Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xpel installed, tweaked the look - F-Type R Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017 | 12:29 PM
|
Banned
Smile Xpel installed, tweaked the look - F-Type R Coupe

When I got my F-Type, I had in mind a look I've always loved on particular cars. I know matte/satin (especially black) isn't very creative, but I love it. I had my wheels powder coated gloss black, and just got the car back after having Xpel installed. The body panels are Xpel Stealth (translucent), and the front splitter, rear diffuser, side skirts, mirrors, hood vents, and roof strip (piece aft of the glass roof) and window trim are all wrapped in Xpel Ultimate (transparent). I may black out the exhaust tips and badges too, along with possibly having the calipers painted blue (I'm not a fan of red anything, really) but I'm just happy to have it back right now. Between leaving it at the dealer for the powder coating (included as part of my purchase deal, along with putting on winter tires), and the 9 days it took to get the the film installed, it's actually been out of my hands nearly as long as it's been in my possession since I got it the week of Thanksgiving. I just tipped over 1k miles, so halfway through break-in.

Anyone who's in CT, check out Panache Autowerkes in Stratford. They're good guys and do good work. They're taking the car back for a day in a week to do a 'review' of how the film is curing/settling and will address an issues that arise. The film has a 10 year warranty from Xpel, and they assure me it includes labor, too. While I won't have the car but for a fraction of that time, it gives some peace of mind.

I can't wash it for at least a week, so I'll post more pics when I get it clean. I'm very happy with how it came out.

Xpel installed, tweaked the look - F-Type R Coupe-ticw5syh.jpg
Xpel installed, tweaked the look - F-Type R Coupe-zguzjpxh.jpg
Xpel installed, tweaked the look - F-Type R Coupe-6ulqux9h.jpg

The following users liked this post:
BruceTheQuail (12-19-2017)
Old 12-19-2017 | 12:36 PM
Veteran Member

I know quite a few people like this look. However, to me it is too dark and hides gorgeous F-type lines.

"Stealth" look is a good idea when you have an ugly car, F-type is not one.

ndabunka (12-23-2017)
Old 12-19-2017 | 12:40 PM

Looks sharp! And thanks for the review, i will be reaching out to them for the same services. If you don't mind me asking what did they get you for roughly? Have got a few numbers all over the map for wraps. Im in MA.

Old 12-19-2017 | 01:11 PM
|
Banned

Originally Posted by Itismejoshy
Looks sharp! And thanks for the review, i will be reaching out to them for the same services. If you don't mind me asking what did they get you for roughly? Have got a few numbers all over the map for wraps. Im in MA.
Thanks. Cost just about $7k all-in.

Be careful comparing in comparing vinyl wrap to paint protection film. They're two very different products. PPF is a film (hence the 'F"), while vinyl wraps are...vinyl. The PPF is a more expensive material, and as a result, the whole job is more expensive. That may be where some of the 'all over the map' is coming from. There's a lot of geographic disparity in pricing too. Depending on which film you use, you can expect to pay between $6k-$8k for PPF if you're doing the whole car. In my experience, vinyl wraps tend to run a little more than half that, or $2500-$4k for 'normal' colors. Some of the chrome wraps or weird **** like that can get pricey. There's also some disparity between brands...I went with Xpel, but there's 3m Suntek, Llumar etc. All have their champions and critics.

If you like the color of your car, you would generally do the clear PPF. That's less expensive than the 'stealth'. Also, most people don't do the whole car in PPF. They do the 'high impact' areas. Mirrors forward is common. Obviously if you want to change the color of your car, you go with vinyl. You could argue that I could've saved money by doing a satin vinyl wrap, as I changed the finish...I chose not to go that route because to do it properly, the shop needs to take off a lot of body panels. The PPF doesn't require nearly as much of that.

Itismejoshy (12-19-2017)
Old 12-19-2017 | 01:13 PM
|
Banned

Originally Posted by SinF
hides gorgeous F-type lines.
I find quite the opposite.

Old 12-19-2017 | 01:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sinjen
I find quite the opposite.
If it’s what you like, that’s all that matters. But it is hard to deny the murdered out look makes it all kinda blend together.

Old 12-19-2017 | 01:52 PM

I'm confused... what color is the car originally? Link to actual product used? It looks menacing, a nice mix of shiny and satin finishes.

Old 12-19-2017 | 02:17 PM
|
Banned

Originally Posted by Stohlen
If it’s what you like, that’s all that matters. But it is hard to deny the murdered out look makes it all kinda blend together.
Yeah I guess my eyes just see it differently. The metallic black paint caused far too many reflections and it's hard for me to see the curves. Plus I just like the look. Everyone has regular paint.

Originally Posted by 15FTypeR
I'm confused... what color is the car originally? Link to actual product used? It looks menacing, a nice mix of shiny and satin finishes.
Originally metallic black. This is installed on the body panels. This on the trim/diffusers etc, as described above.

Old 12-19-2017 | 02:50 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah I guess my eyes just see it differently. The metallic black paint caused far too many reflections and it's hard for me to see the curves. Plus I just like the look. Everyone has regular paint.
Oh I meant black in general, not just your variety. Black just hides everything.

The benefit of this decision is that you don’t have to worry about fine scratches. Gloss black paint is just terrible at hiding scratches!

Old 12-19-2017 | 02:55 PM
|
Banned

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Oh I meant black in general, not just your variety. Black just hides everything.

The benefit of this decision is that you don’t have to worry about fine scratches. Gloss black paint is just terrible at hiding scratches!
Ya...been fighting that losing fight for years, unfortunately. It's also terrible in the winter in my area. You just have to be willing to keep up with it or not. Hoping for little reprieve going this route. My shop is trying to get me to Ceramic Pro the thing too...of course they are. We'll see how this winter goes. I'm going to do the wheels, I can tell. The brake dust is bad. Not quite as bad as my Audi was, but bad enough.

Old 12-19-2017 | 03:10 PM
Veteran Member

I'm normally not a huge fan of black or charcoal and thought on the XKR it hid the curves a bit. I like the look of black or very dark f types on the road, though, the LEDs really set them off and the car looks much more menacing. I think Sinjen's will look pretty intimidating coming at you.

The F Pace is another Jag that looks awesome in black when it is on the road, IMO.

Old 12-19-2017 | 03:18 PM
Banned

I did a matte blue metalliac ghost on my F150 Raptor. There are a lot of beautiful choices out there now, surprised you went with the most common one.

Old 12-19-2017 | 03:26 PM
|
Banned

Originally Posted by sts-v
I did a matte blue metalliac ghost on my F150 Raptor. There are a lot of beautiful choices out there now, surprised you went with the most common one.
Well because I like it the best. I prefer not to make decisions based on what other people have or don't.

Old 12-19-2017 | 03:30 PM

Just do not like matte finished vehicles. Look like they were painted with a Krylon can.

Jagged Wire (12-22-2017)
Old 12-19-2017 | 03:32 PM
|
Banned

Originally Posted by MV Rider
Just do not like matte finished vehicles. Look like they were painted with a Krylon can.
A lot of people share that sentiment. This is more satin than matte, especially in person as will get moreso as it cures, but it's the same general feeling from most, in my experience.

Old 12-19-2017 | 03:35 PM
Banned

Attached Thumbnails Xpel installed, tweaked the look - F-Type R Coupe-21551928_10159387874980644_4345826001706715736_o.jpg  
Old 12-19-2017 | 03:44 PM

Well because I like it the best. I prefer not to make decisions based on what other people have or don't.
It looks really nice. That's certainly an upgrade to an already stunning car

Old 12-19-2017 | 03:48 PM
Veteran Member

I’m confused about why there are so many things wrong with this raptor...

Old 12-19-2017 | 03:48 PM
|
Banned

Originally Posted by FType17
It looks really nice. That's certainly an upgrade to an already stunning car
Thanks. I thought so. I was actually going to have the wheels done while the car was being done as to kill two birds with one stone. I decided to spend the extra time and do the wheels first, so I could see them done with the car totally metallic black. There was a chance I would've saved some money and done the whole thing in clear. I decided to stick with the stealth/gloss contract and I'm glad I did.

Old 12-19-2017 | 03:59 PM
|
Banned

Uh, yeah. To each his own.

Quick Reply: Xpel installed, tweaked the look - F-Type R Coupe