Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xpel installed, tweaked the look - F-Type R Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 07:17 PM
Banned
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by XPEL
This looks absolutely fantastic! Thank you for choosing XPEL to protect your beautiful Jaguar. We love how STEALTH hugs those body lines making this already stunning car even better looking.

If interested, email me your address and t-shirt size so I can send an XPEL swag pack. - mdobbins@xpel.com -

Don't hesitate to reach out with any questions you may have.

Regards,

Michael Dobbins
Marketing Manager
XPEL Technologies Corp.
mdobbins@xpel.com

I'm guessing this is the post that has admins PMing me making the the assumption I work with or for Xpel...as it quotes my OP.

I don't. I work nowhere in or near the automotive industry, even tangentially. I paid a lot to have the film applied by a shop over an hour away from my home, to my personal car that I bought less than a month ago.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:23 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sinjen
When I got my F-Type, I had in mind a look I've always loved on particular cars. I know matte/satin (especially black) isn't very creative, but I love it. I had my wheels powder coated gloss black, and just got the car back after having Xpel installed. The body panels are Xpel Stealth (translucent), and the front splitter, rear diffuser, side skirts, mirrors, hood vents, and roof strip (piece aft of the glass roof) and window trim are all wrapped in Xpel Ultimate (transparent). I may black out the exhaust tips and badges too, along with possibly having the calipers painted blue (I'm not a fan of red anything, really) but I'm just happy to have it back right now. Between leaving it at the dealer for the powder coating (included as part of my purchase deal, along with putting on winter tires), and the 9 days it took to get the the film installed, it's actually been out of my hands nearly as long as it's been in my possession since I got it the week of Thanksgiving. I just tipped over 1k miles, so halfway through break-in.

Anyone who's in CT, check out Panache Autowerkes in Stratford. They're good guys and do good work. They're taking the car back for a day in a week to do a 'review' of how the film is curing/settling and will address an issues that arise. The film has a 10 year warranty from Xpel, and they assure me it includes labor, too. While I won't have the car but for a fraction of that time, it gives some peace of mind.

I can't wash it for at least a week, so I'll post more pics when I get it clean. I'm very happy with how it came out.

That thing looks like a beast. I love it. Great job.

The following users liked this post:
Sinjen (01-08-2018)
Old 12-20-2017, 10:50 PM
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

i love the satin/matte look. nice work

Sinjen (01-08-2018)
Old 12-22-2017, 06:18 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That's a bad bad kitty. Nicely done.

Sinjen (01-08-2018)
Old 12-23-2017, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Thanks. Cost just about $7k all-in.
SEVEN GRAND?!?!?!
Holy crap batman, talk about disposable income. No WAY in the world that is justified. Crazy what some people throw money away at.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:29 PM

Ndabunka, you must be channeling my wife. That’s what’s he keeps telling me in regards to the freaking car. Bollocks!!!

ndabunka (12-24-2017)
Old 12-24-2017, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Abarak
Ndabunka, you must be channeling my wife. That’s what’s he keeps telling me in regards to the freaking car. Bollocks!!!
Mine as well with the car itself but at least she "endures" it because she knows it makes me happy. However, an EXTRA $7K to simply .. make it look "slightly" different would be considered an unworthy luxury. The fact that these cars are fairly rare means that we hardly ever see another in our area & that in and of itself gets them noticed. Therefore there really would be no logical justification for changing it's thin skin (aka color & texture appearance) but that may not be the case if one were to be roaming the land of Lambo's, Ferrari's & Astons on a daily basis so perhaps this gentleman feels it's necessary. Then again, if you do have an extra $7K to blow, wouldn't you buy one of the other alternatives?

Old 12-24-2017, 11:24 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Mine as well with the car itself but at least she "endures" it because she knows it makes me happy. However, an EXTRA $7K to simply .. make it look "slightly" different would be considered an unworthy luxury. The fact that these cars are fairly rare means that we hardly ever see another in our area & that in and of itself gets them noticed. Therefore there really would be no logical justification for changing it's thin skin (aka color & texture appearance) but that may not be the case if one were to be roaming the land of Lambo's, Ferrari's & Astons on a daily basis so perhaps this gentleman feels it's necessary. Then again, if you do have an extra $7K to blow, wouldn't you buy one of the other alternatives?
His car, his choice, his money, it’s what makes HIM happy.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Last edited by Andy2017; 12-24-2017 at 11:26 AM.
FType17 (12-24-2017)
Old 12-24-2017, 11:39 AM

You must not be married Andy or you would know it’s not his money—it’s hers��

Old 12-24-2017, 11:49 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ha ha! I am but I get what you are saying.

Old 12-24-2017, 02:25 PM
Received 253 Likes on 171 Posts

Personally, I can't understand how this thread gets hijacked by some Raptor (junk in my opinion) when the OP posted an informative thread. I liked the end result, many have not seen how truly unique this coloring is. I first loved this finish when I saw a Mercedes S Coupe done that way. It's his car, his liking and his money... To discuss a Raptor in this thread is pretty much out of place. IMHO. Sinjen, it looks AWESOME and since you are local, I can't wait to see it.

Old 12-24-2017, 02:27 PM
Received 253 Likes on 171 Posts

I am married and I agree ;-)

If he isn't then he is smart spending it on something that will not let him down ;-) Nor will he ever need to share it or split it

Old 12-24-2017, 04:58 PM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

no logical justification for
buying one in the first place, if we go to extremes...
And this comes from a conservation biologist that was looking at hybrids
"If it feels good, do it" (as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else...)

Old 12-24-2017, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Misujerr
buying one in the first place, if we go to extremes...
And this comes from a conservation biologist that was looking at hybrids
"If it feels good, do it" (as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else...)
Here is a Lambo done as a dip... I guess it's different from the film but the end result appears similar

Last edited by ndabunka; 12-24-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Burt Gummer (12-25-2017)
Old 01-03-2018, 02:40 PM
Banned
Wink

Just catching up on this thread...lmao. This is awesome.

It's amazing how much people love to have their hands in other people's pockets. I can completely respect some of the simple statements like

I know quite a few people like this look. However, to me it is too dark and hides gorgeous F-type lines.
or even

Just do not like matte finished vehicles. Look like they were painted with a Krylon can.
At least those are substantive opinions, that give others insight as to why or why not someone may or may not do it. Maybe someone was thinking that they sort of liked the look, saw mine and weren't yet sold. Maybe then, they read the comment about it looking like cheap paint and that hit the nail non the head for them...and they look elsewhere. That's the point of the post. To share and give ideas. (Not, for example, to push a particular product like the admin that PM'd me thought, somehow). Forums give us the chance to look at what others with the same interests are doing. Sharing ideas, helping solve problems, etc etc.

However, semi-literate, unlettered nonsense statements like:

I did a matte blue metalliac ghost on my F150 Raptor. There are a lot of beautiful choices out there now, surprised you went with the most common one.
(talking about a 6 year old F150 that's not a Raptor, that looks terrible...lol. )

No WAY in the world that is justified. Crazy what some people throw money away at.
You're married.

Then again, if you do have an extra $7K to blow, wouldn't you buy one of the other alternatives?
Again, married...

Those statements say more about you than than they do about me. It's remarkable, really. Value is so subjective, and you'd think a community of car lovers, of all people would get that. However I routinely see the opposite. Some clown argued with me the other day that an F-Type is stupid. No "real car guy" would buy an F-Type. That's because a 1LE Camaro is faster, cheaper etc. No ****, *******. It's like no one spending $100k on a car knows that there are some a bit cheaper or a bit more expensive that do other things better or worse. Brilliant assessment. A Z06 will out run, in a straight line and on a track, essentially any exotic. Are those buyers "stupid"? Are they not "real cars guys"?

Same thing with pricing of accessories or aftermarket parts. Who gets to say whether spending $X on whatever is 'worth' it? We buy what we buy because we want to. Simple as that.

I didn't buy one of the alternatives because I wanted this car. I powder coated the wheels gloss black because I wanted gloss black wheels without the OEM 3 bolts/fastener look. I had stealth PPF done, and paid what I paid because I wanted to...and I don't have some nagging wildebeast wife to tell what I can or can't do, or have to live in austerity to save for junior or missy's college fund. I literally ask the same questions about guys getting married and having kids that I get asked about my car buying decisions. It's hilarious.

I've actually said here and elsewhere, that I'd prob just do vinyl wrap next time and save some cash. But you know what? I think I'll just give the shop $7k again to aggravate people I don't even know exist.

You know what I wouldn't personally throw $Gs away at? A rock that inextricably attached me to one woman for the 'rest of my life'. I don't have, and will never have a nagging wife or sniveling offspring, so let's call that, as near as makes no difference to $2m, marked to the market, in my pocket over the next 20 odd years. Buys a lotttttttt of fancy cars, PPF and other sundry fun things.

Last edited by Sinjen; 01-03-2018 at 10:44 PM. Reason: sp
ndabunka (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member

Just catching up on this thread...lmao. This is awesome. It's amazing how much people love to have their hands in other people's pockets. I can completely respect some of the simple statements like...

I've actually said here and elsewhere, that I'd prob just do vinyl wrap next time and save some cash. But you know what? I think I'll just give the shop $7k again to aggravate people I don't even know exist.
LOL
Interesting rant and I do mean that constructively/positive. Over the years I have seen a lot of friends and acquaintances toss a lot of coin at things like wheels, CQuartz and more lately... wraps (heck a friend of mine just started a MAJOR wrap business on the other side of the lake so I know done right they will look PERFECT) but I also know that to do they "right" they can cost big $s.

"Doing Wraps" appears to be one of THE "in" things right now so much so that certain groups completely ignore the factory paint because they have no intention of ever seeing it and their friend's 1st question is "which wrap are ya gonna put on her" as if wrapping a car is almost more common than the paint protectorant that also has it's own following.

In the end it's your $'s so do what you want.

Old 01-03-2018, 03:08 PM
Banned

LOL
toss a lot of coin at things like wheels, CQuartz and more lately...
but I also know that to do they "right" they can cost big $s.
Nice **** is expensive.

"Doing Wraps" appears to be one of THE "in" things right now so much so that certain groups completely ignore the factory paint because they have no intention of ever seeing it and their friend's 1st question is "which wrap are ya gonna put on her" as if wrapping a car is almost more common than the paint protectorant that also has it's own following.
People are very serious about not having swirled, chipped paint. If you care about those things, there are only a few solutions.

In the end it's your $'s so do what you want.
Ya, that's the general idea.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Just catching up on this thread...lmao. This is awesome.

It's amazing how much people love to have their hands in other people's pockets. I can completely respect some of the simple statements like

or even

At least those a substantive opinions, that give others insight as to why or why not someone may or may not do it. Maybe someone was thinking that they sort of liked the look, saw mine and weren't yet sold. Maybe then, they read the comment about it looking like cheap paint and that hit the nail non the head for them...and they look elsewhere. That's the point of the post. To share and give ideas. (Not, for example, to push a particular product like the admin that PM'd me thought, somehow). Forums give us the chance to look at what others with the same interests are doing. Sharing ideas, helping solve problems, etc etc.

However, semi-literate, unlettered nonsense statements like:

(talking about a 6 year old F150 that's not a Raptor, that looks terrible...lol. )

You're married.

Again, married...

Those statements say more about you than than they do about me. It's remarkable, really. Value is so subjective, and you'd think a community of car lovers, of all people would get that. However I routinely see the opposite. Some clown argued with me the other day that an F-Type is stupid. No "real car guy" would buy an F-Type. That's because a 1LE Camaro is faster, cheaper etc. No ****, *******. It's like no one spending $100k on a car knows that there are some a bit cheaper or a bit more expensive that do other things better or worse. Brilliant assessment. A Z06 will out run, in a straight line and on a track, essentially any exotic. Are those buyers "stupid"? Are they not "real cars guys"?

Same thing with pricing of accessories or aftermarket parts. Who gets to say whether spending $X on whatever is 'worth' it? We buy what we buy because we want to. Simple as that.

I didn't buy one of the alternatives because I wanted this car. I powder coated the wheels gloss black because I wanted gloss black wheels without the OEM 3 bolts/fastener look. I had stealth PPF done, and paid what I paid because I wanted to...and I don't have some nagging wildebeast wife to tell what I can or can't do, or have to live in austerity to save for junior or missy's college fund. I literally ask the same questions about guys getting married and having kids that I get asked about my car buying decisions. It's hilarious.

You know what I wouldn't personally throw $Gs away at? A rock that inextricably attached me to one woman for the 'rest of my life'. I don't have, and will never have a nagging wife or sniveling offspring, so let's call that, as near as makes no difference to $2m, marked to the market, in my pocket over the next 20 odd years. Buys a lotttttttt of fancy cars, PPF and other sundry fun things.

Nice thoughtful post. Thank you.

Sinjen (01-08-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 12:50 PM
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by FType17
Personally, I can't understand how this thread gets hijacked by some Raptor (junk in my opinion) when the OP posted an informative thread. I liked the end result, many have not seen how truly unique this coloring is. I first loved this finish when I saw a Mercedes S Coupe done that way. It's his car, his liking and his money... To discuss a Raptor in this thread is pretty much out of place. IMHO. Sinjen, it looks AWESOME and since you are local, I can't wait to see it.
Does your pointless trolling ever end? Still mad about the V6 comments huh lol

Old 01-06-2018, 09:24 PM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts
Default I'll probably be banished from this site for this, but...

)

:
Not singling anyone out here, and don't mean to offend. It's just comments like the above get my attention.

I make my living providing low income housing. There are some generally wonderful, hard working people in my buildings that get up at 5:00 a.m., six days a week, to work for wages most of us would find ridiculous. Even with working 70 hour work weeks and living modestly, their discretionary income each month is just a few hundred $$.

If those of us who are more fortunate than the folks I am describing (through perhaps privilege of birth, luck, talent, intelligence or an even greater work ethic) could just keep some perspective, we might not have over 50% of millennials in the USA in favor of socialism.

The animosity towards the top 1, 5, and 10% is growing. Maybe one part of the solution would involve those in the upper echelons rediscovering the value of reinvesting in their fellow citizens. Perhaps something substantial like a college endowment, or smaller, like a bonus for an employee or an oversize tip for a hospitality worker serving us on a holiday, or an anonymous gift to a neighbor, etc. The possibilities are endless, and the impact on society can be equally impressive.

Not in anyway suggesting there is anything wrong with enjoying the fruits of one's labor, and I'm obviously a car fanatic and am not against enjoying a hobby. Just think like many things in life, a little balance and perspective can make all things better.

Walking away from my soap box now...

The following 2 users liked this post by Chawumba:
Jayt2 (01-07-2018), ndabunka (01-07-2018)

Quick Reply: Xpel installed, tweaked the look - F-Type R Coupe