F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another Potential CPO F-Type Buyer's Question Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 07:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Yet another Potential CPO F-Type Buyer's Question Thread

Preamble for TLDR post: What sort of out the door price am I looking at for CPO Convertible V8S, or maybe R's, with under 20,000 miles?

It's long passed the time to replace the current toy roadster I use as a daily driver. It's largely come down to choice I'm fairly sure more than a few American F-Type buyers have faced: CPO F-Type with a V8 or a new Corvette.

For me, I'm strongly leaning F-Type. After going up and down autotrader cars and some other websites for the past couple weeks I've seen several tempting V8S convertibles with under, to well under, 20,000 miles in the $57-$65,000 range. The biggest difference in options to me seems to be that about half have the Vision & Premium Packs with the other half also have the Performance Pack + Extended Leather + 770W stereo.

The asking price for all the CPO R convertibles is about $80,000. Living in the S.E. U.S. I never had to deal with this spring premium for convertibles before...

I know what sort of discounts and pricing structures work for corvettes, but the big question is, to the nearest grand or three, what sort of out the door price on am I generally likely to see on an F-Type convertible with a V8 engine?

Long first post? long first post.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:13 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Definitely want the vision + premium packs. Extended leather is nice as well. Some colors only offered with extended leather.
As for price, you can wheel and deal like any other used car. It's gonna depend on what the dealer has in the car, how long it's been sitting there, yada, yada, yada. CPO will add about 2k to the price, but depending on the year, they already have 5 year warranty anyhow.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by drbill
Definitely want the vision + premium packs. Extended leather is nice as well. Some colors only offered with extended leather.
As for price, you can wheel and deal like any other used car. It's gonna depend on what the dealer has in the car, how long it's been sitting there, yada, yada, yada. CPO will add about 2k to the price, but depending on the year, they already have 5 year warranty anyhow.
Yeah, the CPO's I've been looking at are mainly in the $57-65K range. How far is wheeling and dealing likely to take me at this point in time? (And I haven't seen a single car listed without the vision pack, it's that about half the cars have the performance/extended/stereo options in addition to vision)

After accounting for tax, tag, possibly further extending the warranty beyond the 2 years from original service date that CPO adds, and dealer "fees," am I likely looking at asking? $2,500 less than ask? $5K less than ask? fifty bucks over ask?

Would it be unreasonable to see if a 2016 R convertible could be had, post tax, tag, and the rest for about $70K after all is said and done?

Old 06-29-2017, 10:02 AM
Received 125 Likes on 88 Posts

Note that with the 2016-and-onwards models, there are two flavors of CPO. If you read the Jaguar website closely, note that it says the CPO gives you "up to 7 years". There's a reason for that "up to". Those late models do come with the 5 year new car warranty (and 5 year free maintenance). But the dealers have the option of doing a 1-year or 2-year CPO warranty on top of that. I was told that the dealership has to pay Jaguar extra to issue the CPO warranty on the car, so it seems like the 1-year CPO is the default choice. Thus we are back to the nominal 6 year warranty starting with the in-service date.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:14 PM

I was curious about why so few cars seem to actually have a stated seven years from service date.

Also still a little surprised about the additional premium convertibles have over coupes in the used, er "pre-owned," market. While there was only about a $3,000 difference for the 2016's when new, used the gulf seems more like seven or eight. For the 14's and 15's that I've mostly been looking at, the difference is still looks like $5,000 for similar mileage.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:36 AM
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Couple things. I believe V8S was only offered til 2015 so will only come with 4 years warranty from the factory. You can purchase an additional one, two or three years of CPO. Most dealers that sell a CPO vehicle will only put one extra year on there to be able to say it's a CPO car.

Some folks from this board have found low mileage (less than 5k) fully optioned V8S for 55k. I paid 60k for mine which included the additional 2 years warranty plus all fees, registration etc. No tax since I live in Oregon. I didn't mind overpaying by a little since I was dead set on Firesand orange.

So as with many things the answer to your question really is it depends. Are you flexible on color, does the car have to be local or are you shopping nationwide, are you willing to buy the car from a non Jag dealer and add the CPO yourself? All these will influence the price. I would tell you to keep looking for the car that makes you grin like a kid in a candy shop and then negotiate hard. The "best" deal is always elusive. So what if you spent a grand more for getting the car you absolutely love.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by marcw
Couple things. I believe V8S was only offered til 2015 so will only come with 4 years warranty from the factory. You can purchase an additional one, two or three years of CPO. Most dealers that sell a CPO vehicle will only put one extra year on there to be able to say it's a CPO car.

Some folks from this board have found low mileage (less than 5k) fully optioned V8S for 55k. I paid 60k for mine which included the additional 2 years warranty plus all fees, registration etc. No tax since I live in Oregon. I didn't mind overpaying by a little since I was dead set on Firesand orange.

So as with many things the answer to your question really is it depends. Are you flexible on color, does the car have to be local or are you shopping nationwide, are you willing to buy the car from a non Jag dealer and add the CPO yourself? All these will influence the price. I would tell you to keep looking for the car that makes you grin like a kid in a candy shop and then negotiate hard. The "best" deal is always elusive. So what if you spent a grand more for getting the car you absolutely love.
Did not know about being able to pay and add CPO equivalent warranty myself, I thought the Jaguar extended warranty was not as full coverage and technically third party.

I've been looking nationally and for me the good colors are ultimate black, black, racing red, white, sapphire blue, as well as maybe stratus or salsa red. The ones I'm presently most interested in are asking in the low $60K's and very low mileage, but unfortunately lacking the performance pack.

I'm aware that R convertibles started in 2016. Right now the lowest asks are just under $80K for non-Jaguar dealers, with at least one "new" dealer demo in the mid 80's.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:36 PM
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OpenF
Did not know about being able to pay and add CPO equivalent warranty myself, I thought the Jaguar extended warranty was not as full coverage and technically third party.

I've been looking nationally and for me the good colors are ultimate black, black, racing red, white, sapphire blue, as well as maybe stratus or salsa red. The ones I'm presently most interested in are asking in the low $60K's and very low mileage, but unfortunately lacking the performance pack.

I'm aware that R convertibles started in 2016. Right now the lowest asks are just under $80K for non-Jaguar dealers, with at least one "new" dealer demo in the mid 80's.
You can indeed take a car to a Jag dealer and ask them to sell you CPO warranty for it. There are some conditions I believe for example the car can't have been in an accident. Prices for CPO warranty are somewhat negotiable. Personally I didn't see why I should spend an extra 20k to get an R over my V8S. The S is plenty fast with the V8 engine. Good luck and post some pics when you buy one

Old 06-30-2017, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Not involving an F-type, but last month we purchased a 2016 Lincoln MKX with 5900 miles on it. The dealer gave us the option of buying it as a CPO car or not. The difference was only $600, so we went with the CPO option because it DOUBLED the length of the factory warranty from 50,000 miles to 100,000 miles. Who wouldn't pay $600 for that? In other words, CPO status is negotiable as part of your deal.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:14 PM

Bought a low mileage 2014 V8S and it was recently delivered. Ultimate Black, black top, black interior, and nearly all the options. Buying a car from out of state felt more convoluted than buying my house.

Time to clean up what I didn't like from the pre-purchase inspection, order some carbon fiber bits, and get a really good detailing done.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by marcw
You can indeed take a car to a Jag dealer and ask them to sell you CPO warranty for it. There are some conditions I believe for example the car can't have been in an accident. Prices for CPO warranty are somewhat negotiable. Personally I didn't see why I should spend an extra 20k to get an R over my V8S. The S is plenty fast with the V8 engine. Good luck and post some pics when you buy one
When did this change? In the past the car had to be purchased thru the dealer.