Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you happy with your F-type base?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by GhostRider9000
Do you guys have enough money that if some hypothetical jealous jerk of your car in a gym parking lot keys it or something you don't freak out and just get it fixed...or do you park a million miles away from the door every where you go? Does the thought of oil changes over 100.00 drive you nuts? A fender bender costing...?

If I'm going to buy one of these I don't want to be worrying about every ding, scratch, etc. 55K is a lot of money for me to shell out for a car, even with a six figure salary and no kids. No idea what this administration is going to do, and imagine the inflated stock market is going to crash at some point (promises of corporate deregulation, etc. and other promises this president makes that keeps the market in constant worry).

So the question is, how many are leasers and only drive 10K miles a year, and how many buy outright? Maybe I'm playing with the wrong crowd.

Is it my practical side of the brain that says, "buy ONLY what you need right now" the only thing keeping me from having a fun car, or is this car only for "live a little" people who don't care about the high cost of maintenance etc? I have money burning a hole in my pocket from good investments, and owning only Hondas since college, but want a fun car now. Struggling with that feeling of being a douche for "wasting" money on a car. But that other side of my brain is like f it, you only live once.

Help Buy or lease...buy or lease....I could always drive my wife's car in the winter.

1. Yes, park in the farthest corner of the parking lot.
2. Would get massively freaked out by keying or fender bender, not because of the cost (can you spell "INSURANCE"?), but because of lost integrity to the paint or body.
3. Oil change is DIY, and yes...$100. Not certain any decent car costs less than that. Besides, cost of oil changes at 8k-15k miles with modern oil is less than I paid on my POS Mustang II (every 3k) 40 years ago.
4. Generally, those that can't make a long term commitment lease, those that will keep it for a couple of decades buy.
5. Maintenance: generally F-Type parts are less expensive than those for my MINI (BMW).

The following users liked this post:
GhostRider9000 (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Do you guys have enough money that if some hypothetical jealous jerk of your car in a gym parking lot keys it or something you don't freak out and just get it fixed...or do you park a million miles away from the door every where you go? Does the thought of oil changes over 100.00 drive you nuts? A fender bender costing...?

If I'm going to buy one of these I don't want to be worrying about every ding, scratch, etc. 55K is a lot of money for me to shell out for a car, even with a six figure salary and no kids. No idea what this administration is going to do, and imagine the inflated stock market is going to crash at some point (promises of corporate deregulation, etc. and other promises this president makes that keeps the market in constant worry).

So the question is, how many are leasers and only drive 10K miles a year, and how many buy outright? Maybe I'm playing with the wrong crowd.

Is it my practical side of the brain that says, "buy ONLY what you need right now" the only thing keeping me from having a fun car, or is this car only for "live a little" people who don't care about the high cost of maintenance etc? I have money burning a hole in my pocket from good investments, and owning only Hondas since college, but want a fun car now. Struggling with that feeling of being a douche for "wasting" money on a car. But that other side of my brain is like f it, you only live once.

Help Buy or lease...buy or lease....I could always drive my wife's car in the winter.
We are all one day, one breathe, from the end.

Carpe diem

The following 2 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
818 (03-25-2017), GhostRider9000 (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 03:41 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Wink

I LEASED, IT'S A NO BRAINIER HERE IN CA

Ether way, buy or lease, you sure wont regret getting this car, especially if its your first decent car. Anyone that labels this car as being a waist of money, I'd label them a HATER.

Old 03-25-2017, 04:32 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

#11 expresses my feelings exactly. Would it have killed Jaguar to put in a home link. In this day and age a back up camera is de rigueur. I'm not asking for autonomous driving, but I think the missing features represents someone's idea of the hair shirt.

The following users liked this post:
818 (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 04:45 PM

sir, not only de rigueur .... its law here in california, begining May 2018 no one can sell a new car without a backup camera. I'd mention it to my SA but I dont want to push it so much. lol.

Originally Posted by Suaro
#11 expresses my feelings exactly. Would it have killed Jaguar to put in a home link. In this day and age a back up camera is de rigueur. I'm not asking for autonomous driving, but I think the missing features represents someone's idea of the hair shirt.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:13 PM
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I have to admit, having a rear camera on the car is a very good thing.

Especially on that rare occasion that I have the top up.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all your input guys. I just got back from picking up the car. I got a pretty good deal at $475 per month, 0 at signing. I'm really going to enjoy this Jag!

Old 03-25-2017, 08:56 PM

sweet congrats scott! that's a killer deal! including tax? 0$$ drive off?

Old 03-25-2017, 09:33 PM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

You only live once.
As Jaguar adverts say, "How alive are you?"
I love every minute in my F-Type.
I wanted LSD and that eliminated the base.
I wanted the factory vision package. Back up camera a necessity, the front lights that steer into the corners are so totally cool.
I custom ordered mine: could have had a V8 for what I paid for the V6S, but I'm happy and have never wished for more power on public roads. (The V8R was a blast on the track, but how often am I going to do that?)
Hats off to those who track these very capable sports cars!

Old 03-25-2017, 11:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 818
sweet congrats scott! that's a killer deal! including tax? 0$$ drive off?
Yep- zero at signing, $475 a month including tax. Jaguar of Tampa, they have a few more base models. I also talked to Crown Jaguar in St Petersburg, they seemed willing to do a similar deal too. I think the key to getting this deal is finding a dealer who will lease through US Bank

Old 03-25-2017, 11:22 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by beachsidescott
Yep- zero at signing, $475 a month including tax. Jaguar of Tampa, they have a few more base models. I also talked to Crown Jaguar in St Petersburg, they seemed willing to do a similar deal too. I think the key to getting this deal is finding a dealer who will lease through US Bank
i'm with US bank too, this just means i got raped harder than i thought on this lease. LOL. Paying almost $4,000 more than you in 36 months, just because i had to have a manual.... hahahahaha

Last edited by 818; 03-26-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by beachsidescott
Thanks for all your input guys. I just got back from picking up the car. I got a pretty good deal at $475 per month, 0 at signing. I'm really going to enjoy this Jag!

Your last two sentences, especially the last one, are gross understatements.

Congratulations and happy motoring.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 818
Paying almost $4,000 more than you in 36 months, just because i had to have a manual.... hahahahaha
I would have paid $10k more to get an MT.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:01 AM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Gotta use your street smarts ...

When i go to the gym, I'm driving a crrysler town & country minivan, .My work ride.

Why would anyone bring a hot looking ride to the gym unless they are trying to be a poser.

Last edited by Ubad2; 03-26-2017 at 03:03 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-26-2017, 03:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ubad2
Why would anyone bring a hot looking ride to the gym unless they are trying to be a poser.
Maybe it's the only car they got.

Old 03-26-2017, 10:00 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Maybe it's the only car they got.
Also, given the choice, why wouldn't you? Unless you don't like driving the car, why wouldn't you drive it every opportunity?

Old 03-26-2017, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by caviarjag
Also, given the choice, why wouldn't you? Unless you don't like driving the car, why wouldn't you drive it every opportunity?
Agreed. I have 4 cars and would almost always take my F-Type whenever I can. To, yes, even the crowded supermarket. Of course I'm also judicious about where I park the bloody thing.

Old 03-26-2017, 12:37 PM

))) exactly, always been the one to get the best deal, in this case it's still the best deal.... Hahaha
Originally Posted by Unhingd
I would have paid $10k more to get an MT.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:30 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by NigelW
I have to admit, having a rear camera on the car is a very good thing.

Especially on that rare occasion that I have the top up.
I am told by the dealer that he can retro-fit the OEM rear view camera at a reasonable price. I don't remember what the price was. Seems like a good idea to me. Has any one around here done that and able to comment on the functionality? I think that and a set of chrome bonnet louvers and I will be set for a while. I had played with the idea of a spare and decided against it. Just upgraded the AAA tow to 200 miles instead.