F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You must paddle (not auto) shift when in dynamic sport mode?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 08:03 PM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default You must paddle (not auto) shift when in dynamic sport mode?

Possible FYI for F-Type owners wishing to make sure they do not needlessly damage their car -- I think I read this in the manual.

If you're in sport mode shifting but not in dynamic mode, and you haven't touched the paddle shifters, then the transmission will go through the shifts automatically without you having to do anything but hit the gas and brakes.

Same thing if you're in drive mode shifting and in dynamic mode.

But if you're in sport mode shifting and in dynamic mode, then the transmission won't automatically shift for you. You need to hit the paddles to shift. So if you're in this mode and you floor it, but you do not touch the paddle shifters, it's not good for the engine because you're providing too much power in the wrong gear.

Not sure if the above is right but I think it's what the manual says.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by lunagry
So if you're in this mode and you floor it, but you do not touch the paddle shifters, it's not good for the engine because you're providing too much power in the wrong gear.
This is not true. The engine is not being hurt by this. The rev. limiter prevents engine damage, that's the whole point.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:18 PM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks. Let me see if I can find the page in the manual where I read the above (about the transmission not shifting up if you're in sport dynamic mode).

I'm just trying to make sure I don't do anything to create maintenance / service issues. I've had too many sports cars go from my fantasy cars to my nightmare because they weren't reliable.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:14 PM
Banned
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by lunagry
Thanks. Let me see if I can find the page in the manual where I read the above (about the transmission not shifting up if you're in sport dynamic mode).

I'm just trying to make sure I don't do anything to create maintenance / service issues. I've had too many sports cars go from my fantasy cars to my nightmare because they weren't reliable.
Yes and No.
Yes, Sport mode + Dynamic mode + Paddles results in a true Manual Shift mode. Transmission will not upshift or downshift (automatically) unless manually directed to do so by use of the paddles.

No, you are not likely to blow up your engine. the rev-limiter will simply cut fuel to the engine if you run RPM's into the redline. I also believe that if you repeated hit the rev-limiter while in this setting, the electronics will revert the settings to engage automatic shifts.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 581 Likes on 340 Posts

just don't downshift in the wrong gear

Old 09-24-2014, 06:05 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by aJAGMan
Yes and No.
Yes, Sport mode + Dynamic mode + Paddles results in a true Manual Shift mode. Transmission will not upshift or downshift (automatically) unless manually directed to do so by use of the paddles.

No, you are not likely to blow up your engine. the rev-limiter will simply cut fuel to the engine if you run RPM's into the redline. I also believe that if you repeated hit the rev-limiter while in this setting, the electronics will revert the settings to engage automatic shifts.
It will downshift automatically when coming to a stop, but won't kick down automatically if you floor it.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
just don't downshift in the wrong gear

The rev limiter won't protect you if you put in too many downshifts at high rpm...