F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF is wrong with people?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2019 | 09:22 PM
Veteran Member

97.3% of statistics are made up

but I sit on the fence with generalisations. There does seem to be norms with different groups, I see it when I travel, and I also see it in law. These are learned behaviours that might be the norm for a particular group but a bit different to the way that I might act, and no doubt I do or think a lot of things or value things that might seem odd to another cultural group. But then according to my business partners, and my wife, my behaviour isnt all that normal for our cultural and socio economic group

The following 2 users liked this post by BruceTheQuail:
DPelletier (08-28-2019), xrix4096 (08-27-2019)
Old 08-27-2019 | 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by xrix4096
All generalisations are false

Except the very accurate generalization that all F Type Owners are cool dudes.

The following users liked this post:
Luc Lapierre (08-27-2019)
Old 08-27-2019 | 10:05 PM

All generalisations are false
This statement is a lie.

xrix4096 (08-27-2019)
Old 08-27-2019 | 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by HalcyonDays
Except the very accurate generalization that all F Type Owners are cool dudes.
LOL. Well I think our very own moderate liberal Queen and Country might disagree based on recent posts....

Old 08-27-2019 | 10:38 PM

LOL. Well I think our very own moderate liberal Queen and Country might disagree based on recent posts....
That last post was clearly meant to button things up quit stirring the pot.

xrix4096 (08-28-2019)
Old 08-28-2019 | 04:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
.. ...according to my business partners, and my wife, my behaviour isnt all that normal for our cultural and socio economic group
I always get angry when my kids or somebody tells me/us to "..behave normal.." . Because what it means is : do like everybody else does, don't stand out... ... I disagree.
We are anything but normal.. .. normal is for the droves who stare at social media all day, who watch the endless TV shows to oblivion, who spend their lives shopping
or other utter wastes of time..

Life is short, you should live it. ..and thats one of the reasons I drive an F-Type, like many of you. But we are not many, not normal, not the average..

The following 3 users liked this post by Dan_NL:
BruceTheQuail (08-28-2019), Noshame (08-29-2019), scm (08-28-2019)
Old 08-28-2019 | 09:42 AM
Veteran Member

These are learned behaviours that might be the norm for a particular group but a bit different to the way that I might act, and no doubt I do or think a lot of things or value things that might seem odd to another cultural group. But then according to my business partners, and my wife, my behaviour isnt all that normal for our cultural and socio economic group
Accent is perfect example of that, even better everyone in Catalonia speaking with a lisp.
Very few if any are every able to break from the handful of predictable stereotypes we fit into.
My friends who created the tobacco brands we know today will tell you there was a box every sucker self-associated with. Men were always looking the persona they never had, rugged, or fiercely independent.
It's like the non-conformists Goths, who all dress alike.

The Ftype was designed for a certain persona and projection. And it certainly wasnt a straight family guy who puts all his money into the best car he can put his entire family into.
It was decidedly designed for someone light on their feet, or aspiring to be.

Mind you the Etype was decidedly for a man who was planning to have a wife and children and of humble means.

Something you wrote stood out- socio economic group (look under his feet)

Note they make a point of Married. And not someone looking for bystander comments from other men in an alley.

BruceTheQuail (08-28-2019)
Old 08-28-2019 | 09:58 AM
Veteran Member

Oh I came here to post a tip on saving your car finish.

Yes generalize, dont take your car to places where people have no reverence for fancy things, and may even have an internal sense of jealousy or spite. Walmart, Trader Joe...TJ is the worst, hippies hate material things or indifferent towards it. 10 years of owning what was a supercar to me, guess the only place I ever got a nicked, TJ.

Old 08-28-2019 | 05:20 PM
Veteran Member

Those e-type ads are really interesting. I dont think Jag would have been particularly bothered about the marital status of their customers, but it is an interesting pitch - a sports car for the family guy. I remember maybe 15 years ago Toyota Australia was the first to pitch to what was seen at the time to be a different section of the community. I was having a beer with my 92 year old Maltese neighbor a few years back when the gay marriage plebicite was on over here was on (which generated quite a lot of angst and soul searching in Australia), said with reference to it (and read this in a strong Maltese accent) "Peter, what people do with their lives is their own business and none of mine - as long as they don't make it compulsory!".

fuzzysquid (08-28-2019)
Old 08-28-2019 | 06:11 PM
Banned

Those e-type ads are really interesting. I dont think Jag would have been particularly bothered about the marital status of their customers, but it is an interesting pitch - a sports car for the family guy. I remember maybe 15 years ago Toyota Australia was the first to pitch to what was seen at the time to be a different section of the community. I was having a beer with my 92 year old Maltese neighbor a few years back when the gay marriage plebicite was on over here was on (which generated quite a lot of angst and soul searching in Australia), said with reference to it (and read this in a strong Maltese accent) "Peter, what people do with their lives is their own business and none of mine - as long as they don't make it compulsory!".
"...as long as they don't make it compulsory!" Or attempt to proselytize it--which is what is happening in the U.S. now.

Old 08-29-2019 | 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

as long as they don't make it compulsory!".

Its somewhat compulsory in the Boy Scouts

Old 08-29-2019 | 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country

Its somewhat compulsory in the Boy Scouts
Very uncalled for, tasteless remark. Why not 'the Catholic Church '...

Old 08-29-2019 | 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

Cause the Church does not turn girls away.

BruceTheQuail (08-29-2019)
Old 08-29-2019 | 10:40 AM
scm
Veteran Member

It does if they want to be Pope.

The following 2 users liked this post by scm:
BruceTheQuail (08-29-2019), Queen and Country (08-29-2019)
Old 08-29-2019 | 01:41 PM
Veteran Member

Boy scouts don't either. My 22yr old daughter is a leader with the scouts in the Netherlands. She has been to the world jamboree in the US about a month a ago.
There were more girls there then boys, from all age groups. I don't know your age, but I guess its a youth trauma from anothere day and age..
And you should have tried the girl scouts, unless you were hunting for a boyfriend..

Last edited by Dan_NL; 08-29-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-29-2019 | 03:46 PM
Veteran Member

My apologies. There is always the other side of the coin and someone gets offended.

But you realize that there nothing I said that was inaccurate. They only just started taking girls in after losing the legal battle to keep them out.
Meanwhile they have 12,000 cases of abuse pending from when they did not.
I agree with your other point, its to be expected out of any large institution. These are after all human problems which they will take to wherever they go.

Old 08-30-2019 | 08:23 AM
Veteran Member

My apologies. There is always the other side of the coin and someone gets offended.

But you realize that there nothing I said that was inaccurate. They only just started taking girls in after losing the legal battle to keep them out.
Meanwhile they have 12,000 cases of abuse pending from when they did not.
I agree with your other point, its to be expected out of any large institution. These are after all human problems which they will take to wherever they go.
I was not going to chime in, as this discussion is totally inappropriate for this forum. However, your implication is so absurd that it requires some factual response. 12000 cases represents 0.01% of the scouting population over the years. By contrast, within the general population, 20% of girls and 5-10% of boys are victims of such abuse. I would conclude that Scouting remains a relatively safe harbor for children.

Lance
(yes, a proud Eagle Scout)

Dan_NL (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019 | 08:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
your implication is so absurd,12000 cases represents 0.01% of the scouting population over the years.
Scouting remains a relatively safe harbor for children.
I said the same in my statement below. However, its not absurd when you consider the percentage is supposed to be absolute zero; if they claim safe harbor and preach sexual morality. What percentage of cooks come out less competent after attending culinary discipline.

its to be expected out of any large institution. These are after all human problems which they will take to wherever they go.

Old 08-30-2019 | 09:04 AM
WJV

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
Well, it works the other way too. I went on a trip across the country [ 250kms, not a big country..],
and passed by the most relaxed dude I've seen in ages... He was driving a beatup pickup, with a rusty hood,
all original and with his window down on the highway...

I realised he has a V8 , doesn't pay roadtax [older then 40 years..] and never has to worry about a scratch or a dent....

Imagine that here everybody wants a newer car then the guy nextdoor, with more gadgets, preferably an EV [no roadtax]
and they think they all own the best car in the world...

There is something to say in favour of getting an old chevy pickup...

I recently bought an old '95 525i beater just for this purpose. It's nice to drive something that I don't have to fret over keeping it perfect, like the Jag (which now mostly just sits hermetically sealed in the garage).

Old 08-30-2019 | 09:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WJV
I .. the Jag (which now mostly just sits hermetically sealed in the garage).
The slogan from the sister brand Land Rover is ..

..so use the Jag & enjoy.. .. as long as you can..

Quick Reply: WTF is wrong with people?