Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your pothole experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts
Default Your pothole experiences?

So I've hit two worth talking about since owning this car. Not just basic potholes, but severe ones. Both times I was sure I had popped my tires.

First one in November of last year, when I was in Carmel Valley on a back road just cruising around. Not so much a pothole, as much as a tree root pushing up the concrete in a way that wasn't visible, and ****WHAMMMM****... a panicked moment after the passenger side front wheel slams into the upper body of the car. All seems / looked well, and nothing ever became of it.

About 2 months ago, I was in Sonoma, and I hit a totally unseen, yet giant, pothole on the driver's left front, and another **WHAMM** into the upper body of the car.

I guess this is not an off road machine.

But namely I am describing my experience, and to learn more about yours, because I am trying to figure out if it is related to the problem my dealer just fixed.

My left fender and headlamp were very "loose" and jiggly, and the lines of the car were obviously "off". I had them repair it, and they said "a bolt, or bolts, just 'fell' out. Not sure how something like that happens".

Zero damage, or issue, but could that pothole have caused that problem, and/or have any of you had a similar issue on the fender (wiggly headlamps due to a missing bolt), or had any problems with potholes?

[looks like the known issues thread is a bit dead, so thought a new thread would be ok.]

Old 11-02-2016, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 728 Likes on 501 Posts

My pot hole hit came last spring. Only damage was a slightly bent wheel which thankfully was easily fixed. Rest of the car was fine.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (11-03-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

My pothole encounter occurred during a full throttle sharp and blind turn on an on-ramp to the Beltway. Cracked the rear wheel which the wheel insurer replaced ( front and rear tires were taking different lines through the turn). I called the State Highway Department and the pothole was fixed within 3 days. Body parts and alignment remained intact.

Uncle Fishbits (11-03-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

okay cool.... I drove a car much higher from the ground until this, and I've not felt anything jarring like that. I am sure it's built to withstand as much as possible, but it's a scary experience in this car. I didn't even think to call and fix the pothole... good on you! I know there are a number of ways to do so now, as well. I'll do so next time for sure.

Old 11-03-2016, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

My pothole experience? Can't say I would recommend, but at least service was quick - I was in and out in no time at all.

Unhingd (11-03-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
My pothole experience? Can't say I would recommend, but at least service was quick - I was in and out in no time at all.
lol

Old 11-04-2016, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

I never really had major issues with potholes and my Jags. My XJL has a nasty dent in the rim that needs to be taken care of. im worried about the 20's on my XFR, i've heard those things are softer than putty.

my BMW on the other hand. that thing was a DISASTER!! 3 bent rims and 7 "bubbled" tires over the course of 3 years