F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you happy with your F-type base?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 06:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Are you happy with your F-type base?

There are some crazy good deals on F-type base leases now. Thinking of pulling the trigger on a coupe but not sure if I'll be happy with the base for 36 months. I have a truck to drive but I'll likely be driving the F-type 10k miles per years.

Thoughts?

Old 03-23-2017, 07:02 PM
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I really don't think you can go wrong with any F-TYPE. I've driven all versions of the vehicle (minus the SVR) and all have been awesome in their own way. I've owned a RWD V6 S vert for about 5 months now and have loved every minute of it. If you haven't driven one yet, I highly recommend a test drive. I leave my truck in the driveway every single time the weather permits.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:04 PM
Received 397 Likes on 210 Posts

To sum up; I'm indifferent. I come from a Honda background where fully loaded means EVERYTHING is included for 1/3 or even 1/4 the price of a base F-TYPE that is bare bones. As a result, I'll always have the mass market car brand mentality.

If you want performance, the F-TYPE "S" is the way to go. The F-TYPE base is good for cruising.

The following users liked this post:
Buckingham (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 07:49 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I got the F Type Premiumfor my wife, find that it has plenty of power, especially in dynamic mode and using paddle shifters, , super comfortable, and a great value! If you need more power VAP has a module that takes it to over 400 hp. It was a great choice!

Old 03-23-2017, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
If you want performance, the F-TYPE "S" is the way to go. The F-TYPE base is good for cruising.
For most people performance is flooring at the stoplight. As such, you won't notice difference between 2017 base and S. Both are V6 and S's gain is HPs (top speed). You will be long since arrested for reckless driving before noting the difference if you try to do comparison testing on the street.

Where performance matters is extras. LSD makes lots of difference in a RWD car. You can put down more power before slipping. Adjustable suspension can be hardened for track use.

Personally, my choice would be base. I'd rather save money. However, I have S as that what was available and the deal made it cheaper than ordering base.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:10 PM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I love my Base, but I don't need more than 340 hp - I still set off the nannies. Sounds great, looks great, feels great, is fast enough - except when compared to other F-Types ;-))

One big thing to consider is what options you're willing to live without - and the cost of living with them ;-)). The 340 hp configured the way I'd want to do it was $25k more than my base - and the Base was worth $58k to me, but the optioned car wasn't worth $85k - To ME.

If performance is one of your criteria, a tune ($1,000) will get something like 410 hp, 450 when combined ($1,500) with a pulley - exactly the same as an S with the same mods.

Last edited by FullChat; 03-23-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:34 PM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

My only "regret" with getting the base is the lack of LSD -- I drive mine all year round (ie during a Canadian winter). Even in the summer, I think the LSD would help in wet/rainy weather too.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:25 AM
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I am very happy with my base. I have the premium pack, performance seats, black pack, active exhaust, etc. I ended up with my car because it was a deal I could not pass up; a year old when I go it. I would have gotten the S for the LSD, but I do not regret my decision. I will add however that I purchased the VAP tune with the crank pulley just for the little extra kick.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by NigelW
I will add however that I purchased the VAP tune with the crank pulley just for the little extra kick.
Little? lol

Old 03-24-2017, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

I'm with Nigel, thought I was looking at a base but turned out the be Premium with all the extra boxes I would have ticked. Except red seat belts. Oh well, can't have everything I suppose ;-) And the VAP tune resolved the "should I go for an S instead"...

As the Snickers commercial says, no regerts...

Last edited by stmcknig; 03-24-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:24 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i have the base, only option is climate package (heated seats and steering wheel - $600 option) which I never use anyway

as a Jaguar, it's somewhat embarrassing that this car doesn't have standard backup camera, memory seats, full power adjustable seats, garage door opener... but it comes with navigation and bluetooth LOL

I believe backup camera is even an option on the $105k+ F type R.. correct me if im wrong

Some people rather have a cheaper car that is fully loaded... i prefer the look and feel of driving an F Type, so Im fine without some of these comfort features. I have my garage door remote on my sun visor, backup camera by Pearl RearVision, Im the only driver so no real need for memory seats, so I'm fine with the way it is.

and yes there are great leases now. If you are paying more than $400/m (tax included) with $0 down, you're paying too much

Old 03-24-2017, 07:01 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by supercat'dXKR
i have the base, only option is climate package (heated seats and steering wheel - $600 option) which I never use anyway

as a Jaguar, it's somewhat embarrassing that this car doesn't have standard backup camera, memory seats, full power adjustable seats, garage door opener... but it comes with navigation and bluetooth LOL

I believe backup camera is even an option on the $105k+ F type R.. correct me if im wrong

Some people rather have a cheaper car that is fully loaded... i prefer the look and feel of driving an F Type, so Im fine without some of these comfort features. I have my garage door remote on my sun visor, backup camera by Pearl RearVision, Im the only driver so no real need for memory seats, so I'm fine with the way it is.

and yes there are great leases now. If you are paying more than $400/m (tax included) with $0 down, you're paying too much

i had to pay way more since nobody in LA could locate a manual transmission in white.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:15 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

I keep seeing people saying this but has anyone on the east coast gotten a deal anywhere near this? Beyond that, the dealers in California say you have to come in in person to pick up the car.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:31 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by caviarjag
I keep seeing people saying this but has anyone on the east coast gotten a deal anywhere near this? Beyond that, the dealers in California say you have to come in in person to pick up the car.
I assume they removed your link because you can't advertise on the forum?? Newbie but saw it a minute ago and was going to respond (to the red convertible I've seen online, too, Norwood was it?) I'd personally make sure it's not an early model if Jag was working out kinks in '14s etc. and that it's Certified PreOwned vs. "for sale". Who knows what's wrong with it, carfax or not.

I've only been looking for '16s+ having read some prior years' issues, but the experts here may have different thoughts.

I want a white with white or camel interior, backup camera and sensors (Vision Package?) and don't care if S or not, so probably looking at Premium (Base). Can't have everything....but I won't pay over 55K.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:18 PM

Thanks for all your input. I have an offer from Jaguar Tampa of sign and drive $479 month for 36 months on a base. Going to try to make a deal tomorrow

818 (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 10:28 PM

That is a freaking good deal!

I wonder if it's a manual, or if they even have any available in FL.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:02 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by beachsidescott
Thanks for all your input. I have an offer from Jaguar Tampa of sign and drive $479 month for 36 months on a base. Going to try to make a deal tomorrow
Thats a good deal for southeast dealers

Old 03-24-2017, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by 818
That is a freaking good deal!

I wonder if it's a manual, or if they even have any available in FL.
I searched for a manual but couldn't find a base manual in Florida. Closest one was South Carolina

818 (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 01:45 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by beachsidescott
I searched for a manual but couldn't find a base manual in Florida. Closest one was South Carolina
Damn. I guess I'm lucky for finding one out here. It's by far the highest lease payment I've ever had. So it kinda bugs me that I'm over paying on a lease for a "cheaper car". There was only one white manual coupe in CA. STILL, A LOT of car for the money, puts a smile on my face every time I hit the start button.

I would have opted for an s package if it existed!!

Old 03-25-2017, 12:15 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Do you guys have enough money that if some hypothetical jealous jerk of your car in a gym parking lot keys it or something you don't freak out and just get it fixed...or do you park a million miles away from the door every where you go? Does the thought of oil changes over 100.00 drive you nuts? A fender bender costing...?

If I'm going to buy one of these I don't want to be worrying about every ding, scratch, etc. 55K is a lot of money for me to shell out for a car, even with a six figure salary and no kids. No idea what this administration is going to do, and imagine the inflated stock market is going to crash at some point (promises of corporate deregulation, etc. and other promises this president makes that keeps the market in constant worry).

So the question is, how many are leasers and only drive 10K miles a year, and how many buy outright? Maybe I'm playing with the wrong crowd.

Is it my practical side of the brain that says, "buy ONLY what you need right now" the only thing keeping me from having a fun car, or is this car only for "live a little" people who don't care about the high cost of maintenance etc? I have money burning a hole in my pocket from good investments, and owning only Hondas since college, but want a fun car now. Struggling with that feeling of being a douche for "wasting" money on a car. But that other side of my brain is like f it, you only live once.

Help Buy or lease...buy or lease....I could always drive my wife's car in the winter.

818 (03-25-2017)