or ANY culture don't give a toss about other peoples property, in particular cars...

Many years ago I was in Cumbria for a short holiday. I went hacking [ riding a horse cross country at speed] with a group of mixed age, gender and ability .
[ this is an amicable way of putting they couldn't even sit straight..].

Some people [youngsters] never heard of the Netherlands and assumed I was just another German. That they don't like Germans was shown by the big scratch on the RH-side door, just under the window.
I only discovered it after returning to my lodgings and the landlord pointed it out to me : " Damn horses, yu've got a stirrup mark" ... ; I get in on the LH-side....

Old 08-27-2019, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
What's wrong ? Ran out of beer ? Need a rant ?

Its a known fact under petrolheads that the majority of ANY general population of ANY nation or ANY culture don't give a toss about other peoples property, in particular cars...

Many years ago I was in Cumbria for a short holiday. I went hacking [ riding a horse cross country at speed] with a group of mixed age, gender and ability .
[ this is an amicable way of putting they couldn't even sit straight..].

Some people [youngsters] never heard of the Netherlands and assumed I was just another German. That they don't like Germans was shown by the big scratch on the RH-side door, just under the window.
I only discovered it after returning to my lodgings and the landlord pointed it out to me : " Damn horses, yu've got a stirrup mark" ... ; I get in on the LH-side....

Anecdote aside, that's a fair point. I'll tell you right now if I had a Loonie for every time I muttered "animals..." under my breath while going about my day-to-day, you can be sure I'd never run out of Molson* ever again!

My general policy in terms of people's behaviour is the tried-and-true prepare-for-the-worst-hope-for-the-best. Set the bar low, then you're never disappointed

*just kidding, don't drink this. It's mass-produced big-brand garbage, just as unpalatable as any other mass-produced big-brand garbage.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:39 PM
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

All generalisations are false

Luc Lapierre (08-27-2019)

Quick Reply: WTF is wrong with people?