F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xpel/Paint Protection Film 'Maintenance'

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 04:09 PM
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Xpel/Paint Protection Film 'Maintenance'

Ok - I'm almost ready to put $4K down to wrap the entire car with Xpel Ultimate. If you have a 'wrapped' car can you share with me what your washing/detailing regimen is? Website says to use Xpel PPF Sealant every 3 months. Are you waxing the car in addition to that or would Xpel PPF Sealant be in place of? In the past I try to avoid water washes and use Meguiar's 'Ultimate Quik Detailer' with a microfiber cloth (almost daily) to get rid of any water spots or stray bugs splat. Do those of you with Xpel use something similar? What have you found works best? I see Xpel sells Xpel PPF 'Cleaner'. I get the sense that would too harsh to use daily like I do with the Meguiar Quik Detailer. My regular detailer had used a Teflon treatment that made my non-wrapped cars super slippery and shiny. He doesn't have a lot of experience with Xpel and I'm nervous to let him near the car after it's wrapped.

Can you do/what works best for you?

Thx!

Old 11-11-2015, 04:37 PM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

I just wash it and use Zaino both on the Xpel'd and the naked parts.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by DuhCar
+1-- just hand-wash with a quality, carwash product, microfiber towel dry, and wax once or twice a year, just as you would an unwrapped, painted surface. Detailer sprays are fine, and I also use them on mine.

You really don't need the products marketed by Xpel, but yes, they do the same thing as any other protective wax/coating.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-11-2015 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by DuhCar
+2. I do the same thing with a similar product offered by my Xpel installer.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:05 AM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts
Thumbs up

Every surface, except for the grill surround is wrapped on my FTR with Xpel Ultimate.

I use filtered water in a bucket, no detergents or shampoos needed, and a MF to clean the Xpel.

Use QD's (Have Megs, Poorboys, Carnubas) for a quick shine. But after a lot of testing Pledge Lemon works a treat. Gives the same shine and feel as the proper Xpel film polish!

I do occasionally use a Zymol concours, but can't help feel I'm wasting time and money using automotive paint polishes on plastic film.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:14 AM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

I like the beading effect after a rain. When that disappears I know it's time to put on more Zaino.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

Never touch my car. My car is wrapped and Quartz'ed. Dirt rinses right off. I have a powerwasher, foam lance and masterblaster blow dryer ... takes less than half hour and car has no scratches.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:48 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default PPF Care

I own a 2015 XF which is my second Jaguar that I had paint protection film applied on.

My installer uses X Pel and also Sun Tek films which is what he used on both of my installations. He is authorized in both brands and bases his recommendations of which brand to use depending on the circumstances. The difference in the cost of these two brands is negligible. His entire business is installing PPF film and he has been at this for many years. The majority of his clients own high end cars.

I don't know if this is still true but I remember him saying that I should not use any wax with carnauba in it. It was believed that this type of wax resulted in premature yellowing of film. I don't know if this is still the case with the newer films but I still stay away from carnauba on the sections with film and use a good polymer paint sealant which he said was OK.

Car wash soaps are fine and my rinse less Ultima Waterless makes the film even more shiny and slick feeling. I have found these films to be quite strong and have even used polish and a mild compound with my dual action polisher on the film to clean up some hard water etching that would not come off with regular washing. This had no effect on the overall shine or strength of the PPF film.

Ed

Old 11-12-2015, 04:33 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

For hard water spots, my PPF installer recommends a white vinegar/water mix (50/50). I'm yet to try it myself but definitely have a few spots I need to remove next time I wash it.

I can't remember if he recommended de-ionised water to mix with the vinegar, but I bought some anyway!

Old 11-12-2015, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by spanky145

My installer uses X Pel and also Sun Tek films which is what he used on both of my installations. He is authorized in both brands and bases his recommendations of which brand to use depending on the circumstances. The difference in the cost of these two brands is negligible. His entire business is installing PPF film and he has been at this for many years. The majority of his clients own high end cars.

I don't know if this is still true but I remember him saying that I should not use any wax with carnauba in it. It was believed that this type of wax resulted in premature yellowing of film. I don't know if this is still the case with the newer films but I still stay away from carnauba on the sections with film and use a good polymer paint sealant which he said was OK.

Car wash soaps are fine and my rinse less Ultima Waterless makes the film even more shiny and slick feeling. I have found these films to be quite strong and have even used polish and a mild compound with my dual action polisher on the film to clean up some hard water etching that would not come off with regular washing. This had no effect on the overall shine or strength of the PPF film.

Ed

There is no problem with using carnauba wax. The yellowing was caused from some type of petroleum based waxes and polishes. Some people don't like using carnauba simply because it may accumulate along the seams and show a white line. If you have a good installer, they will wrap the edges and there will be no seams.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJagR
There is no problem with using carnauba wax. The yellowing was caused from some type of petroleum based waxes and polishes. Some people don't like using carnauba simply because it may accumulate along the seams and show a white line. If you have a good installer, they will wrap the edges and there will be no seams.
I'll be quite curious to see your car (when you are here for the 2016 Jaguar Lobster Run) as well as others who have wrapped their car; seamlessly. My installer - and being in the State of Maine I was seriously limited to installers (like one?!), and didn't feel like driving to MA - is authorized for both XPel and Sun Tek and he suggested the Sun Tek and I do think he did a great job. Having said that, the pre-cut Sun Tek stops abruptly on the hood fender. Interestingly, it doesn't bother me at all. Until I see your car(s). Then it might .

Last edited by RickyJay52; 11-12-2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

not wanting to hijack this thread.... Going over to Lobster Run thread... :-)

Old 11-13-2015, 11:41 AM

RickyJay52,

My installer who used Sun Tek as opposed to X Pel Ultimate, insisted that the hood piece be custom fabricated and not from their pre cut kit. In fact, much of the work that he does is custom cut whether he is using X Pel Ultimate or Sun Tek. My car is highly metallic and in my case, he felt that the overall clarity of the Sun Tek film would be better than if he used X Pel Ultimate since he believed that the Sun Tek would allow the metallic effect to come through better. For other cars he may use X Pel Ultimate. It all depends on the situation and I tend to go with his recommendations since he has done three cars for me already and I have always been very pleased with the results.

All edges were wrapped slightly under the hood and sealed using heat lamps. The film is virtually undetectable and blends with the fenders beautifully. Several installers who have seen the car after the work was done have been very complimentary about the outcome. I suppose that PPF installers each have their own techniques and preferences based on their past experiences.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

RickyJay52,

My installer who used Sun Tek as opposed to X Pel Ultimate, insisted that the hood piece be custom fabricated and not from their pre cut kit. In fact, much of the work that he does is custom cut whether he is using X Pel Ultimate or Sun Tek. My car is highly metallic and in my case, he felt that the overall clarity of the Sun Tek film would be better than if he used X Pel Ultimate since he believed that the Sun Tek would allow the metallic effect to come through better. For other cars he may use X Pel Ultimate. It all depends on the situation and I tend to go with his recommendations since he has done three cars for me already and I have always been very pleased with the results.

All edges were wrapped slightly under the hood and sealed using heat lamps. The film is virtually undetectable and blends with the fenders beautifully. Several installers who have seen the car after the work was done have been very complimentary about the outcome. I suppose that PPF installers each have their own techniques and preferences based on their past experiences.
Thanks spanky145. Had I been inclined back when I got my car - mid-Oct of last year - to drive out of state, I likely would have "researched" several installers but since I like using local businesses, challenging as that might be here in the State of Maine, I used the only installer of XPEL and SunTek I could find. He too uses both and, like yours, recommended Sun Tek (mine is Stratus Grey). My wife, just this morning, mentioned "that" seam on the front fenders - without my bringing it up at all - and I reiterated that they really don't bother me.

I am pleased that I have protection where I do - full hood, full front, fenders, headlights, side-mirrors and rocker panels - and think he did a great job in spite of the seam. Sure I wish he wrapped it all seamlessly but it is what it is. A $2,000 job. (Maybe next time I'll drive down to New Jersey and use your guy ).

Best regards,
Jay

Old 11-13-2015, 02:39 PM
Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

RickyJay52,

I'm getting an estimate tomorrow. Did you use an installer in NJ ? I'm going to PA for the estimate based on dealer recommendation.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:46 PM

Hi Jay,

I know that this is not of much use to you now, but if you are interested, you can Google leeberbs and then click on his Facebook page which is where he shows many of the jobs that he has done. You will see some amazing cars.

I will be in the same boat as you regarding shopping for an installer since my installer who has been a fixture in the NJ PPF world for many years, is spending less time in NJ while he is opening a new shop somewhere near Tampa Florida. He is currently going back and forth between states but I think that his plan is to move to Florida permanently. Oh well! At this point I think that he is in his NJ shop perhaps one week per month for now.

Take care,
Ed

The following 2 users liked this post by spanky145:
99Gsp (11-13-2015), RickyJay52 (11-13-2015)
Old 11-13-2015, 02:50 PM
Default NJ Installer

Hi 99GSP,

Yes, my installer was Lee Berbs from Hillsborough NJ which is not far from Princeton. Please see my above posting to Jay regarding Lee's current status. I am not sure about his availability at this time.

Take care,

Ed

The following users liked this post:
99Gsp (11-13-2015)
Old 11-13-2015, 02:53 PM
Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks Ed. I'll take a look at his site. Going to Seven Wraps tomorrow in Southampton PA to view their work.

Regards

Allen

Old 11-14-2015, 09:08 AM
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default BRG?

Has anyone wrapped a car that is BRG? My installer only had flatter colors in his shop (white, black) and I didn't have a chance to see how a metallic color like BRG looks. Just hoping it doesn't dull with Xpel Ultimate. He quoted me $1895 for entire front end (bumper, hood, rockers), another $250 for each door, or $4K for the entire car. I'm leaning toward doing the whole car but still not 100% sure I'm doing the right thing on a BRG car that looks so gorgeous naked.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:55 AM
Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

I wrapped the entire car and it is Ultimate Black, which is a metallic. Before I agreed, he put a piece of xPel on the hood so I could see the difference. There wasn't any so I said yes and the results look good to me. My cost was $3,500.