Sponsored by:

Yeah, baby!...The MT may not be dead

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2019 | 10:38 AM
|
Veteran Member
Default Yeah, baby!...The MT may not be dead

https://autoweek.com/article/sema-sh...x-speed-manual

With the optional 10kw sound system, motor speed modulated ICE soundtrack and externally mounted Klipschorns, the EV era might not be a total bust.

The following users liked this post:
bb_sam (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019 | 11:41 AM

How a manual contributes to the EV drive experience remains to be seen
Yeah, this should be an interesting transition going to a manual transmission on an EV. Not sure what advantage that would make though...

Old 11-06-2019 | 11:45 AM

Probably a publicity stunt, a clutch to handle that much power and instant TQ will have to have so many nannies on it to be deemed reliable and warranty. You’d be able to light the tires up at any moment. That being said I’m in 😎

89 Jacobra (11-11-2019)
Old 11-06-2019 | 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

I don't think the manual is dead. I do however think it will be limited to a few brands: Porsche, BMW, Aston Martin, and American brands.

89 Jacobra (11-11-2019)
Old 11-06-2019 | 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

I am 101% for manual transmissions, but electric car doesn't need one. That is, my understanding that electric cars don't need transmission at all, as full torque available right away and there is no reason why electric motor can't go to 20,000 RPM.

Old 11-06-2019 | 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by FeralSVR
Yeah, this should be an interesting transition going to a manual transmission on an EV. Not sure what advantage that would make though...
I've found that "fun" and "practical" are often in opposition.

Old 11-06-2019 | 01:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
I am 101% for manual transmissions, but electric car doesn't need one. That is, my understanding that electric cars don't need transmission at all, as full torque available right away and there is no reason why electric motor can't go to 20,000 RPM.
True, but one gear transmissions would give the same driving engagement as a ride-on mower. Fine for people who want to go very fast from the lights, but not really all that much fun on a twisty mountain road.

Old 11-06-2019 | 01:48 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by FeralSVR
+1.

Old 11-06-2019 | 01:49 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
True, but one gear transmissions would give the same driving engagement as a ride-on mower. Fine for people who want to go very fast from the lights, but not really all that much fun on a twisty mountain road.
That was my experience with driving the Tesla roadster.

Old 11-06-2019 | 03:45 PM

Manual transmission on EVs actually helps the range & top speed, that's the reason why the Taycan comes with a 2-speed gearbox (granted, it's automatic, I don't know if you can use it "manually" but the gears are "there"). You'll also find a manual gearbox in Formula E for these reasons (on top of being a regulation thing). But yeah there's a good chance it'll be limited to a few luxury brands, most people don't care.

Old 11-06-2019 | 11:25 PM
Veteran Member

This is Ford's answer to the gamechanging mid-engine Corvette.

In this context...
3 guys in a sauna,
Brit keeps looking at his bare wrist, apparently he has the latest fitness monitor installed beneath the skin.
Japanese gent is browsing the web on his glasses.
Seeing all this the Canadian storms out and returns with a piece of toilet paper hanging from his bum and proclaims, 'will you look at that, looks like I am getting a fax'

Noshame (11-07-2019)
Old 11-07-2019 | 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
True, but one gear transmissions would give the same driving engagement as a ride-on mower.
I disagree. Go Kart racing is still fun.

Part of skill of driving a manual transmission mated to an internal combustion engine is the art of keeping it in the power band and the skill of smooth shifting in all circumstances. With the electric motor power band is everywhere and you won't have much of rotational engine inertia so re-matching would be unnecessary and pointless. That is, the MT experience will be already compromised.

It is like the engine noises through speakers, not a real deal even if it is hard to tell.

I would rather have pure electric car experience - no fake noises, no shifting and just *****-out acceleration - so I can make the most of that platform while racing it. Let see if we can hit 1.5G lateral in a street-legal electric car - with a low center of gravity and some dynamically adjustable suspension geometry it should be doable.

Last edited by SinF; 11-07-2019 at 11:43 AM.
Uncle Fishbits (11-09-2019)
Old 11-07-2019 | 02:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bouncyjoe
Manual transmission on EVs actually helps the range & top speed, that's the reason why the Taycan comes with a 2-speed gearbox
And a turbo.

Old 11-07-2019 | 07:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
I disagree. Go Kart racing is still fun.

I would rather have pure electric car experience - no fake noises, no shifting and just *****-out acceleration - so I can make the most of that platform while racing it. Let see if we can hit 1.5G lateral in a street-legal electric car - with a low center of gravity and some dynamically adjustable suspension geometry it should be doable.
Cheers, if they could get an electric car to handle as well as a go cart, I'd be with you. But there isnt one of them yet that does as far as I am aware. The iPace handles well for an electric car, but watching it on a track you can see the mass, so really they are still a bit of a one trick pony.

All of that said, when I am on a tight track I dont use the paddles because I get a bit confused, but I love them on a twisty road.

I also quite like the enhanced noise - we have it in the XE and it sounds great. It is kind of a guilty pleasure as I know that as a car person I should sneer at it.

Old 11-07-2019 | 07:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Unhingd
https://autoweek.com/article/sema-sh...x-speed-manual

With the optional 10kw sound system, motor speed modulated ICE soundtrack and externally mounted Klipschorns, the EV era might not be a total bust.
Why ICE? I think a speed modulated horse and buggy sound would be better. Or what about a spaceship worble? An elephant stampede would be great too, with more frenzied trumpeting near redline. The fart sound is taken, but as long as we're low key making fun of the customer, let's think unconstrained.

The following 2 users liked this post by RacerX:
Queen and Country (11-08-2019), SinF (11-08-2019)
Old 11-08-2019 | 04:22 AM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RacerX
Why ICE? I think a speed modulated horse and buggy sound would be better. Or what about a spaceship worble? An elephant stampede would be great too, with more frenzied trumpeting near redline. The fart sound is taken, but as long as we're low key making fun of the customer, let's think unconstrained.
Agreed. I propose this sound:

Old 11-08-2019 | 09:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Agreed. I propose this sound:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CvxdJkFf2Mo
Yes!! But could we do it with pops and crackles?

scm (11-08-2019)
Old 11-08-2019 | 01:35 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RacerX
Yes!! But could we do it with pops and crackles?
Yes, we could superimpose 50 mm cannon fire over the sound on deceleration. I got it all figured out.

Old 11-11-2019 | 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

Wired had a GREAT article on this, explains a bit more from Aston's perspective, etc.
https://www.wired.com/story/aston-ma...-shift-manual/

I do wonder... if 20% of Porsche row their own, what is it with Jag take rate? Is it that Porsche is sports car mentality, and Jag is still luxury car mentality for most consumers?

Old 11-11-2019 | 02:30 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
Wired had a GREAT article on this, explains a bit more from Aston's perspective, etc.
https://www.wired.com/story/aston-ma...-shift-manual/

I do wonder... if 20% of Porsche row their own, what is it with Jag take rate? Is it that Porsche is sports car mentality, and Jag is still luxury car mentality for most consumers?
The take rate for MTs on the F-Type is below 7%, well short of the 10% rate that Jag said they needed to keep the option viable. Hence, no more MT available on new F-Types.

Quick Reply: Yeah, baby!...The MT may not be dead